The Student Room Group

How much student loan are you getting?

Scroll to see replies

Maintenance Loan: £4,466.00
Maintenance Grant: £2,178.00
Bursaries: should be £500-£1,000 depending on how my uni assess finances
Scholarships: nope
Savings: ~£500
Money from Parents: can't say, they'll defo give me money if I want some but I want to avoid this as much as possible

Accommodation Cost: £6,162.33
Weekly spend after Accommodation: £481.67+bursaries+savings for the whole year (uni do accomidation stuff per term so not weekly.)

I've got a job which should be bringing in a sizeable amount of money and I definitley want to keep my job during uni, if anything for the staff discount :tongue: so I don't think I'll be poor but I'll have to manage my money properly. Oh and can I say accomodation covers everything including food so that's probably why I'm not too worried
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by HarrietROAR
Meh, as i said, my opinion. Ive both shared and had an ensuite. Its not that hard. You establish ground rules or clean up when its getting gross.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't do 'public toilets' but that is why if I move out for Uni (I'm considering it for next year) I'm getting my own flat :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by simplylldxo
I don't do 'public toilets' but that is why if I move out for Uni (I'm considering it for next year) I'm getting my own flat :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nicest way possible unless mummy and daddy are going to pay for it, or your going to work 24/7 with no social life, or youd happily live in squalor, then your gonna have to face reality one day.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by HarrietROAR
Nicest way possible unless mummy and daddy are going to pay for it, or your going to work 24/7 with no social life, or youd happily live in squalor, then your gonna have to face reality one day.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Considering my mum only gets 12k a year and my dad passed earlier away this year... It'll be me paying me for it Trust me I grew up on a council estate, a squalor can't be worse than that. Also I don't have a social life anyway...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Maintenance Loan: £3,807
Maintenance Grant: £3,387
Bursaries: £3,000
Scholarships: £0
Savings: £200
Money from Parents:£0

Accommodation Cost: £138 p/w
Weekly spend after Accommodation: Alot. I also plan to work 10 hours a week.
Reply 365
Maintenance Loan: £5,639
Bursaries: £3,000/£4,000 (unsure)
Scholarships: £2,000
Savings: £1,000
Money from Parents: £0
Accommodation Cost: £700 PCM

Plus £866 monthly income
Original post by OHNOGEM
How come everyone's maintenance grant is different? Like between 3800-3948 for loan and 3200-3400 for grant I don't get why it varies :s

The grant entitlement is based on your parents' income (or your own if you're over 24). The more grant you get, the lower your loan (it moves a proportion of the funding from payable to non-repayable). As people have a range of different household incomes, grant/loan amounts will vary. People from higher income households won't get any grant at all.
Original post by Crystalz
Maintenance Loan: £3,807
Bursaries: £3,000
Scholarships: £0
Savings: £200
Money from Parents:£0

Accommodation Cost: £138 p/w
Weekly spend after Accommodation: Alot. I also plan to work 10 hours a week.

Original post by ATDENT
Maintenance Loan: £5,639
Bursaries: £3,000/£4,000 (unsure)
Scholarships: £2,000
Savings: £1,000
Money from Parents: £0
Accommodation Cost: £700 PCM

Plus £866 monthly income

And these are examples of why the system needs reforming, especially the latter.
Original post by Jammy Duel
And these are examples of why the system needs reforming, especially the latter.

I actually agree. I wouldn't say i need that much income at all. In fact student calculator says i will finish the year with 3,000 if i'm frugal. The reason my household income is so low is because i come from a single parent household however i'm an only child so i wouldn't say i'm deprived. However the amount of factors involved in assessing a students need is infinite and this systems the cheapest as well as easiest way i guess.
This system is biased and disgusting honestly.Why can't everybody receive the same loan/grant etc.Just because working parents earn 'more' doesn't mean they don't have any budgets with their money.They are forced to work more .Maybe it would be better for them to just sit at home.
A classmate of mine's parents are both doctors so I presume shes not entitled to anything .She has 2 siblings currently both at university.So in theory they must not receive any help because the parents decided to do something with their lives?
What a corrupt system

Posted from TSR Mobile
I actually agree. I wouldn't say i need that much income at all. In fact student calculator says i will finish the year with 3,000 if i'm frugal. The reason my household income is so low is because i come from a single parent household however i'm an only child so i wouldn't say i'm deprived. However the amount of factors involved in assessing a students need is infinite and this systems the cheapest as well as easiest way i guess.

The cheapest way would be to consider bursaries and scholarships into how much the government pays out. They make it so current bursaries and scholarships are maintained to stop the unis cheaping out, then, for example in your case, they take that 3k out of the grant to save themselves money.
Obviously not the full 3000, still have it as a stepped thing, but that sort of thing.

The second scenario, however, should have 0 grant given the scholarship and bursary. Supposing that £866 per month is maintained, almost every penny given by Student Finance or the institution should go straight into an ISA and not be touched at all as far as uni goes. THAT is the flaw in the system. But obviously this assumption cannot necessarily be reasonably made. I reckon it would be a lot cheaper to have to mess around more, but there would be no end of complaint about it.
Maintenance Loan: £3606
Maintenance Grant: £0
Bursaries: £0
Scholarships: £450
Savings: projected around £4,500 from earnings this summer
Money from Parents: None

Accommodation Cost: £160 pw x24wks
Weekly spend after Accommodation: variable £20-£200
Original post by livealittle
This system is biased and disgusting honestly.Why can't everybody receive the same loan/grant etc.Just because working parents earn 'more' doesn't mean they don't have any budgets with their money.They are forced to work more .Maybe it would be better for them to just sit at home.
A classmate of mine's parents are both doctors so I presume shes not entitled to anything .She has 2 siblings currently both at university.So in theory they must not receive any help because the parents decided to do something with their lives?
What a corrupt system

Posted from TSR Mobile

Very true there should probably be a base amount that is paid to all students that is enough to live off with top ups for those deemed most likely to receive no extra help.
Very true there should probably be a base amount that is paid to all students that is enough to live off with top ups for those deemed most likely to receive no extra help.

Yep.Couldn't agree more.
So we are now forced to juggle work and a degree (not that I'm against i,I personally think its good for experience and personal development)
But it just doesn't seem to right to me that children of working parents are being punished because they come from working stable homes.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by livealittle
Yep.Couldn't agree more.
So we are now forced to juggle work and a degree (not that I'm against i,I personally think its good for experience and personal development)
But it just doesn't seem to right to me that children of working parents are being punished because they come from working stable homes.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Just to point out that my mother works... it's just that there's only one source of income. If i lived with both parents i'd qualify for nothing.
Reply 375
Original post by Jammy Duel

I get the full loan because I am receiving special support grant instead of the maintenance grant which doesn't effect my loan. The £4,000 bursary is from the university as I earn under £16,000. Also the scholarship is awarded because of achieving certain grades.

I do believe it shouldn't be based on a parents income as many students get zero support from their parents (from what I've read). I think we should all get equal amount of loans and grants for sure but think scholarships should stay as they are.

Lastly the £866 pound income I get per month is because of my disability (indefinite), so I will always receive this no matter my circumstances.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by ATDENT
I get the full loan because I am receiving special support grant instead of the maintenance grant which doesn't effect my loan. The £4,000 bursary is from the university as I earn under £16,000. Also the scholarship is awarded because of achieving certain grades.

I do believe it shouldn't be based on a parents income as many students get zero support from their parents (from what I've read). I think we should all get equal amount of loans and grants for sure but think scholarships should stay as they are.

Lastly the £866 pound income I get per month is because of my disability (indefinite), so I will always receive this no matter my circumstances.

Posted from TSR Mobile

But, if the legislated it so that all bursaries and scholarships must remain to stop unis being cheap and getting rid of them, they should consider scholarships and bursaries that a student is eligible for before handing out grants. For example, taking your situation, there is over 10k without the grant, which is more than enough even in London and as such they are just throwing away the grant to line the pockets of those on the lower income, while some students from higher income backgrounds actually need the extra support but aren't eligible because it's assumed their parents will support them.
IMO, grants should just be removed, and if they do insist on keeping that extra bit of cash available to those from lower income families it should be put on the loan. There is no good justification I can think of why it should be given as a grant and not a loan.
Maintenance Loan: £6058
Maintenance Grant: £3387
Bursaries: £3675 (£1000 in cash, the rest for accommodation)
Scholarships: Unsure (£9600 if I qualify for the top ones, probably not)
Savings: Nil
Money from Parents: Only if I need it

Accommodation Cost: £190 P/W (Probably more or less, not totally sure where I'll be living but I expect it to be around there)
Weekly spend after Accommodation: Probably £50-70, even though I should have at least £138 to spend every week

Amounts are dependent on if I get into my firm, won't get nearly as much from my insurance since I'll probably be living at home if I got into my insurance.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Thahleel
Maintenance Loan: £6058
Maintenance Grant: £3387
Bursaries: £3675 (£1000 in cash, the rest for accommodation)
Scholarships: Unsure (£9600 if I qualify for the top ones, probably not)
Savings: Nil
Money from Parents: Only if I need it

Accommodation Cost: £190 P/W (Probably more or less, not totally sure where I'll be living but I expect it to be around there)
Weekly spend after Accommodation: Probably £50-70, even though I should have at least £138 to spend every week

Amounts are dependent on if I get into my firm, won't get nearly as much from my insurance since I'll probably be living at home if I got into my insurance.

And yet another case of "go home student finance, you're drunk"

Posted from TSR Mobile
So confused! How do people know if they get bursaries already?! 😳

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending