The Student Room Group

What is this LNAT?

I know it's an admission test for law that some unis require. I just want to know how hard it is and what are the contents. Apparently there is an essay? I'm not too good at essays but I've got 2 years as I'm taking a gap year next year so I'll be able to tarnish my essay writing skills. Is Lnat hard?
Hi, I did the LNAT last year and it's relatively straightforward. There are 2 sections: the multiple choice section followed by an essay. The multiple choice section focuses on passages of text - each extract is accompanied by multiple choice questions about the text you have just read and this generally isn't too difficult as long as you apply logic.

I can't remember the time limit for the multiple choice but for the essay you have 40 minutes and a maximum word count of 750. The essay is worth doing past papers for (www.lnat.ac.uk) because it can take a few attempts to get used to dealing with the word and time restraints, also you will be taking the LNAT on a computer so if you're not someone who normally types their essays then this is something to prepare for. You will probably have to argue for or against something in your essay (that is, after all, what lawyers do!) so try to avoid 'sitting on the fence' with your opinion. Your essay isn't officially given a mark (your multiple choice is) but it does give admissions tutors a chance to see how you argue and, by extension, how good a law student you would make.

In answer to your question, no: the LNAT isn't very hard. The LNAT is all about logic and reasoning - if you are good at those then, with a little preparation, it shouldn't present too much of a problem to you. Apologies for the long answer but I hope this helps :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Talks4England
Hi, I did the LNAT last year and it's relatively straightforward. There are 2 sections: the multiple choice section followed by an essay. The multiple choice section focuses on passages of text - each extract is accompanied by multiple choice questions about the text you have just read and this generally isn't too difficult as long as you apply logic.

I can't remember the time limit for the multiple choice but for the essay you have 40 minutes and a maximum word count of 750. The essay is worth doing past papers for (www.lnat.ac.uk) because it can take a few attempts to get used to dealing with the word and time restraints, also you will be taking the LNAT on a computer so if you're not someone who normally types their essays then this is something to prepare for. You will probably have to argue for or against something in your essay (that is, after all, what lawyers do!) so try to avoid 'sitting on the fence' with your opinion. Your essay isn't officially given a mark (your multiple choice is) but it does give admissions tutors a chance to see how you argue and, by extension, how good a law student you would make.

In answer to your question, no: the LNAT isn't very hard. The LNAT is all about logic and reasoning - if you are good at those then, with a little preparation, it shouldn't present too much of a problem to you. Apologies for the long answer but I hope this helps :smile:

Thank you. I assume your doing law now. Does the LLB degree require you to do a lot of essays?
Original post by Lawyersaab
Thank you. I assume your doing law now. Does the LLB degree require you to do a lot of essays?

I'm actually just starting my degree this October but Law is generally a fairly heavy essay subject - I know that for Law at my university I will have to do around 3 essays every 2 weeks, although the workload probably varies between universities :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Talks4England
I'm actually just starting my degree this October but Law is generally a fairly heavy essay subject - I know that for Law at my university I will have to do around 3 essays every 2 weeks, although the workload probably varies between universities :smile:

If you don't mind me asking, what Uni are you going to? Any tips on how to become a better essay writer
I'll be studying Law at the University of Oxford :smile: To improve my essay skills I joined a debating society and entered lots of debating competitions - the judges often give feedback which really helps you to develop the way you write your arguments. Plus the actual debating improves your ability to identify and overcome potential counter-arguments quickly and efficiently, and this definitely comes in handy when you write your LNAT essay!
Difficult and pointless, that's what it is!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending