The Student Room Group

Bedwetting and relationships

I've been seeing a guy for a couple of months now. And the other night when I was staying over I wet his bed. He was very sweet and told me not to worry about it. But I made it seem as though this was a one time thing as I was extremely embarrassed about it. Now I'm not sure how to tell him the truth about my bedwetting.
Have you been to the doctor about it?
Reply 2
Yeah I've been to a lot of different doctors and I've tried a few different medications, but nothing has worked for me. This has been a problem since I was little.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I think he already knows the truth if its already happened... try to take that as the icebreaker. He already knows it CAN happen... you just need to let him know that its a long term problem.

Yes, its embarrasing, but if you want this relationship to be a long term thing, you need to bite the bullet and start being honest.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 4
I think he will probably already have guessed what the issue is. Im sure you have already done your research re cures and remedies etc. I think a lot of it has psychological links. Do you have a bed alarm at home to try and train yourself?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wet-Stop3-Bedwetting-Enuresis-Alarm-Pink/dp/B00629GDD6
I don't really know what to suggest other than to tell him about it and explain you can't control it. Hopefully he will be ok with it. If not then he probably isn't right for you. I still wet my bed so understand just how bad it is.
You need to tell him the truth about it. If he is the one for you in the long term, he won't judge you for it. You should continue with the doctor, and I agree with the bedwetting alarm as suggested.

You can buy adult underwear with pads similar to nappies; perhaps you would consider wearing these to bed - at the very least it means that when it happens, the bed wouldn't be wet, and you'd just be able to go and change without drawing any attention to it.

You could keep them by your side of the bed and put them on when you're ready to go to sleep. Of course let your boyfriend know about them.

Honestly, it might not be a common thing, but I don't think it's anything to be embarrassed about. We all have different medical problems, don't we.
Don't worry about it, more people than you think have this problem. I would tell him and then try to figure out a way of managing it. Just try to slip it in with casual conversation. Also as the above post said I think that wearing nappies would help the situation. Just bring one with you when you go round, put it on before bed and then the worst that can happen is you wake up in a soggy nappy. Maybe I find it a bit more normal as my brother wore night nappies until he was 12 because of bedwetting. But still it's not like he has to see you in it. Just throw it straight into the bin. I hope it all woks out.
Reply 8
Original post by Limpopo
I think he will probably already have guessed what the issue is. Im sure you have already done your research re cures and remedies etc. I think a lot of it has psychological links. Do you have a bed alarm at home to try and train yourself?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wet-Stop3-Bedwetting-Enuresis-Alarm-Pink/dp/B00629GDD6

He might have but i'm not entirely sure. At home I usually just set an alarm on my phone in the middle of the night, but I don't like doing that when I'm staying at someone else's place.

Quick Reply

Latest