The Student Room Group

Applying for student finance

Hello,

Wondering if anyone can help me. I have lived with my aunt and uncle since I finished my A-level equivalent studies and have been working full time and no one financially supports me, I pay rent to my aunt and uncle, I'm financially independent.

My question is, when applying for SFE I believe it will ask how much the household income is, and if I write what my aunt and uncle plus me make, it would significantly reduce my maintenance loan, but because they don't support me financially, can I just write my own income? because in reality that would be the truth and the most realistic.

Many thanks,
GS
Original post by Goldie05
Hello,

Wondering if anyone can help me. I have lived with my aunt and uncle since I finished my A-level equivalent studies and have been working full time and no one financially supports me, I pay rent to my aunt and uncle, I'm financially independent.

My question is, when applying for SFE I believe it will ask how much the household income is, and if I write what my aunt and uncle plus me make, it would significantly reduce my maintenance loan, but because they don't support me financially, can I just write my own income? because in reality that would be the truth and the most realistic.

Many thanks,
GS

Hi there,

We don't use other family members income or the students income unless your employer was releasing you to attend your course.

Have you self supported for 3 years before the start of your course?

Thanks,
Claire
Reply 2
Original post by Claire SFE
Hi there,

We don't use other family members income or the students income unless your employer was releasing you to attend your course.

Have you self supported for 3 years before the start of your course?

Thanks,
Claire

hi,

No, I haven't self-supported for three years, it would only be just under two years before the start of course.

Also, my work situation might change before I start uni, I may ask for my manager to transfer me to a store which is closer to uni but I'm not 100% sure about this, but I'm definitely going to need to cut my work hours. I'm thinking of getting a job nearer to my uni/ at my uni.

Thank you,
GS
Hi Goldie05,

If you are not eligible for Independent based on self support (we would need evidence that you have been financially self-sufficient for 3 years before the start of your course for this) you could potentially apply for Independent status on the basis of estrangement if you have no contact with your parents. For this, you will need to complete a Confirmation of Estrangement form where the information will need to be corroborated by an impartial 3rd party. We can email you a copy of this form if you call us on 0300 100 0607 and it will take around 28 working days for us to review once uploaded.

Thanks,
Calum
Reply 4
Original post by Calum SLC
Hi Goldie05,

If you are not eligible for Independent based on self support (we would need evidence that you have been financially self-sufficient for 3 years before the start of your course for this) you could potentially apply for Independent status on the basis of estrangement if you have no contact with your parents. For this, you will need to complete a Confirmation of Estrangement form where the information will need to be corroborated by an impartial 3rd party. We can email you a copy of this form if you call us on 0300 100 0607 and it will take around 28 working days for us to review once uploaded.

Thanks,
Calum

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. I have had contact, they just don't make a great deal of money and, therefore cannot support me. My plan was always to save some money before starting uni so I don't entirely have to rely on the maintenance loan.

Thanks,
GS
Hi Goldie05,

In that case we will need your parents to support your application. However, if they are on a low income (a combined income of under £25,000 a year) you will be eligible for the maximum means-tested maintenance loan entitlement

Thanks,
Calum

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending