The Student Room Group

Southampton BM5 2015 Applicants

Scroll to see replies

--A minimum of seven GCSEs at grade A, including mathematics, English and double award science (or equivalent).

Does this mean that i shouldn't apply if I didn't take physics at GCSEs? I heard that double award science encompasses study of physics, chem and bio (international student here btw), so I'm guessing the 'or equivalent' means that somehow these three sciences must be taken at GCSEs.
Original post by RainClouds
--A minimum of seven GCSEs at grade A, including mathematics, English and double award science (or equivalent).

Does this mean that i shouldn't apply if I didn't take physics at GCSEs? I heard that double award science encompasses study of physics, chem and bio (international student here btw), so I'm guessing the 'or equivalent' means that somehow these three sciences must be taken at GCSEs.

You'll need to ask if your qualification will be accepted. They may not be able to tell you until after you apply as that seems to be the way they're going at the moment which is frustrating. But give them a call and ask :0
Original post by Neostigmine
You'll need to ask if your qualification will be accepted. They may not be able to tell you until after you apply as that seems to be the way they're going at the moment which is frustrating. But give them a call and ask :0

Ah, okay then, thanks :smile:
UKCAT Cutoff predictions? I think around 660/665

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 64
Random question, but is anyone applying from the North/any current students from the North? Not that I need a gaggle of Northerners around me but I'm just interested in how you've found it/think you'll find it travelling so much. I'm from Manchester so it's a 4 hour train ride away (at ~50-60 a ticket) which would add up for a student over the year (particularly when you have to move out during Christmas) and I also think that when it gets to clinical years, and work and responsibility starts coming up, being so far away from home could be a disadvantage? It is between Southampton and HYMS for my last choice. Unfortunately haven't even visited either but I do think I'd prefer it at Southampton. Indeed if it was closer I'd definitely be applying.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by ja1
Random question, but is anyone applying from the North/is there anyone who goes there from the North? Not that I need a gaggle of Northerners around me but I'm just interested in how you've found it/think you'll find it travelling so much. I'm from Manchester so it's a 4 hour train ride away (at ~50-60 a ticket) which would add up for a student over the year (particularly when you have to move out during Christmas) and I also think that when it gets to clinical years, and work and responsibility starts coming up, being so far away from home could be a disadvantage? It is between Southampton and HYMS for my last choice. Unfortunately haven't even visited either but I do think I'd prefer it at Southampton. Indeed if it was closer I'd definitely be applying.

Posted from TSR Mobile

What's your ukcat score?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 66
Original post by ellipsis...
What's your ukcat score?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ja1
Random question, but is anyone applying from the North/any current students from the North? Not that I need a gaggle of Northerners around me but I'm just interested in how you've found it/think you'll find it travelling so much. I'm from Manchester so it's a 4 hour train ride away (at ~50-60 a ticket) which would add up for a student over the year (particularly when you have to move out during Christmas) and I also think that when it gets to clinical years, and work and responsibility starts coming up, being so far away from home could be a disadvantage? It is between Southampton and HYMS for my last choice. Unfortunately haven't even visited either but I do think I'd prefer it at Southampton. Indeed if it was closer I'd definitely be applying.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I know a lot of Northerners here. You don't have to move out at christmas unless you get a certain type of contract. Some people will even choose to stay. But yes, if you choose to go home every weekend the costs can add up, but you can budget for travel home for sure.

I don't think being closer to home has any baring on clinicals (which are at least 4-5 years away!). You live on site, and you move around to various hospitals every 6 weeks so even if you did live near Soton to start, your placements could be quite far away from it anyway.

You can get student travel cards which reduce the costs or after 1st year you can bring a car down.

I have friends from Bolton and Liverpool here so I'll ask them and get back to you :smile:
Reply 68
I know a lot of Northerners here. You don't have to move out at christmas unless you get a certain type of contract. Some people will even choose to stay. But yes, if you choose to go home every weekend the costs can add up, but you can budget for travel home for sure.

I don't think being closer to home has any baring on clinicals (which are at least 4-5 years away!). You live on site, and you move around to various hospitals every 6 weeks so even if you did live near Soton to start, your placements could be quite far away from it anyway.

You can get student travel cards which reduce the costs or after 1st year you can bring a car down.

I have friends from Bolton and Liverpool here so I'll ask them and get back to you :smile:

Thanks, feel a bit more reassured now! Of course wouldn't want to travel home every weekend, even travelling home at all during term time wouldn't be very feasible. Having said that in a way I also feel like it'll be a bit of a wake up call, not being able to just go back up the parents for 1-2 days if you're feeling tired or whatever.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wow great score- you'll get an interview at both places so I guess you can just apply to whichever you prefer! Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 70
Wow great score- you'll get an interview at both places so I guess you can just apply to whichever you prefer! Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks, haha well I'd like to think I have a good chance with both for interview. Interestingly they both use a group interview should you get to interview stage - do you know how these work?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ja1
Thanks, haha well I'd like to think I have a good chance with both for interview. Interestingly they both use a group interview should you get to interview stage - do you know how these work?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah Soton will have a "normal" medicine panel interview and a group interview. The group interview cannot be prepared for before the day when they will give you time to prepare. It doesn't require any prior knowledge and they don't really like people to share much about it. It's a group discussion that is watched by interviewers in short :smile:
Reply 72
Neostigmine,

Any news on UKCAT cut-off for grads applying for A100?
Original post by lawdoxmd
Neostigmine,

Any news on UKCAT cut-off for grads applying for A100?

Yep!

As guidance, below are the lowest scores (in the region of) for applicants who were invited to a selection day in 2014:-

BM4 3000
BM5 school leavers/graduates/overseas 2800
Mature non-graduates 2500
BM6 Not applicable

You're considered amongst school leavers :yes:
Reply 74
Yep!

You're considered amongst school leavers :yes:

Thanks.
Any comments on the information below from the Southampton medical school website 7th October 2014. I have a UKCAT score of 2670 which is low for last years cutoff of 2800 but wondering if it's with a shot as I really liked their med school on open day. I meet all other requirements academic etc...

"How will the University of Southampton use the test results in its selection process?

Update - 7 October 2014: According to the latest information from UKCAT for the 2014 test, the data shows that candidates are scoring up to 200 points lower than last year. Therefore the approximate lowest scores that gain an invitation to attend a selection day are likely to be reduced comparably."
Original post by richsiobhan
Any comments on the information below from the Southampton medical school website 7th October 2014. I have a UKCAT score of 2670 which is low for last years cutoff of 2800 but wondering if it's with a shot as I really liked their med school on open day. I meet all other requirements academic etc...

"How will the University of Southampton use the test results in its selection process?

Update - 7 October 2014: According to the latest information from UKCAT for the 2014 test, the data shows that candidates are scoring up to 200 points lower than last year. Therefore the approximate lowest scores that gain an invitation to attend a selection day are likely to be reduced comparably."

I think you'll be fine- I think it could go down to as low as 2600. Especially when looking at this statement. I emailed them and they replied today saying it was harder this year and they anticipate the cutoff to be lower this year.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Btw I'm applying with 2710 and they told me that they thought this was a 'very good' score this year- so 2670 should get you an interview

Posted from TSR Mobile
Btw I'm applying with 2710 and they told me that they thought this was a 'very good' score this year- so 2670 should get you an interview

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm going to give it a shot, hoping my academics & personal statement will nail it. Fab campus and so warm when I visited compared to up north in Yorkshire!!
I'm going to give it a shot, hoping my academics & personal statement will nail it. Fab campus and so warm when I visited compared to up north in Yorkshire!!

Academics and PS don't really factor. You need to meet the minimum requirements and your PS will shape your interview. But it's literally UKCAT to get an interview and interview to get an offer.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending