The Student Room Group

Can I do another A level at 19?

I'm looking at a change of direction and I want to get a biology alevel and maybe another science to do zoology at uni, however I've already done Alevels once I did well but not the right subjects to do a degree in zoology so does anyone know if I'm able to do just 1 a level at a college? and if I have to pay, I'm 19 turning 20 in February and have done a year at uni.
I'm working in enrolment at a college, and noticed you do have to pay to start a new course if you're 19-23. This can be waivered depending on the college and your circumstances - if you're claiming benefits such as JSA etc. Whether you can do just 1 A level depends on the college you apply for, some allow you to study 1, and some only allow you to study 3+, so I recommend contacting a college.
Reply 2
Original post by ShannonS-J
I'm looking at a change of direction and I want to get a biology alevel and maybe another science to do zoology at uni, however I've already done Alevels once I did well but not the right subjects to do a degree in zoology so does anyone know if I'm able to do just 1 a level at a college? and if I have to pay, I'm 19 turning 20 in February and have done a year at uni.

Have you considered doing a foundation degree instead? Many students opt for this if they have missed grades/don't have the required A-level subjects.
Reply 3
Original post by Gorwell
Have you considered doing a foundation degree instead? Many students opt for this if they have missed grades/don't have the required A-level subjects.

Hmm that might be an option, my problem is I'm stuck in one place as I'm in a contract for a house here for a year so I'm not sure if a biology/science foundation degree is even offered at the uni here but it's definitely worth considering. Thanks:smile:
Reply 4
Hmm that might be an option, my problem is I'm stuck in one place as I'm in a contract for a house here for a year so I'm not sure if a biology/science foundation degree is even offered at the uni here but it's definitely worth considering. Thanks:smile:

What universities are you considering if you don't mind me asking? It's fine :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by Gorwell
What universities are you considering if you don't mind me asking? It's fine :smile:

I'm not really sure, I've done a year of a fashion degree at Bournemouth arts but I'm pretty sure I'm going to drop out and re apply for something else next year for uni in 2015, I'd like to do zoology but I don't have the right alevels my other option is psychology because I was good at it in college. I've been looking at different places but not really sure, I'd like to go to quite a respected uni for the subject :/ just very confused tbh so looking for advise. I did well in my alevels they were just more arts subjects because I thought that was what I wanted to do.
Reply 6
I'm not really sure, I've done a year of a fashion degree at Bournemouth arts but I'm pretty sure I'm going to drop out and re apply for something else next year for uni in 2015, I'd like to do zoology but I don't have the right alevels my other option is psychology because I was good at it in college. I've been looking at different places but not really sure, I'd like to go to quite a respected uni for the subject :/ just very confused tbh so looking for advise. I did well in my alevels they were just more arts subjects because I thought that was what I wanted to do.

Ah I see! What A-levels did you take? It may be the case that you just need Maths or another science to apply. Sciences are fairly easy to self teach but you would have to find a centre to sit your exam/do practicals and such. If your GCSE Science grade is up to scratch then your local college should let you do one- Sixth forms don't accept those over the age of 18 unless you studied there and are just doing an extra year (the case at mine anyway). Read around courses and see if any appeal to you, look at job prospects etc. and then decide. :smile:
Reply 7
You should consider transferring elsewhere and doing a foundation year.
Reply 8
Original post by Gorwell
Ah I see! What A-levels did you take? It may be the case that you just need Maths or another science to apply. Sciences are fairly easy to self teach but you would have to find a centre to sit your exam/do practicals and such. If your GCSE Science grade is up to scratch then your local college should let you do one- Sixth forms don't accept those over the age of 18 unless you studied there and are just doing an extra year (the case at mine anyway). Read around courses and see if any appeal to you, look at job prospects etc. and then decide. :smile:

I did Psychology, Theatre, Art and English Lang, getting A* A* A A retrospectively, Yeah I think I'd definitely need biology as its stipulated on most of the entry requirements. Yeah I got A's in science at gcse so that shouldn't be an issue, yeah thats what I'm thinking, just worried it'll be expensive as I need to be able to have the time do get a job as well to pay rent ect.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending