The Student Room Group

My dentist won't give me braces...

Hello, I have always hated my teeth, I still have 4 baby teeth and I am 19 years old, all my teeth have gaps and are not straight at all, yet my dentist says I don't need them and that my teeth are fine.

Now this really annoys me because my teeth literally make me depressed, I hate to smile because my teeth are so horrible, I have a huge gap between my two front teeth and it just annoys me, I have seen so many people get braces because they have one bad tooth, yet here I am, all my teeth are horrible and I get told I can not have them, is there a way I can get braces still? Because I know I should trust the dentist but I really don't know what he is on because my teeth are so horrible and it really does upset me.

Scroll to see replies

No offence but why are you trying to get them now at 19? I think unless you're in school still you'd have to pay for them now. Maybe that's why he is reluctant? Or maybe you should try a different dentist/go private. There is no cut off age limit for braces, but you will have to pay a lot for them.
Original post by LavenderBlueSky88
No offence but why are you trying to get them now at 19? I think unless you're in school still you'd have to pay for them now. Maybe that's why he is reluctant? Or maybe you should try a different dentist/go private. There is no cut off age limit for braces, but you will have to pay a lot for them.

I have been trying to get them way before I was 18 and was always told I can not get them, I am willing to pay for braces myself as I want them that bad, I have always wanted braces but always got told no by the dentist when in fact I really do need them.
Original post by SoullessOnyx
I have been trying to get them way before I was 18 and was always told I can not get them, I am willing to pay for braces myself as I want them that bad, I have always wanted braces but always got told no by the dentist when in fact I really do need them.

That's incredibly bizarre. Has he explained why not? It might be that your problems couldn't be fixed by braces. Usually dentists give them out all over the place so there must be a reason why. I'd try and get a referral to an orthodontist.
Reply 4
It's the same sort of situation with me and my sister, my sisters teeth in everyone's opinion aren't as bad as my teeth, yet the dentist said that I don't need them whereas she does.

I've begged and begged for braces but i can't get them :frown:
Original post by LavenderBlueSky88
That's incredibly bizarre. Has he explained why not? It might be that your problems couldn't be fixed by braces. Usually dentists give them out all over the place so there must be a reason why. I'd try and get a referral to an orthodontist.

Agreed, he never gave me a reason, just that I don't need them for some reason, yet everyone I know says I do need them, I have always hated my teeth and it really kicks my confidence down, it always has.. I just want braces!! I am the one paying for them so I don't see the big deal... It is just I see so many people with perfect teeth and they get braces and it just annoys me.

Agreed, he never gave me a reason, just that I don't need them for some reason, yet everyone I know says I do need them, I have always hated my teeth and it really kicks my
confidence down, it always has.. I just want braces!! I am the one paying for them so I don't see the big deal... It is just I see so many people with perfect teeth and they get braces and it just annoys me.

That's terrible. Have you thought about going to an orthodontist and seeing if you can get a private consultation?
Original post by esjae
It's the same sort of situation with me and my sister, my sisters teeth in everyone's opinion aren't as bad as my teeth, yet the dentist said that I don't need them whereas she does.

I've begged and begged for braces but i can't get them :frown:

I feel your pain, it just annoys me so much!
Pics?
Original post by anonymouspie227
That's terrible. Have you thought about going to an orthodontist and seeing if you can get a private consultation?

No, I have not thought of this, but now I shall do this! Hopefully they can do something! =)
Reply 10
I feel your pain, it just annoys me so much!

It sucks because I'd love to be able to smile with confidence but I can't
Braces are more commonly given to people with overbite or underbites because that affects your eating. You can't get free orthodontic treatment over 18 and if it is mainly cosmetic reasons you'll need to go private. Check out invisalign as well.
They seem to give them to people who really have no need for them and don't want them, while those that want and need them are refused treatment :/
I've had them for 20 months and I've seen no change in my teeth, there was absolutely nothing wrong with them, but a pushy mother seemed to convince everyone that I did... now I'm 16 I've told her that I hate having them, and they've made no difference, so I'm finally getting them off tomorrow :3
So my "solution" was pushy parents, but as OP is older than the 12 year old I was when I first started ortho treatment, it might not work out, but you could give it a try?
Reply 13
You'll have to pay being 19, my best friend got them and had to pay £2,500 so they're not cheap by any means
Hello, I have always hated my teeth, I still have 4 baby teeth and I am 19 years old, all my teeth have gaps and are not straight at all, yet my dentist says I don't need them and that my teeth are fine.

Now this really annoys me because my teeth literally make me depressed, I hate to smile because my teeth are so horrible, I have a huge gap between my two front teeth and it just annoys me, I have seen so many people get braces because they have one bad tooth, yet here I am, all my teeth are horrible and I get told I can not have them, is there a way I can get braces still? Because I know I should trust the dentist but I really don't know what he is on because my teeth are so horrible and it really does upset me.

I used to have the exact same thing. My teeth were very gappy and I hated the appearance but my dentist told me they were fine and would not qualify for braces. It's just because obviously, it costs them a lot of money and usually if your teeth are gappy but have fine alignment, they don't give braces. I ended up going to a private dentist where you have to pay quite a lot but they give braces to anyone. It's just unfortunate because of the price! However, if it's something that really bothers you, I'd say it's worth it. Good luck and I hope everything works out :smile:
I was told I don't need braces either when I was under 18 even though I really wanted them and my confidence was low because I was not happy with my teeth. There has been cuts made of the NHS so it's difficult to get braces under NHS if you're under 18, unless you manage to get on the waiting list in dental hospitals but the waiting list can take years.
However if you're over 18 you will need to pay privately for braces unless you're in full time education. But being over 18 in general makes everything harder.
When I started working I paid privately for braces. I got invisalign last year and it has been the best purchase I have made.
Original post by ice cube
I was told I don't need braces either when I was under 18 even though I really wanted them and my confidence was low because I was not happy with my teeth. There has been cuts made of the NHS so it's difficult to get braces under NHS if you're under 18, unless you manage to get on the waiting list in dental hospitals but the waiting list can take years.
However if you're over 18 you will need to pay privately for braces unless you're in full time education. But being over 18 in general makes everything harder.
When I started working I paid privately for braces. I got invisalign last year and it has been the best purchase I have made.

How much is the total cost of the braces?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Blyts-_
How much is the total cost of the braces?

Posted from TSR Mobile

£3000 for me :colondollar:
Original post by ice cube
£3000 for me :colondollar:

Oh wow, how much are you paying per month

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Blyts-_
Oh wow, how much are you paying per month

Posted from TSR Mobile

I paid for it all at once because that way I got a discount. I think that's the average price though especially in London.

Latest