The Student Room Group

Birmingham vs BCU? Differences

I've sent off my UCAS and I've applied to Birmingham Uni(first choice) and BCU(backup if I miss the grades) for Business Management. I know Birmingham Uni is higher ranked and that so I want to go there more but I feel if I do badly in my exams this year then I'll have to go to BCU. What are the differences between like the people there, the teaching, other things which are important in Uni?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by priyanka256
I've sent off my UCAS and I've applied to Birmingham Uni(first choice) and BCU(backup if I miss the grades) for Business Management. I know Birmingham Uni is higher ranked and that so I want to go there more but I feel if I do badly in my exams this year then I'll have to go to BCU. What are the differences between like the people there, the teaching, other things which are important in Uni?

Why are you not allowed to leave Birmingham?
Reply 2

You will be working hard from day one at uni of bham.
At BCU you will be chilling and having a good time.
I know this because I went to UOB for accounting. My cousin went to BCU and in his second year he is still enjoying the free time
Reply 3
Original post by nulli tertius
Why are you not allowed to leave Birmingham?

I'm not from Birmingham.
Reply 4
Original post by freedom
You will be working hard from day one at uni of bham.
At BCU you will be chilling and having a good time.
I know this because I went to UOB for accounting. My cousin went to BCU and in his second year he is still enjoying the free time

In that case I think I prefer BCU
I'm not from Birmingham.

To rephrase that why of all the places in the UK where you could study, are you only prepared to consider Birmingham?
Reply 6
In that case I think I prefer BCU

Why bother going at all? You can do even less if you stay at home and get JSA.
Reply 7
Original post by josh_v
Why bother going at all? You can do even less if you stay at home and get JSA.

is it actually that bad? Like would the other people there just not try to study? (I would say I'm quite average in terms of hard working)
Reply 8
Original post by nulli tertius
To rephrase that why of all the places in the UK where you could study, are you only prepared to consider Birmingham?

just liked the city
Reply 9
is it actually that bad? Like would the other people there just not try to study? (I would say I'm quite average in terms of hard working)

The quality of the uni is irrelevant. If you prefer to go to BCU because there is less work to do, then surely you prefer to just stay at home and do nothing. Thats even less work than BCU.

There are also 2 other unis in Birmingham.
Original post by josh_v
The quality of the uni is irrelevant. If you prefer to go to BCU because there is less work to do, then surely you prefer to just stay at home and do nothing. Thats even less work than BCU.

but I want a degree. I want to work, but I don't want too much work in Uni

Like my cousin, who goes to BCU. He gets 2.1 in his second year, and I have never seen him work.
I am working so hard, I am even reading while I eat, but I am struggling to get 2.1. And I have AAA at Alevels
Original post by josh_v

That is very true, we will just be over here feeling rejected. :wink:
Original post by BenedikTHyland
X

Can't tell if troll or serious.
Original post by freedom
Like my cousin, who goes to BCU. He gets 2.1 in his second year, and I have never seen him work.
I am working so hard, I am even reading while I eat, but I am struggling to get 2.1. And I have AAA at Alevels

Do they really set standards that low? I don't think it's for me then. I do work, I just don't want to have to work too much.
Do they really set standards that low? I don't think it's for me then. I do work, I just don't want to have to work too much.

Hi, I studied law at BCU and got a 2.1. I got a scholarship to study an LL.M at LSE. Don't listen to people saying it will be easy because it certainly will not be. The teaching, workload etc feels the same at LSE as it was at Birmingham City University, to be honest. The only difference at LSE is that I am surrounded by people with better A Levels. People criticise BCU, mainly, because of the location but it is moving into a newly built campus September 2015, so will then build a better reputation. Honestly, BCU isn't that bad. People on here like to feel superior to those who went to a lower ranked uni. Career prospects are also better than people on here say. Many of my friends have found training contracts and graduate roles.

Good luck for your future,

Mark
Hi, I studied law at BCU and got a 2.1. I got a scholarship to study an LL.M at LSE. Don't listen to people saying it will be easy because it certainly will not be. The teaching, workload etc feels the same at LSE as it was at Birmingham City University, to be honest. The only difference at LSE is that I am surrounded by people with better A Levels. People criticise BCU, mainly, because of the location but it is moving into a newly built campus September 2015, so will then build a better reputation. Honestly, BCU isn't that bad. People on here like to feel superior to those who went to a lower ranked uni. Career prospects are also better than people on here say. Many of my friends have found training contracts and graduate roles.

Good luck for your future,

Mark
Original post by freedom

Freedom, without being disrespectful, if you're reading as heavily a you say and still are struggling to achieve a 2.1, then that may indicate that the course you are taking is not for you. The fact you achieved AAA is irrelevant, as A levels are level 3 and degree is 4,5,6. Maybe you cannot handle the independent learning environment, as A levels is completely different learning environment to degree. It would be unfair to undermine other people degrees, due to you struggling with yours.
lel BCU is like worst in the country. Why would you go there unless u want #dembenefits
Original post by Aston University
That is very true, we will just be over here feeling rejected. :wink:

I laughed at this so hard 😂😂😂😂

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending