The Student Room Group

How do laptops work in exams?

I don't have a medical condition or learning disability in the area of requiring a computer in exams or at least I think so, but a boy used one last year.

I was in a separate room from the others and he was in a separate room from the others, with an invigilator.

What is it like using a laptop/computer in exams how do you draw mechanisms etc.

Piqued my interest, thanks for any replies.
Reply 1
Differs between unis.

At mine, we had three dedicated rooms set up with uni-controlled desktops (not laptops) which were locked down so that we couldn't access anything other than the word processing package, the PC's hard drive in order to save regularly, and the printer. Each room had about twenty desktops and an invigilator. Written answers were printed at the end of the exam and attached to the standard answer booklets and hand-in sheets. If we needed to draw anything we did this by hand in the answer booklets and these were attached to our printed exam paper.

There were other facilities for people to take exams in isolation if they needed to (small office, controlled PC, invigilator) but I didn't use this setup.
Original post by Klix88
Differs between unis.

At mine, we had three dedicated rooms set up with uni-controlled desktops (not laptops) which were locked down so that we couldn't access anything other than the word processing package, the PC's hard drive in order to save regularly, and the printer. Each room had about twenty desktops and an invigilator. Written answers were printed at the end of the exam and attached to the standard answer booklets and hand-in sheets. If we needed to draw anything we did this by hand in the answer booklets and these were attached to our printed exam paper.

There were other facilities for people to take exams in isolation if they needed to (small office, controlled PC, invigilator) but I didn't use this setup.

Ah interesting so you still have to draw, cool thanks :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Damien_Dalgaard
Ah interesting so you still have to draw, cool thanks :smile:

My problem was a physical one which prevented me from handwriting for extended periods of time, so I had no problem with occasional sketches or diagrams. I assume if you have trouble producing these, that you'd be given the appropriate support to do it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending