The Student Room Group

Student bank account proof

If I was to open a Student bank account with someone like Santander, what do I use for proof of my A-level results or confirmation of a uni place? Right now I only have a results slip with my grades and an email from UCAS and my university confirming my place
I did mine online last night and needed no proof apart from my course and start date. They apparently have access to UCAS to see if you really hold an offer. Santander are very quick at processing them too, I did mine late last night and just got an acceptance email about my account being opened :biggrin:
Original post by kayleighisonfire
I did mine online last night and needed no proof apart from my course and start date. They apparently have access to UCAS to see if you really hold an offer. Santander are very quick at processing them too, I did mine late last night and just got an acceptance email about my account being opened :biggrin:

Surely they require some proof? Don't they hand out railcards to people who open their student accounts with 1/3 off? That would mean loads of people could put in fake course start dates and easily get discount railcards
Original post by scientific222
Surely they require some proof? Don't they hand out railcards to people who open their student accounts with 1/3 off? That would mean loads of people could put in fake course start dates and easily get discount railcards

They check your details with UCAS so they have proof. Yeah they do you need to send off for it though but it's still free.
Reply 4
I recently upgraded my account to a student account. I'm with TSB and I took my UCAS confirmation letter and that was fine for them. That's the most common proof banks will accept. You could try printing the e-mail you have from UCAS that confirms your place.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 5
I never had to send anything to them in regards to proof (Santander). Had it all setup within 2 working days, and they're sorting out my overdraft which I should have by 20th Aug!
Original post by ItsRoryG
I never had to send anything to them in regards to proof (Santander). Had it all setup within 2 working days, and they're sorting out my overdraft which I should have by 20th Aug!

Was you already with Santander?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 7
No I opened a seperate account. HSBC is my main bank.
Original post by ItsRoryG
No I opened a seperate account. HSBC is my main bank.

Ah that's good, I may be needing to get an overdraft whilst I wait for my loan. How much is your overdraft?
Reply 9
Original post by cjhamping
Ah that's good, I may be needing to get an overdraft whilst I wait for my loan. How much is your overdraft?

I just had my £250 come through a few weeks after I set it up as they had to confirm with my Uni I'm actually a student. I didn't have to do anything, they must contact UCAS because I got an email saying it was all sorted.

I get my wages from work on Friday so when I deposit £500 into the account it goes up to £1500 on the overdraft. Obviously your student loan will be enough to cover the minimum £500 deposit to increase your overdraft limit. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending