The Student Room Group

Self Studying A Level History?

hey guys. I'm an international student from Syria whose going to take his A Levels this year. I am going to take three fast track A Levels as that's how our school organizes it. I'll be doing Maths,Economics and History. My question is will I be able to cope with self studying history? I'm taking both AS & A2 in May/June. How hard will it be? I love history and do not mind all the reading and memorizing..the only thing nagging at me is the essay technique. I'm not particularly great at writing essays and the A Level essays I've read so far have been so fantastic that I've been thoroughly convinced I won't be able to do it. Is it THAT hard? My goal is to achieve at least a B. Any advice would be helpful. PS: I'd have all the books that I need however I won't have any teacher to guide me and assign/mark essays :l

Scroll to see replies

It is do-able definitely, difficult but not impossible, but you will definitely need someone to assign + mark essays. Someone on TSR (Myself included) would be willing to help with essay technique + mark for you (i study history at university and will be doing teacher training in the next couple of years). Out of curiosity which exam board would you be studying with?
Reply 2
Original post by AndrewGrace
It is do-able definitely, difficult but not impossible, but you will definitely need someone to assign + mark essays. Someone on TSR (Myself included) would be willing to help with essay technique + mark for you (i study history at university and will be doing teacher training in the next couple of years). Out of curiosity which exam board would you be studying with?

Thanks for the reply. I'm an international student so I'll have to do the CIE exam board. There is no coursework but I have four components/modules. I have a list of topics to choose from for each component..they are:

Component 1:
- Liberalism & Nationalism in Germany & Italy (1848-1871)
-The Origins of the U.S. Civil War (1846-1861)
-The Search for International Peace & Security (League of Nations) 1919-1945

Component 2:
-Modern Europe (1789-1917)
-The History of the USA (1840-1941)
-International Relations (1871-1945)

Component 3:
-The Causes & Impacts of British Imperialism (1850-1939)
-The Holocaust
-The Origins & Development of the Cold War (1941-1950)

Component 4:
-Europe of the Dictators (1918-1941)
-The History of the USA (1945-1990)
-International History (1945-1991)

So basically like I said,I choose one topic for each component. What do you think of my modules? They seem pretty interesting.

Do you really think some people on here would be nice enough to mark my essays from time to time?
Original post by Abdo332
Thanks for the reply. I'm an international student so I'll have to do the CIE exam board. There is no coursework but I have four components/modules. I have a list of topics to choose from for each component..they are:

Component 1:
-The Origins of the U.S. Civil War (1846-1861)
-The Search for International Peace & Security (League of Nations) 1919-1945

Component 2:
-Modern Europe (1789-1917)
-International Relations (1871-1945)

Component 3:
-The Causes & Impacts of British Imperialism (1850-1939)
-The Holocaust

Component 4:
-Europe of the Dictators (1918-1941)
-The History of the USA (1945-1990)
-International History (1945-1991)

So basically like I said,I choose one topic for each component. What do you think of my modules? They seem pretty interesting.

Do you really think some people on here would be nice enough to mark my essays from time to time?

In terms of your modules, there are a mix of excellent options and frankly some poor sounding ones. I personally would be looking at doing

component 1

component 2
- Either
-Modern Europe (1789-1917) or

component 3

component 4 (none of these interest me) But would probably settle on
- Europe of the Dictators (1918-1941)

Definitely, as i said i would be willing to mark, as it allows me to gain experience in the marking of A-level essays. I'm sure others would be willing to as well (although i can't speak for them for definite)
Reply 4
In terms of your modules, there are a mix of excellent options and frankly some poor sounding ones. I personally would be looking at doing

component 1

component 2
- Either
-Modern Europe (1789-1917) or

component 3

component 4 (none of these interest me) But would probably settle on
- Europe of the Dictators (1918-1941)

Definitely, as i said i would be willing to mark, as it allows me to gain experience in the marking of A-level essays. I'm sure others would be willing to as well (although i can't speak for them for definite)

Wow that would be absolutely wonderful. Thanks a lot,man!

The only problem I'm having is I cannot seem to find past year papers for the A Level CIE board. I am only able to find papers for: Component 2 (Modern Europe & The History of the USA) Component 4 (International History).

There are no past papers for component 1 & 3. Also for component 2 & 4 I'm not absolutely sure that I'd want to do those specific modules and had others in mind.
Any way around this?
Original post by Abdo332
Wow that would be absolutely wonderful. Thanks a lot,man!

The only problem I'm having is I cannot seem to find past year papers for the A Level CIE board. I am only able to find papers for: Component 2 (Modern Europe & The History of the USA) Component 4 (International History).

There are no past papers for component 1 & 3. Also for component 2 & 4 I'm not absolutely sure that I'd want to do those specific modules and had others in mind.
Any way around this?

You are free to choose whichever ones you wish. Having past papers would be a massive bonus, so if for component 2 and 4 those are the only ones you can find them for then do those. As for 1 and 3, again i was only suggesting what i personally would do, and you are free to choose whatever is on offer.
Reply 6
You are free to choose whichever ones you wish. Having past papers would be a massive bonus, so if for component 2 and 4 those are the only ones you can find them for then do those. As for 1 and 3, again i was only suggesting what i personally would do, and you are free to choose whatever is on offer.

Yeah I think that's for the best. There are past papers for Components 2 & 4 but there aren't any for components 1 & 3 no matter which topic I choose.
Reply 7

Yeah I think that's for the best. There are past papers for Components 2 & 4 but there aren't any for components 1 & 3 no matter which topic I choose.
Reply 8
Original post by Abdo332
hey guys. I'm an international student from Syria whose going to take his A Levels this year. I am going to take three fast track A Levels as that's how our school organizes it. I'll be doing Maths,Economics and History. My question is will I be able to cope with self studying history? I'm taking both AS & A2 in May/June. How hard will it be? I love history and do not mind all the reading and memorizing..the only thing nagging at me is the essay technique. I'm not particularly great at writing essays and the A Level essays I've read so far have been so fantastic that I've been thoroughly convinced I won't be able to do it. Is it THAT hard? My goal is to achieve at least a B. Any advice would be helpful. PS: I'd have all the books that I need however I won't have any teacher to guide me and assign/mark essays :l

1) did you pruchase the CIE recommended textbook?
2) Are you doing the A levels in this 2014 Oct/Nov session?
3) Are you allowed to sit for the AS levels first this 2014 Oct/Nov session and then do the A2 next May 2015?
Reply 9
Original post by Maura Kat
1) did you pruchase the CIE recommended textbook?
2) Are you doing the A levels in this 2014 Oct/Nov session?
3) Are you allowed to sit for the AS levels first this 2014 Oct/Nov session and then do the A2 next May 2015?

1) What text book are you referring to?
2) I'm doing them in May/June 2015
3) I am allowed but I do not know if I have time to cover the whole AS by then.

Thanks for your input!
Original post by Abdo332
1) What text book are you referring to?
2) I'm doing them in May/June 2015
3) I am allowed but I do not know if I have time to cover the whole AS by then.

Thanks for your input!

CIE recommends textbooks for every subject they offer.
it can be found here.
http://education.cambridge.org/uk/subject/history

what books are you using for History?
Reply 11
CIE recommends textbooks for every subject they offer.
it can be found here.
http://education.cambridge.org/uk/subject/history

what books are you using for History?

I couldn't find books specifically made by CIE so I used books on my topics from other exam boards like Edexcel,OCR..etc.

Are you self studying history or studied it as well? Are you familiar with any of the modules?
Hey,
I'm self studying the same syllabus too, doing Liberalism & Nationalism in Italy and Germany for P1 and International Relations 1871 to 1945 for P2. I'll be doing the AS in May/June 2015. If you want the past papers, the May/June 2014 ones were online for literally about a week before they disappeared :tongue: I can PM them to you if you like?
Other than that, the only resources I've got are the textbooks and Mr. Allsop's History Podcasts. I'm screwed :tongue:

Would you be open to swapping essays and things like that? Have you decided on your components yet?
Best of luck! :biggrin:
Reply 13
Original post by KythingToWrite
Hey,
I'm self studying the same syllabus too, doing Liberalism & Nationalism in Italy and Germany for P1 and International Relations 1871 to 1945 for P2. I'll be doing the AS in May/June 2015. If you want the past papers, the May/June 2014 ones were online for literally about a week before they disappeared :tongue: I can PM them to you if you like?
Other than that, the only resources I've got are the textbooks and Mr. Allsop's History Podcasts. I'm screwed :tongue:

Would you be open to swapping essays and things like that? Have you decided on your components yet?
Best of luck! :biggrin:

Hey yeah man, that sounds good! And yep,I've decided on my components!

I'll be doing: Liberalism and Nationalism in Italy & Germany, Modern Europe, The Holocaust, International Relations 1945-1990

Sucks that we don't really have the same components :s I already got my books!
Original post by Abdo332
Hey yeah man, that sounds good! And yep,I've decided on my components!

I'll be doing: Liberalism and Nationalism in Italy & Germany, Modern Europe, The Holocaust, International Relations 1945-1990

Sucks that we don't really have the same components :s I already got my books!

Yeah, it does :/ Still, if you search for Mr Allsop History, he has podcasts that cover all of the Modern Europe component if I recall correctly. They're really helpful :smile:
Are you doing all the papers at once?
Reply 15
Original post by KythingToWrite
Yeah, it does :/ Still, if you search for Mr Allsop History, he has podcasts that cover all of the Modern Europe component if I recall correctly. They're really helpful :smile:
Are you doing all the papers at once?

Yeah I checked them out! They're really great,thanks!*And yes, I am! All in May/June :s
Hey
I don't think you need a teacher for history, personally my teacher made my topic boring. Watching documentaries whilst making notes is how I personally revised, and then making a timeline memorising all the dates. My teacher thought I was going to get a C/D but I ended up with an A :P

If you need any help with essay structure or peer marking I'm happy to help :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
Original post by Alltimesarah
Hey
I don't think you need a teacher for history, personally my teacher made my topic boring. Watching documentaries whilst making notes is how I personally revised, and then making a timeline memorising all the dates. My teacher thought I was going to get a C/D but I ended up with an A :P

If you need any help with essay structure or peer marking I'm happy to help :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

About the teacher thing, I've been thinking the same thing as well to be honest. Documentaries sound like a good way to revise the material while still being entertained on some level.

And wow, that really is nice of you. If it wasn't too much trouble that'd really be great. :smile:
Original post by Alltimesarah
Hey

Posted from TSR Mobile

many of the teachers i had were terrible. they just simply were not interested in teaching.
which exam board were you with for history?
which components did you have to study?
what pointers can you give us especially question that have a passage attached to it?
i always found that intimidating for some reason.
many of the teachers i had were terrible. they just simply were not interested in teaching.
which exam board were you with for history?
which components did you have to study?
what pointers can you give us especially question that have a passage attached to it?
i always found that intimidating for some reason.

Ngl my teachers were pretty good at teaching
aqa
in my as year Tsarist Russia and Vietnam, this year more modern Russia and British politics
Like a source? Just know your topic really well and apply that knowledge to a phrase or sentence
Also another tip is to go through examiner reports and pick out what went well and not so well, likelihood is they'll throw you more of what didn't go well that year (if that makes sense)
Oh and always through in a statistic that's relevant :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending