The Student Room Group

Thought on Further maths

So basically this year i've taken Accounting, Maths and ICT.

I want to study maths at university, nothing like oxford or anything but a decent one. I'm starting year 13 in september and I've got the option to take further maths at AS level which I am definitely taking that opportunity.

There is also a thing where I can do the full further maths A level in one year, but I would be in lessons for the AS side of it and need to self teach the A2 side. Has anyone actually self taught further maths, if you have tell me what it's like and would you recommend it.

Also would you recommend it to me, I am good at maths I got an A* at GCSE and most likely an A at AS level maths.
Reply 1
Which exam board are you with?

For edexcel, if you want to do the whole f. Maths in one year you need to do C3-4 first

If you understand the concepts f.maths isn't hard to teach yourself, however, some of the topics may be tricky at first so you may need a teachers help. Bear in mind however, you probably will have to go ahead in AS further maths (meaning you'll have to teach yourself a lot), as A2 further relies on AS

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by crayolaguy
So basically this year i've taken Accounting, Maths and ICT.

I want to study maths at university, nothing like oxford or anything but a decent one. I'm starting year 13 in september and I've got the option to take further maths at AS level which I am definitely taking that opportunity.

There is also a thing where I can do the full further maths A level in one year, but I would be in lessons for the AS side of it and need to self teach the A2 side. Has anyone actually self taught further maths, if you have tell me what it's like and would you recommend it.

Also would you recommend it to me, I am good at maths I got an A* at GCSE and most likely an A at AS level maths.

If you're intending to do Maths, you really ought to at least do AS Further Maths, which is what you're intending to do anyway. Regarding the full A Level, it would undoubtedly look good but it's not compulsory. Self-teaching a subject is always much more difficult than being taught it. If you feel that you are super confident with AS Maths then sure, go for it. You might as well have a go and in the worst case scenario, just do the AS.

I self taught myself most of AS Maths and Further Maths. It wasn't easy, but I feel that I have a better understanding of the topics than my classmates because I had to actually teach myself things rather than being spoonfed.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Chlorophile
If you're intending to do Maths, you really ought to at least do AS Further Maths, which is what you're intending to do anyway. Regarding the full A Level, it would undoubtedly look good but it's not compulsory. Self-teaching a subject is always much more difficult than being taught it. If you feel that you are super confident with AS Maths then sure, go for it. You might as well have a go and in the worst case scenario, just do the AS.

I self taught myself most of AS Maths and Further Maths. It wasn't easy, but I feel that I have a better understanding of the topics than my classmates because I had to actually teach myself things rather than being spoonfed.

Yeah, I self taught some stuff in AS maths, well i dno about self taught but just went into more depth than the teacher ever did and it really did help me.

I am really determined with maths and if it were any other subject I know I wouldn't be able to teach it but with maths I just kinda never give up. And yeah you are right it isn't compulsory and an AS further maths would probably do the trick for a university I want to go to. I just kind of really like maths and just want to do it for a challenge and it would no doubt help me in university too with some content.

Right now I am actually self teaching core 3 over the summer, not because I think it will help me (I mean it probably will) but because I am just interested in learning it and I can't wait until september to start haha.

Thanks for the advise anyway, I think I am just going to wait for my AS results in maths anyway and see what I get. I am hoping for 100UMS in core 2 and probably 85+ in D1 and C1.
Reply 4
Original post by Gome44
Which exam board are you with?

For edexcel, if you want to do the whole f. Maths in one year you need to do C3-4 first

If you understand the concepts f.maths isn't hard to teach yourself, however, some of the topics may be tricky at first so you may need a teachers help. Bear in mind however, you probably will have to go ahead in AS further maths (meaning you'll have to teach yourself a lot), as A2 further relies on AS

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for the reply,

I am going to be doing it with AQA, does that make a difference? Also yeah, I am probably going to need to go to my teachers in order to get help from them because I will no doubt get stuck on some of the topics. I also have some friends on skype who have done further maths A2 already because they've finished year 13 and I discuss with them stuff a lot of the time.
Yeah, I self taught some stuff in AS maths, well i dno about self taught but just went into more depth than the teacher ever did and it really did help me.

I am really determined with maths and if it were any other subject I know I wouldn't be able to teach it but with maths I just kinda never give up. And yeah you are right it isn't compulsory and an AS further maths would probably do the trick for a university I want to go to. I just kind of really like maths and just want to do it for a challenge and it would no doubt help me in university too with some content.

Right now I am actually self teaching core 3 over the summer, not because I think it will help me (I mean it probably will) but because I am just interested in learning it and I can't wait until september to start haha.

Thanks for the advise anyway, I think I am just going to wait for my AS results in maths anyway and see what I get. I am hoping for 100UMS in core 2 and probably 85+ in D1 and C1.

Core 3 is pretty easy to self-teach so that's a good start. The trigonometry can be a pain though.
Reply 6
Thanks for the reply,

I am going to be doing it with AQA, does that make a difference? Also yeah, I am probably going to need to go to my teachers in order to get help from them because I will no doubt get stuck on some of the topics. I also have some friends on skype who have done further maths A2 already because they've finished year 13 and I discuss with them stuff a lot of the time.

I would say from looking at past papers, AQA is probably harder than Edexcel, but that's just my opinion

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by Gome44
I would say from looking at past papers, AQA is probably harder than Edexcel, but that's just my opinion

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hmm alright, well I'd rather not think about which one is harder since I can only take AQA. I would rather just think about doing well. I'm sure it's not much harder (if it even is).
Reply 8
For a university like nottingham or lancaster, do they care about GCSE's much? and would they care about how terrible my GCSE's are. I want to apply for just maths.

GCSE's:

Maths - A*
Core Science - B
Additional Science - B
IT - B
Business Studies - B
French - C
English - C
Geography - C
P.E - C

Quick Reply

Latest