The Student Room Group

Official Ivy League Applicants 2016 Entry

This is a thread for those of us going into Year 12/13 in September, who want to apply to any of the Ivy League Colleges in the US (UK applicants). The Ivy League includes:

Dartmouth

Cornell

Harvard

Princeton

Brown

Yale

Penn

Columbia

Give this criteria (if you haven't received your GCSEs, write your expectation and then edit on or after Results day):

"Course:
Top 3 Colleges:
GCSEs:
A Level Subjects:
Financial Aid Needed?:
SAT?:
SAT II?:
ACT?:
Scores?:
AP:
IB:
Extra Curricular's:
Awards:
Advice:
Anything else relevant:"

Me:

Course: History OR History and Biology
Top 3 Colleges: Harvard, Yale and Princeton
GCSEs: 4A*, 3A's, 1B, 2C's (with Extenuating Circumstances)
A Level Subjects: English Literature, History, Biology and Philosophy
Financial Aid Needed?: Yes
SAT?: No
SAT II?: Yes - Molecular Biology, Literature and either Ecological Biology or World/US History
ACT?: Yes - October.
Scores?: Not yet obtained.
AP: No
IB: No
Extra Curriculars: Reading, Writing Poetry, Equestrian (etc., I have a full list)
Awards: National Competitions for Poetry, Student Dedication Award, LAMDA Grade 4 Distinction, etc.
Advice: Start looking early and get all of the information you can and also, attend USA College Day in London.
Anything else relevant: Reader, attend a private school in Cambridge, related to Harvard alumni.
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

to get in to really good ivy league schools, you must score a high number in your SAT examinations. For me, I got in to Harvard Law School because I managed to get a really good number (and with extenuating circumstances too) in my SATS. Your GCSES/A LEVELS needn't apply but it is worth getting decent grades with it.
Reply 2
Original post by maryamzahid
to get in to really good ivy league schools, you must score a high number in your SAT examinations. For me, I got in to Harvard Law School because I managed to get a really good number (and with extenuating circumstances too) in my SATS. Your GCSES/A LEVELS needn't apply but it is worth getting decent grades with it.

Isn't that for Grad. School though? Because for College entry they told me they are interested in ALEVELS and GCSEs... I can understand why they wouldn't be so interested for Graduate Schools.
Original post by JayJay-C19
Isn't that for Grad. School though? Because for College entry they told me they are interested in ALEVELS and GCSEs... I can understand why they wouldn't be so interested for Graduate Schools.

hmm, when I contacted them they seemed ok with it, plus I did get A*'s in 3 of my A-Levels. the best thing to do is to take your SAT's get a good 780-799/800 and do well in your A-Levels.
Reply 4
hmm, when I contacted them they seemed ok with it, plus I did get A*'s in 3 of my A-Levels. the best thing to do is to take your SAT's get a good 780-799/800 and do well in your A-Levels.

Great. Do you have any advice for UK applicants and on how to do well in the SAT Subject Tests, SAT and/or ACT?
Great. Do you have any advice for UK applicants and on how to do well in the SAT Subject Tests, SAT and/or ACT?

revise early and from the beginning, get a revision guide from ebay or amazon and just go for it. But at the same time, keep up with your a-levels as they are important.
Look at the things which international students (as you will be one) are allowed to do in the states. There are job limitations so please be aware of that.
You might as well look at the culture too, when I got in to Harvard, they offered as part of my scholarship a taste session in USA but as I decided I wanted to stay in the UK I couldn't go.
Good Luck with it :smile:
Reply 6
revise early and from the beginning, get a revision guide from ebay or amazon and just go for it. But at the same time, keep up with your a-levels as they are important.
Look at the things which international students (as you will be one) are allowed to do in the states. There are job limitations so please be aware of that.
You might as well look at the culture too, when I got in to Harvard, they offered as part of my scholarship a taste session in USA but as I decided I wanted to stay in the UK I couldn't go.
Good Luck with it :smile:

Thank you for your advice. What about the applications?

Yes, the culture and so on is one thing my parents were concerned about.

What? You need an undergraduate degree before being able to do a law degree in the USA.

Are you talking about the LSAT?
Original post by ThatPerson
What? You need an undergraduate degree before being able to do a law degree in the USA.

Are you talking about the LSAT?

no no, I was going to do Sociology in Harvard, but they offered me a Law scholarship (because I did say I had an interest during my initial interview) granted that I did the LSAT but I decided against it and they were ok with it. But yes, applicants have to do that exam before applying there.
Thank you for your advice. What about the applications?

Yes, the culture and so on is one thing my parents were concerned about.

try to take a holiday there, a college road trip which is the norm for most American students there. look at other universities outside the ivy league as they are still as good as those. I think I wanted to study at Portland University as well and they had a really good sociology course. :smile:
Also applications are different in the USA, you have to apply before a certain date (which I have forgotten). Look it up online :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 9

try to take a holiday there, a college road trip which is the norm for most American students there. look at other universities outside the ivy league as they are still as good as those. I think I wanted to study at Portland University as well and they had a really good sociology course. :smile:

That's expensive though. I guess I could try to do that next year.
no no, I was going to do Sociology in Harvard, but they offered me a Law scholarship (because I did say I had an interest during my initial interview) granted that I did the LSAT but I decided against it and they were ok with it. But yes, applicants have to do that exam before applying there.

Also applications are different in the USA, you have to apply before a certain date (which I have forgotten). Look it up online :smile:

So have you done an undergraduate degree?
That's expensive though. I guess I could try to do that next year.

you should try, I wanted to do that as well.
Original post by ThatPerson
So have you done an undergraduate degree?

No, that was the whole point because I knew this was the case but they still offered me a place to get ready to study it there. Without going in to too much detail, it was a basically like a foundation degree but American which in my point of view, wasn't worth it.
Reply 12
*bump*
I would like to point out that a 799 is an impossible score to get.
Test scores are not everything to the ivies. I've seen a lot of people with 2400/2400 on their SATs getting rejected. Not having a 780-800 on all sections will not make or break you. The middle 50% of test scores for the ivies usually falls between 2100-2300.
I have a friend (URM) who was waitlisted at Penn with a 1860 SAT score and one (w/ legacy) who was rejected with a 2250 SAT score.
Solid SAT scores and A-levels will make you competitive, but that alone will not give you admission.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
Original post by savoir-faire
I would like to point out that a 799 is an impossible score to get.
Test scores are not everything to the ivies. I've seen a lot of people with 2400/2400 on their SATs getting rejected. Not having a 780-800 on all sections will not make or break you. The middle 50% of test scores for the ivies usually falls between 2100-2300.
I have a friend (URM) who was waitlisted at Penn with a 1860 SAT score and one (w/ legacy) who was rejected with a 2250 SAT score.
Solid SAT scores and A-levels will make you competitive, but that alone will not give you admission.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I agree after looking into it a lot more.
Also, I'm questioning the validity of maryamzahid's posts because SATs really don't matter for post grad studies. In fact the SAT has no bearing whatsoever in Harvard Law School.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
Also, I'm questioning the validity of maryamzahid's posts because SATs really don't matter for post grad studies. In fact the SAT has no bearing whatsoever in Harvard Law School.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I was also wondering because I asked for some advice and everything given was very... Like... nothing out of the ordinary and she was given this amazing opportunity and din't even go to look at Harvard... just turned it down... I don't know.

Why are you even bothering to troll this? You've been posting on A Level threads this year, and you say that you've firmed Liverpool for law. It's quite hilarious how pathetic this is.
I was also wondering because I asked for some advice and everything given was very... Like... nothing out of the ordinary and she was given this amazing opportunity and din't even go to look at Harvard... just turned it down... I don't know.

The ivies can be pretty hard to decipher. There's no strict formula to getting in and certainly no way to guarantee an acceptance. Every US uni is going to emphasize well-roundedness, but it's just so vague.
Are you applying to UK unis as well?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 19
The ivies can be pretty hard to decipher. There's no strict formula to getting in and certainly no way to guarantee an acceptance. Every US uni is going to emphasize well-roundedness, but it's just so vague.
Are you applying to UK unis as well?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I agree but it just seemed too simpler stuff for a UK applicant which is noticeably going to be a tricky process because internationals get less places!

It was just an impression made.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending