The Student Room Group

Should I switch A levels?

I am currently doing Maths, Further Maths,Chemistry,Politics, History (&possibly Add Further Maths). Should I switch Politics for either Economics,Biology,Spanish or Physics? I have vexed interests on one hand I enjoy scientific things but on the other more historical things, so at university I am thinking PPE,Maths,Economics or Chemistry/Biology. I don't think Politics A level is for me and I feel like I should be doing something related to Maths seeing as that will be my key strength in the future.
Reply 1
Original post by MrJAKEE
I am currently doing Maths, Further Maths,Chemistry,Politics, History (&possibly Add Further Maths). Should I switch Politics for either Economics,Biology,Spanish or Physics? I have vexed interests on one hand I enjoy scientific things but on the other more historical things, so at university I am thinking PPE,Maths,Economics or Chemistry/Biology. I don't think Politics A level is for me and I feel like I should be doing something related to Maths seeing as that will be my key strength in the future.

Five AS levels is quite a lot of extra work, and could result in lower grades compared to focusing on four. It provides no real advantage in terms of how universities view your application, so far as I can tell, and it is far better to have four As than five Bs. The only good reason to do five is because you really enjoy all those subjects and couldn't decide between them. The fact that you don't like your fifth subject, coupled with the fact that you don't really know what you want to do instead, indicates that this is not the reason you are doing five subjects. If you want to do maths at university, you will be fine with maths, further maths and chemistry (although physics is the best 3rd subject for maths). Don't underestimate the amount of catching up there will be to do if you pick up another subject. My advice is drop the politics and focus on four, but if you insist on 5 and think maths is your strength then physics is probably the one to go for. I hope this is useful advice
Reply 2
Original post by Meriadoc
Five AS levels is quite a lot of extra work, and could result in lower grades compared to focusing on four. It provides no real advantage in terms of how universities view your application, so far as I can tell, and it is far better to have four As than five Bs. The only good reason to do five is because you really enjoy all those subjects and couldn't decide between them. The fact that you don't like your fifth subject, coupled with the fact that you don't really know what you want to do instead, indicates that this is not the reason you are doing five subjects. If you want to do maths at university, you will be fine with maths, further maths and chemistry (although physics is the best 3rd subject for maths). Don't underestimate the amount of catching up there will be to do if you pick up another subject. My advice is drop the politics and focus on four, but if you insist on 5 and think maths is your strength then physics is probably the one to go for. I hope this is useful advice

I enjoy all the subjects I take.. I enjoy a lot of subjects that's the only problem lol. I don't see how it would dramatically impact my overall grades, I'm not bad at Maths, by the end of this term I would have done 4/6 of the modules required by the two A levels. I completely take on though about Physics, I got an A* in it at GCSE but really struggled through it- I've had quite icky teachers in the past for it who I've never done well with. Thank you very much for your advice :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Why are you doing so many subjects?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Why 5 subjects?
What career path do you want to take? Your A Level choices should be dependent on that realistically.
Reply 5
Original post by Edminzodo
Why are you doing so many subjects?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I love all of them really. Maths I'm quite good at and have done FSMQ so I thought I might as well.. Practically going to get 2/3 of the maths + further maths course done by the end of this term. History I've always been interested in along with Chemistry, and at one point I was highly political (and still am to a degree!) but feel that the course isn't for me.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by AlphaMolecule
isn't it a bit late

Nothing that I can't catch up on in my extensive Christmas holidays :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah I'd swap politics for economics - Economics would defo be more useful if you decided you wanted to do PPE or economics at university. Also, at AS level it is quite straightforward so it wouldn't be too hard to catch up.
Original post by MrJAKEE
Nothing that I can't catch up on in my extensive Christmas holidays :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Trust me, that won't be as easy as you think.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by Edminzodo
Trust me, that won't be as easy as you think.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I have over 5 weeks of Christmas holidays.. If what I miss has been 5weeks of work this half term (the first half-term is also the easiest part of the year) I don't see it being desperately hard. I would have 6hours of economics a week so if I did 6hours a day for 5days (assuming I could understand the things said) I could so it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
You can't. Its too late.

You can't just spend christmas catching up on one subject, you have others to hard work with.

5 subjects is a lot of hard work...

Quick Reply

Latest