The Student Room Group

Will I get financial support?

Im an english student living in Leicestershire.

I want to apply for a Scottish and a Welsh univeristy.

If i go to a English university, i am eligible for a student loan to cover tuition coasts (£9000 per year) and also a maintence loan. (this depends on household income).

Will I get the same financial support if i choose to study in scotland or wales?? (£9000 to pay for tuition costs, and then a maintenance loan too??)

I wasnt sure if I had to pay myself due to these areas being outside of England, and student finance is called "Student Finance England". Also since in scotland, Scottish residents dont have to pay a penny. So i was wondering, since i would still have to pay the money (due to being an english resident), would i get the support?

Also since Scotland may begin to be an independent country, will my financial support be affected then?
Reply 1
Original post by flowerbud
Will I get the same financial support if i choose to study in scotland or wales?? (£9000 to pay for tuition costs, and then a maintenance loan too??)

Yes.

I wasnt sure if I had to pay myself due to these areas being outside of England, and student finance is called "Student Finance England".

No.

Also since in scotland, Scottish residents dont have to pay a penny. So i was wondering, since i would still have to pay the money (due to being an english resident), would i get the support?

Yes. Your Student Finance will give you a Tuition Fee Loan which covers all of your fees, whether you study in England, Scotland or Wales. You will also get the Maintenance Loan and Grant, subject to the usual eligibility.

Also since Scotland may begin to be an independent country, will my financial support be affected then?

Who knows, as Scotland and the EU disagree on what happens to Scotland's EU membership status, and that's probably what would affect student funding for those outside Scotland who want to study there.

Scotland thinks it will automatically be a new EU country. The EU has said that it will be outside the EU and will have to apply for assessment and meet entry requirements, before being admitted to the EU as an independent country.

If Scotland is an EU country, your fees must be assessed as though you were a Home student. If Scotland is not an EU country, then you will theoretically have to pay International fees.

I suspect nothing will happen immediately following independence. There's a lot of arguing to do after that.
No one knows

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending