The Student Room Group

Do I have the right to defend myself if I am attacked?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
attack them back the police wont do **** either way.
Reply 21
Just fu ck them up.. if you go down you can always contact the Sun newspaper, get them to do a news story on it and get the decision over-turned...

Turned out great for Tony Martin.. Oh wait...
aeonflux
You're an idiot. I don't want any criminal or indeed any member of the public walking around the streets with a chemical weapon in their pocket.

Well I think it's a good idea. If you are being raped or attacked by a man twice the size of you then it's going to be a lot easier to spray them in the eyes with something than try to fight them off. Yes, people will abuse it because people are idiots. But it's not as dangerous as someone walking around with a knife in their pocket is it?
Reply 23
bittersweetxsymphony
Well I think it's a good idea. If you are being raped or attacked by a man twice the size of you then it's going to be a lot easier to spray them in the eyes with something than try to fight them off.

It's also a lot easier for criminals to subdue you if they have easy access to harmful chemical weapons. If you can get your hands on it, so can they. If you're worried about getting raped it makes a lot more sense (and is a lot safer, and legal) to carry a rape alarm around instead of pepper spray

Yes, people will abuse it because people are idiots.

Yes, people are idiots, which is why they shouldn't be allowed access to chemical weapons.

But it's not as dangerous as someone walking around with a knife in their pocket is it?

What kind of backwards argument is this? A grenade isn't as dangerous as a nuclear bomb, should we legalise grenades too? Knifes won't be made illegal because there are legitimate reasons for owning a knife. There is no legitimate reason to own a chemical weapon.
YOu have to sit there and say "sorry old chap but do you have a weapon? It's just, I can't defend myself until I have confirmation"

:facepalm2: this country is stupid
Reply 25
You can use 'reasonable force'. And you don't have to wait to be hit, you can strike your assailant first.
If attacked by a group of people you probably have the right to shoot them. Not only can you defend yourself physically but through means of weapons.
Reply 27
I was attacked the other day as i was aware it was unprovoked i was punched in the face and in self defence i went for her back with neccesary force i was in shock and called police when i went to police station they said ive seen footage and cause i went for her back i was in the wrong for doing so and i can get arrested when it was self defence and classed me as not being a victim when i got hit first totally unprovoked and seems to me she getting away with it police wont help which dont make sence felt violated and intimidated as feel nothings getting do is it me or do i feel like its CARUPTED
of course you can fight back
If someone tries to attack you, kick the **** out of them.

The fact that we even have to have this discussion is a mockery of the crappy grey legal area in the UK.
Our current laws are outrageous. If you are attacked you should be allowed to open fire in self-defence. If leads to death, you shouldn't be punished.
Original post by 45 don
I was attacked the other day as i was aware it was unprovoked i was punched in the face and in self defence i went for her back with neccesary force i was in shock and called police when i went to police station they said ive seen footage and cause i went for her back i was in the wrong for doing so and i can get arrested when it was self defence and classed me as not being a victim when i got hit first totally unprovoked and seems to me she getting away with it police wont help which dont make sence felt violated and intimidated as feel nothings getting do is it me or do i feel like its CARUPTED

Mate. Did you just bump this?

:rolleyes:

Well for all it's worth, I'll play along:

obviously, OP. There.
Under the current laws, if you feel threatened or are attacked, you have the right to respond with reasonable force.

So if someone punches you, you can crack them back, that doesn't mean you can then stamp on them.

What this does mean though, if your feeling threatened, and someone clinches their fist, and you fully believe they are about to hit you. You can hit them first.

You may still be arrested for affray. But you have the right to defend yourself with reasonable force
I was attacked on the streets of London I was hit in the chest and threaten I threw one punch which knock the person on the floor. this person then bit my hand drawing blood.

outcome I was given a caution for common assault the other person walked away scott free.

Justice in the U K does not exsist by the way I'm a sixty year old man my attacker was 27
Hmm what I have learnt in Martial Arts was, to firstly size up your opponent. If you feel you can take him one then do it but if not run away as fast as you can.

You were getting attacked by a group of people, so you best bet would have been to run as fast as you could. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending