The Student Room Group

Veterinary Science and Medicine

Is there anyway of doing Veterinary Medicine or Medicine with just A-Level Biology? Foundation degree or otherwise.

Asking for a friend. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
*bump*
Not medicine. You have to have Chemistry. I'm not entirely sure for vet med though.
Pretty sure you need chemistry

Posted from TSR Mobile
For medicine you'll definitely need chemistry
I don't know about vet med though

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
You don't need chemistry for some Universities (for Medicine).
Reply 6
Foundation degree maybe. But there are a lot of other conditions to meet.

You'll limit your options hugely with just biology as most require chemistry. Might be worth chemistry AS too.
Reply 7
Original post by lamyers1
Foundation degree maybe. But there are a lot of other conditions to meet.

You'll limit your options hugely with just biology as most require chemistry. Might be worth chemistry AS too.

This is what I said to them too
Original post by JayJay-C19
You don't need chemistry for some Universities (for Medicine).

Name one then. I'm pretty sure ALL unis need Chemistry for medicine but for some you don't need Biology. I stand to be corrected but that's what I've seen and been told.
Original post by thechemistress
Name one then. I'm pretty sure ALL unis need Chemistry for medicine but for some you don't need Biology. I stand to be corrected but that's what I've seen and been told.

I know UEA ask for biology and either chemistry/physics but obviously that's only one place :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10

Newcastle
Original post by Changing Skies
I know UEA ask for biology and either chemistry/physics but obviously that's only one place :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wow, really? OP's friend has a chance then. I've always been told you have to have Chemistry AS for medicine; apparently that was incorrect :tongue: That being said, all the ones I've looked at (Southampton, Bristol, Sheffield, Kings, Imperial, Oxbridge, St. Andrew's etc.) all want Chemistry.
Wow, really? OP's friend has a chance then. I've always been told you have to have Chemistry AS for medicine; apparently that was incorrect :tongue: That being said, all the ones I've looked at (Southampton, Bristol, Sheffield, Kings, Imperial, Oxbridge, St. Andrew's etc.) all want Chemistry.

Haha possibly! :tongue: I think that's said as pretty much everywhere else does and, with medicine, it's competitive enough without limiting your choices to one or two medical schools, but yeah, it isn't actually impossible :h: exactly :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Newcastle

Nope. Newcastle wants Chemistry

'AAA including Chemistry and/or Biology at A or AS level and excluding General Studies and Critical Thinking.'
Reply 14

Most require chemistry but some universities don't. They generally want at least 2 sciences.
However, there is a lot of chemistry (and biology ofc) in medicine, so it may put you at a disadvantage not taking it.
Original post by lamyers1
Most require chemistry but some universities don't. They generally want at least 2 sciences.
However, there is a lot of chemistry (and biology ofc) in medicine, so it may put you at a disadvantage not taking it.

So far I've only been told of one that doesn't require Chemistry- University of East Anglia so yeah, OP's friend would be at a disadvantage. In my opinion, it doesn't make sense to go for medicine if you're not going to do Chemistry.
Reply 16
Nope. Newcastle wants Chemistry

'AAA including Chemistry and/or Biology at A or AS level and excluding General Studies and Critical Thinking.'

Yeah? And/OR... Meaning Chemistry or Biology... Durham also offers the same. If you dont take one of them it has to be made up for with GCSE Science Grades.
Reply 17
So far I've only been told of one that doesn't require Chemistry- University of East Anglia so yeah, OP's friend would be at a disadvantage. In my opinion, it doesn't make sense to go for medicine if you're not going to do Chemistry.

Newcastle and Durham also don't, I asked them. Foundation anyway.

I agree that you should do chemistry.
Yeah? And/OR... Meaning Chemistry or Biology... Durham also offers the same. If you dont take one of them it has to be made up for with GCSE Science Grades.

Either way, it doesn't make sense to go for medicine without Chemistry. Biology and Chemistry are very closely linked, there's going to be some things in medical school that require at least a bit of AS Chemistry knowledge (this is what I've been told by my friend's sister who does medicine). Medicine is competitive enough already, why would you put yourself at a deliberate disadvantage? Most others applying will have chemistry.
Reply 19
Either way, it doesn't make sense to go for medicine without Chemistry. Biology and Chemistry are very closely linked, there's going to be some things in medical school that require at least a bit of AS Chemistry knowledge (this is what I've been told by my friend's sister who does medicine). Medicine is competitive enough already, why would you put yourself at a deliberate disadvantage? Most others applying will have chemistry.

I know. I don't disagree, however, not everyone could handle and get an A or whatnot, in Chemistry at A-Level. I know I certainly wouldn't do it because it'd be silly and probably the only one with the potential to present me with a failing/low grade. However, that would mean I wouldn't do Medicine because I'd think it wouldn't be my thing if I couldn't handle Chemistry.

Quick Reply

Latest