The Student Room Group

Being told you're not good enough.

Today i was told by my Biology teacher i wasn't good enough even if i tried to achieve the grade i want (B). After i told her what job i wanted to do she said to me bluntly said i think we should go for something realistic, i'm resitting AS-level with the exception of one subject.

I must admit i haven't performed for her, last year i got cocky after thinking it was as GCSE'S which is evidently wrong. This year i'm resitting that along with Chemistry, this year is obviously easier, however new things have come to effect me, recently a close friend passed, my parents split up just over a year ago and mygirlfriend of 2 years split up and my grandfather isn't felling well, as a result iv'e been in a emotionally tough time, as expected iv'e just wanted to be left alone and just relax and do nothing, as a result work dropped too just homework and no self revision.
Some of my teachers know about this, but she in particular doesn't know (unless there's been some staff room gossip). Back to the point, at GCSE i was that bad boy at school not caring but the one with alot of potential, i was predicted 1 D and 8 E's 3 U's at GCSE, within 6 months i changed that around gathering myself a few B's and C's, at the end of year eleven i bagged myself An A In all Science, Two B's and 9 C's, i proved her wrong at GCSE, but this time she obviously has no belief.

Now i understand you must be to the point at times however instead of saying "even if you tried, you wouldn't get the grades to do what you want" or "You should look at something different" both of which she said, Now i'm one of those tough guys, big and beefy but when she degraded me like that i felt she had stripped away everything i had and achieved. I acccept her honesty but she's a teacher someone to encourage give information, i'm from a rough area where most kids families are living on the bear minimum and as a result you would assume she would have kind of heart and push us even more to achieve what we can, now the point of this thread was more to let others get things off their chest, similar to my situation,

Has anyone ever told you, you weren't good enough? Did you prove them wrong? Were they right? I'd love to hear what you have to say.
Regards Rich.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Got predicted a B at GCSE Irish because I went through some personal **** and all, resulting in me breaking down in 2 orals. My teacher didn't have faith.

I got a high A, and that teacher now has written me a brilliant reference for UCAS this week.

Have faith in yourself. If you know you can do it, do it. But don't stress yourself out, please.
back in year 9, i was told i wasn't good enough for triple science
went on to get A*AA....

teachers sometimes get it wrong, believe in yourself and if you think you can do it, then do it and push yourself
Did you end up getting unclassified in those orals or your predicted grades? It's nice to hear you got a high A? Did she say anything to you on results day? I'm trying not too, i feel better recently but still alot of stress.
Reply 4
Original post by Richpeasant
Did you end up getting unclassified in those orals or your predicted grades? It's nice to hear you got a high A? Did she say anything to you on results day? I'm trying not too, i feel better recently but still alot of stress.

I was allowed to redo them, and I got a B overall in that section. I think it's because I got full marks in my writing assessments that I got my high A.
No, she has never said anything about it. But I love the satisfaction of proving her wrong. :smile:
Yes, it's a lot of stress, so vent on TSR if it gets to you. I've received some brilliant advice on here. :smile:
Today i was told by my Biology teacher i wasn't good enough even if i tried to achieve the grade i want (B). After i told her what job i wanted to do she said to me bluntly said i think we should go for something realistic, i'm resitting AS-level with the exception of one subject.

I must admit i haven't performed for her, last year i got cocky after thinking it was as GCSE'S which is evidently wrong. This year i'm resitting that along with Chemistry, this year is obviously easier, however new things have come to effect me, recently a close friend passed, my parents split up just over a year ago and mygirlfriend of 2 years split up and my grandfather isn't felling well, as a result iv'e been in a emotionally tough time, as expected iv'e just wanted to be left alone and just relax and do nothing, as a result work dropped too just homework and no self revision.
Some of my teachers know about this, but she in particular doesn't know (unless there's been some staff room gossip). Back to the point, at GCSE i was that bad boy at school not caring but the one with alot of potential, i was predicted 1 D and 8 E's 3 U's at GCSE, within 6 months i changed that around gathering myself a few B's and C's, at the end of year eleven i bagged myself An A In all Science, Two B's and 9 C's, i proved her wrong at GCSE, but this time she obviously has no belief.

Now i understand you must be to the point at times however instead of saying "even if you tried, you wouldn't get the grades to do what you want" or "You should look at something different" both of which she said, Now i'm one of those tough guys, big and beefy but when she degraded me like that i felt she had stripped away everything i had and achieved. I acccept her honesty but she's a teacher someone to encourage give information, i'm from a rough area where most kids families are living on the bear minimum and as a result you would assume she would have kind of heart and push us even more to achieve what we can, now the point of this thread was more to let others get things off their chest, similar to my situation,

Has anyone ever told you, you weren't good enough? Did you prove them wrong? Were they right? I'd love to hear what you have to say.
Regards Rich.

Always Remember "Winners are to busy to be sad, to positive to be doubtful, to optimistic to be fearful, and too determined to be defeated."
Reply 6
Told I wasn't good enough for pretty much everything.

I agree with them tbh.
That's good news, that's why i want this B, obviously for myself but too show someone to never put someone down, she even linked my Handwriting to my intelligence " Your righting is scruffy, sometimes it's unreadable, how do you expect todo well if you write like you have been" I was in my head just laughing, i must admit my handwriting is disastrous but what an odd thing to say.
Are you doing AS levels now, or was this story for a while back, if it was, what did you end up doing?:biggrin:
I feel like ranting on here helps but not always people reply haha!
Told I wasn't good enough to pass biology GCSE, ended up with full marks in all three exams. (Damn prac let me down though)

You put the work in and you'll be just fine, I know it's a tough time for you but maybe try and set up a routine for yourself? Like, do an hour of work a day, at the same time, and then relax when you can to try and think everything over and de-stress.
Reply 9
That's good news, that's why i want this B, obviously for myself but too show someone to never put someone down, she even linked my Handwriting to my intelligence " Your righting is scruffy, sometimes it's unreadable, how do you expect todo well if you write like you have been" I was in my head just laughing, i must admit my handwriting is disastrous but what an odd thing to say.
Are you doing AS levels now, or was this story for a while back, if it was, what did you end up doing?:biggrin:
I feel like ranting on here helps but not always people reply haha!

Handwriting?! Oh,what a pile of crap! Ignore her.

I'm doing my A2 year currently. A lot of work,but I'm enjoying it.

They don't always reply, but at least it is out there!
Original post by Arkasia
Told I wasn't good enough for pretty much everything.

I agree with them tbh.

Why do you agree, what makes you think such things?
Original post by CescaD96
Handwriting?! Oh,what a pile of crap! Ignore her.

I'm doing my A2 year currently. A lot of work,but I'm enjoying it.

They don't always reply, but at least it is out there!

What A2's are you doing, how did your AS results go (if you don't mind me asking).
I was told that i wasn't good enough to go on and do A Levels. I got my A levels and am now at University.

Only now have i found out that I'm Dyslexic. Being branded Lazy and not clever is not something i appreciate by the person who was interviewing me at the time.

I proved him wrong :smile:
Original post by abbiemac
Told I wasn't good enough to pass biology GCSE, ended up with full marks in all three exams. (Damn prac let me down though)

You put the work in and you'll be just fine, I know it's a tough time for you but maybe try and set up a routine for yourself? Like, do an hour of work a day, at the same time, and then relax when you can to try and think everything over and de-stress.

I hate practicals, i mean they're all pointless and 90 percent of the time don't work, atleast at our school anyway haha, probably more just to understand the chemical process, or to understand what ever you were doing the experiment for
Why do you agree, what makes you think such things?

I am a realist. No-one is good at everything, and many people are good at nothing. It's delusion to think "as long as I work at something, I will succeed", because most (not all) of the time it's nonsensical.
Reply 15
What A2's are you doing, how did your AS results go (if you don't mind me asking).

English Lit, Religion, Politics, History. I got AAAB, and I'm repeating an AS History module to pull up my B grade
Reply 16
I was told in Year 9 that I wasn't good enough to take 12 subjects for GCSE and additional maths FSMQ because I was predicted straight Bs.
I got 12A*s and an A in Add Maths and went back to see the teacher who said I wasn't good enough on results day and she blushed lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile
You know what, just work hard and if somedays you feel de-motivated just remind yourself of what your teacher said to you and think about how doing your work, revising and staying focused is going to end. You will end up with amazing grades on results day and its the B E S T feeling ever when you throw you great grades in your teachers face esp when they had no faith in you.
use what your teacher says as motivation, dont worry. Just stay focused and you'll do well.
I was in bottom set science in year 8 and year 9, and tried to do fast track triple science.
School said no because I wasnt good enough, so I had to do standard triple science.

Got A*'s the next year lol.
Original post by Hachik0
I was told that i wasn't good enough to go on and do A Levels. I got my A levels and am now at University.

Only now have i found out that I'm Dyslexic. Being branded Lazy and not clever is not something i appreciate by the person who was interviewing me at the time.

I proved him wrong :smile:

Only recently found out you were Dyslexic? Was there any sort of % added to all your exam results, as obviously at that time you didn't have the support that most people in the same situation did have. Nice to hear you got to university, the university interviewee called you 'not clever' that's harsh, any reason he said that?!:O

Quick Reply

Latest