The Student Room Group

uni life-help

Scroll to see replies

Original post by QB3Y
Hi!
I wouldn't bring up stuff related to religion and culture with your parents because they'll think you're getting too 'westernised' and will restrict you more. When I have an argument with my dad I just ignore him and if he talks to me I try to be polite but keep it short and don't talk to him too much. One time we were on a ten hour car journey together and I didn't say one word to him!

Congrats on your job interview! For freshers week next year at least you'll have money to do fun stuff, buy new clothes, go out etc. Just don't spend ALL of it too quickly and manage your money properly!

I'm starting freshers week on 3 days and kinda freaking out ... I just need to book my taxi and I packed everything up today :smile: this year will go so fast for you. Enjoy being with your family this final year because after you leave your parents will probably disown you (if they're anything like mine) but that doesn't bother me personally. i just can't wait to finally be living on my own terms!

And yes it totally sucks how I'm having to pack my things up in secret yet my friends parents are driving them to their accommodation, helping them move in and and just generally being decent parents ... I'm a little jealous :frown: but I'll get over it in a few weeks. Once I get to know people and start making friends everything will be fine :smile:

dont stress about what your dad says too much. If you can stay out as much as possible, then when you get back home, work and then go to bed. Stay out of his way just for one more year. :smile:

yeahh i really regretted it as soon as i said that, i usually dont talk to him when hes driving me somewhere, however i dont think he really cares any more, i have pretended to pray in front of him so he think im still good, i feel sad for my parents sometimes, ofcourse it would be hard for them to see me take a different path to them since they believe the path i take will end me up being in hell, but lol yeah whatever...

i got the jobbbbbbbbb:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: hey listen to this for a story, i got a rejection email yesterday and was heartbroken, this morning i woke up and after a long time with my phone in my hand decided to call back and pretended i didnt recieve a rejection email and was gonna tell her how much i needed the job but before i could mention how much i wanted it she was like congratulations yo got the job and i was gonna call you later on today, good times:smile: gonna start saving up noww, btw this is my first paid jobb

holy shett thats so cool, what do you think they would do if you told them you were moving out btw, they are going to find out as soon as youre not home for a few hours...i mean they cant physically stop you can theyyy? sure they are going to be not happy but who cares, they would deal with better that way i think. they might think youre missing, not a good experience for a mum to go through, think about maybe for your mums sake. but if you really dont care hahaa leave when theyre sleeping.

goodluck and try not to get homesick when youre there hahaa:biggrin:
Reply 21
Surely you can't strike a deal with them?
Once or twice a week you're allowed to stay out till say 3am. But the other nights you'll be in by 10?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by QB3Y
Youre going to nottingham trent as well? What course are you studying? I'm gonna be doing law :smile: kinda scared about Friday ...

Yeah I'm a local so am going to be doing decorative arts as a mature student. Don't panic you are going to love it. Nottingham is an awesome city. Are you in halls?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 23
Original post by pleasehelpmee
yeahh i really regretted it as soon as i said that, i usually dont talk to him when hes driving me somewhere, however i dont think he really cares any more, i have pretended to pray in front of him so he think im still good, i feel sad for my parents sometimes, ofcourse it would be hard for them to see me take a different path to them since they believe the path i take will end me up being in hell, but lol yeah whatever...

i got the jobbbbbbbbb:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: hey listen to this for a story, i got a rejection email yesterday and was heartbroken, this morning i woke up and after a long time with my phone in my hand decided to call back and pretended i didnt recieve a rejection email and was gonna tell her how much i needed the job but before i could mention how much i wanted it she was like congratulations yo got the job and i was gonna call you later on today, good times:smile: gonna start saving up noww, btw this is my first paid jobb

holy shett thats so cool, what do you think they would do if you told them you were moving out btw, they are going to find out as soon as youre not home for a few hours...i mean they cant physically stop you can theyyy? sure they are going to be not happy but who cares, they would deal with better that way i think. they might think youre missing, not a good experience for a mum to go through, think about maybe for your mums sake. but if you really dont care hahaa leave when theyre sleeping.

goodluck and try not to get homesick when youre there hahaa:biggrin:

Congrats on the job!!
save as much as you can, trust me you'll need it! And apply for a student bank account and sort out student finance early (they take FOREVER to do stuff) - I left all this to the last minute - don't do that!

And I'm definitely not telling them I'm moving out - my dad would actually physically stop me. And she's not gonna think I'm missing since all my stuff will be gone. I'm thinking about leaving a note though - nothing special, just writing ‘left for uni. Not coming back‘. I know I don't get on with my dad but I like my mum and I think she will be sad when I'm gone, and I know he'll is going to break loose as soon as they find out, but I need to go. They've controlled my entire life and every single aspect of it for the past 18 years and I haven't enjoyed living yet. They've also decided that after I get my degree I have to get married and raise a bunch of kids. I know for sure this is not what I want so why not move out now when I have student finance, a uni, guaranteed accommodation and new friends to help me out. Moving out is scary but it would be horrifying if I stayed and nothing in my life changed. God can you imagine living the rest of your life as it is now?!

I'm leaving on Friday at 5 in the morning. Everyone will be asleep and I'm booking my taxi tomorrow. My parents have my number so obviously they're gonna call me a million times but I've decided I'm not going to answer. I think eventually my mum MIGHT come around and actually talk to me but I know I will be dead to my dad :/ tbh that doesn't really make me sad though ... It's got to the point where I just don't give a **** about him or what he thinks of me. I'm just excited to make new friends, go out and actually be sociable. Everyone thinks I'm really antisocial cause I don't go anywhere or do anything but I'm actually a huge extrovert - I'm just not allowed to show it!

Good luck on your new job - save lots of money and get the hell out of there! :smile:
Reply 24
Original post by Mimsycrafts
Yeah I'm a local so am going to be doing decorative arts as a mature student. Don't panic you are going to love it. Nottingham is an awesome city. Are you in halls?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks! I'm really excited but it's not to be nervous ... especially thinking about what my flatmates will be like. I'm in private halls (I didn't get into the uni halls). All I know is I'm sharing a flat with four other people at Cotton Mills and I know that two of them are older students, but two are first years. I just hope I get some fun outgoing flatmates who are nice :smile: are you living at home or moving out?
I'm going to be living at home - I live in an area called arnold. It's only 20 mins in to the uni on the bus. I just wouldn't enjoy shared living after doing it for so many years.

Your going to have a great time :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile
I think you need to get out of there. I think a year of that kind of behaviour will wear you out and why waste a years education? What are you studying?

Posted from TSR Mobile

i cant do anything atm, hoping to tranfer to another uni for next year, seems like the only option at the moment
Original post by QB3Y
Congrats on the job!!
save as much as you can, trust me you'll need it! And apply for a student bank account and sort out student finance early (they take FOREVER to do stuff) - I left all this to the last minute - don't do that!

And I'm definitely not telling them I'm moving out - my dad would actually physically stop me. And she's not gonna think I'm missing since all my stuff will be gone. I'm thinking about leaving a note though - nothing special, just writing ‘left for uni. Not coming back‘. I know I don't get on with my dad but I like my mum and I think she will be sad when I'm gone, and I know he'll is going to break loose as soon as they find out, but I need to go. They've controlled my entire life and every single aspect of it for the past 18 years and I haven't enjoyed living yet. They've also decided that after I get my degree I have to get married and raise a bunch of kids. I know for sure this is not what I want so why not move out now when I have student finance, a uni, guaranteed accommodation and new friends to help me out. Moving out is scary but it would be horrifying if I stayed and nothing in my life changed. God can you imagine living the rest of your life as it is now?!

I'm leaving on Friday at 5 in the morning. Everyone will be asleep and I'm booking my taxi tomorrow. My parents have my number so obviously they're gonna call me a million times but I've decided I'm not going to answer. I think eventually my mum MIGHT come around and actually talk to me but I know I will be dead to my dad :/ tbh that doesn't really make me sad though ... It's got to the point where I just don't give a **** about him or what he thinks of me. I'm just excited to make new friends, go out and actually be sociable. Everyone thinks I'm really antisocial cause I don't go anywhere or do anything but I'm actually a huge extrovert - I'm just not allowed to show it!

Good luck on your new job - save lots of money and get the hell out of there! :smile:

thanks dude! i had all that stuff sorted ages ago well apart from the student account is it really that important ??

woww your life is going to go from 0 to 100 realquick:biggrin::biggrin: when/if im leaving like you i would be scared sh.itless at the beginning and then maybe after sometime i would eventually get over it. do you have any siblings (i have 4) and they really make my decision to "run away" pretty difficult...im exactly the same as you im forced to be an introvert and a muslim at that. if your dad is going to physically stop you than f it go before he sees you, hell id say go earlier they may wake up for fajr prayer and see you leaving...that would be tense as ffff lol

thats the plan..eek!:rolleyes:
Reply 28
I'm going to be living at home - I live in an area called arnold. It's only 20 mins in to the uni on the bus. I just wouldn't enjoy shared living after doing it for so many years.

Your going to have a great time :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks I really hope so :biggrin:
Reply 29
Original post by pleasehelpmee
thanks dude! i had all that stuff sorted ages ago well apart from the student account is it really that important ??

woww your life is going to go from 0 to 100 realquick:biggrin::biggrin: when/if im leaving like you i would be scared sh.itless at the beginning and then maybe after sometime i would eventually get over it. do you have any siblings (i have 4) and they really make my decision to "run away" pretty difficult...im exactly the same as you im forced to be an introvert and a muslim at that. if your dad is going to physically stop you than f it go before he sees you, hell id say go earlier they may wake up for fajr prayer and see you leaving...that would be tense as ffff lol

thats the plan..eek!:rolleyes:

The student account just means you get free overdrafts of £500-£3000 depending on the bank and some other freebies too.

And nd I have 4 other siblings too. It does make me think that I'm being a little selfish because when I leave my dad will become A LOT stricter on them but I'm planning on helping my younger sisters leave someday as well. If I stay and wait for them to be old enough I would have been pushed into a marriage and would have wasted 2/3 years and I don't want to do that. I'm gonna leave now and enjoy my life and if she wants, I can help my sister leave as well :smile: I've just booked the taxi and I'm leaving in 2 days - very scared but also SOOO excited :biggrin:
dont worry too much about your siblings - just take care of yourself then you can work something out for them. If you're too scared to change anything then nothing will change!
Original post by QB3Y
The student account just means you get free overdrafts of £500-£3000 depending on the bank and some other freebies too.

And nd I have 4 other siblings too. It does make me think that I'm being a little selfish because when I leave my dad will become A LOT stricter on them but I'm planning on helping my younger sisters leave someday as well. If I stay and wait for them to be old enough I would have been pushed into a marriage and would have wasted 2/3 years and I don't want to do that. I'm gonna leave now and enjoy my life and if she wants, I can help my sister leave as well :smile: I've just booked the taxi and I'm leaving in 2 days - very scared but also SOOO excited :biggrin:
dont worry too much about your siblings - just take care of yourself then you can work something out for them. If you're too scared to change anything then nothing will change!

This is your 12 hour countdown! Good luck. Leave a note for your family and leave an email for your siblings x

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 31
This is your 12 hour countdown! Good luck. Leave a note for your family and leave an email for your siblings x

Posted from TSR Mobile

I DID IT!!!!
i moved out this morning at 4:30. My sister woke up (I made quite a lot of noise when moving my suitcases out) and asked where I was going and if mum and dad knew. I just said 'I'm going to uni' and walk led out. NOW IM HERE!! I'm sitting on my new bed, in my new room, about to unpack my things. I'm waiting for everyone else to arrive but I'm here :biggrin: my dad called me a bunch of times but I didn't pick up and I'm not going to. I hope my mum comes around because I kinda miss her already but I'm going to be making new friends and meeting new people now! I'm very excited right now!
Original post by QB3Y
I DID IT!!!!
i moved out this morning at 4:30. My sister woke up (I made quite a lot of noise when moving my suitcases out) and asked where I was going and if mum and dad knew. I just said 'I'm going to uni' and walk led out. NOW IM HERE!! I'm sitting on my new bed, in my new room, about to unpack my things. I'm waiting for everyone else to arrive but I'm here :biggrin: my dad called me a bunch of times but I didn't pick up and I'm not going to. I hope my mum comes around because I kinda miss her already but I'm going to be making new friends and meeting new people now! I'm very excited right now!

Just read through your thread and want to wish you a bright and happy future. Good luck xx
Reply 33
Original post by AmyPilot
Just read through your thread and want to wish you a bright and happy future. Good luck xx

Awe thanks xD
But I'm just awkwardly sitting in my room - no one else in my flat has arrived yet. What to do now ....
Original post by QB3Y
Awe thanks xD
But I'm just awkwardly sitting in my room - no one else in my flat has arrived yet. What to do now ....

Get out there and live. I'm so happy it went well xx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by QB3Y

you are one brave soul haha tell me how it goes when u get there!!:biggrin:
so thoughtful of you to help your sister, if i run away im scared my parents will teach my brothers to hate me...and i dont want that...nice quote in the end there too!:smile: u know what in a strange way im really excited for you, hmmm i feel like im involved with your getaway hahaa:smile:
Reply 36
Hey, I'm thinking about dropping out of my uni course to take a gap year, however does anyone know what happens with the loans if I do, i.e. will I still have to pay them later on or not?
Hi, just browsing on TSR and found this thread. Really happy for you! Best of luck for university, I hope everything works out for you :smile: xx

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending