The Student Room Group

Music Applicants 2015

Hi everyone,

I have had a quick look around on here, but I can't find many people applying for Music courses. I have decided to go for a BA in Popular Music (Preferably at Edinburgh Napier). Just wondering if anyone else is going for the same course? Or anyone doing the course who can give advice? If not, please share what you're applying for and where! :smile:

Euan.

Scroll to see replies

Hello :smile:

Applied for music at huddersfield,manchester met, anglia ruskin (first choice),wolverhampton and salford, Had offers from huddersfield, manchester met and anglia ruskin and should here back from wolverhampton this week (had my interview friday). Just waiting on salford to hurry up with a rearranged interview date!!
Reply 2
Hey!
I applied for the BA Pop Music as well! I actually applied last year, did the audition and got the place but made the silly mistake of going to study something other than music. So here I am applying all over again. Have you heard any word back about the auditions?
Reply 3
Wow! That's exactly what I did :awesome:. I have heard back from Northampton, got an audition for there but the others haven't replied yet. What about you?

I made the stupid mistake of doing engineering. It made me want to cry haha.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by euzzo_
Wow! That's exactly what I did :awesome:. I have heard back from Northampton, got an audition for there but the others haven't replied yet. What about you?

I made the stupid mistake of doing engineering. It made me want to cry haha.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Haha I'm not the only one who's done that then- thank goodness! Edinburgh Uni's MA course asked for additional information because they don't hold auditions for that one so I just submitted a few recordings and explained my gigging/performance experiences over the past year or so. Good luck for your audition then- whats you principal study? Oh and do you have your Grade 5 theory?
Reply 5
Thanks :smile: principal study is guitar. Second is composition. I think the popular music courses allow you to take that as a study. What about yourself?

And I haven't done the grade 5 theory test yet but got it booked for March. Any advice?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Mine is composition. Yeah the course lets you study that. You're definitely asking the wrong person about theory advice. I need to get round to booking it asap!
Reply 7
You should be able to get one for either March or June I think they are. What kinda stuff is it you compose? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Well I'd call myself a songwriter before a composer haha. Its usually kinda country/folk songs etc. What about yourself?
Reply 9
Aw I love it. Haha. Give me a link to your soundcloud :smile: will take a listen. Usually blues stuff, alternative stuff... I listen to a lot of rock but I can't write that to save myself.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Yeah sure! https://soundcloud.com/ruth-gillies
The majority of the stuff on there is covers- working on an EP so trying to keep the more decent material for that!
Oh nice one!
Reply 11
Your originals are really good though. I can't sing at all really so mine are dire :')

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Haha thank you, they're not all that though! I'm sure yours are good.
Original post by rg1415
Haha I'm not the only one who's done that then- thank goodness! Edinburgh Uni's MA course asked for additional information because they don't hold auditions for that one so I just submitted a few recordings and explained my gigging/performance experiences over the past year or so. Good luck for your audition then- whats you principal study? Oh and do you have your Grade 5 theory?
I have applied for Edinburgh's MA course too, have you heard back from them yet after sending the additional info? They're the only uni I'm waiting to hear from for my music courses.
Reply 14
Original post by leveridge96
Hello :smile:

Applied for music at huddersfield,manchester met, anglia ruskin (first choice),wolverhampton and salford, Had offers from huddersfield, manchester met and anglia ruskin and should here back from wolverhampton this week (had my interview friday). Just waiting on salford to hurry up with a rearranged interview date!!

hi, hope you've got your interview sorted, I've got an audition at Salford in about 2 weeks - anybody know anything about the theory test, do they send out sample papers like Wolverhampton?
Original post by corino
hi, hope you've got your interview sorted, I've got an audition at Salford in about 2 weeks - anybody know anything about the theory test, do they send out sample papers like Wolverhampton?

Just had the interview yesterday funnily enough which went well :biggrin: I didn't get sent a sample paper for either Salford or Wolverhampton uni? The theory test ain't bad though there's some scales, chords but in either staff form for popular music or Roman numerals for straight music as well as correcting two bars of rhythm and a transposition! Apart from one of the scales and correcting the rhythm, I found the paper pretty easy!:smile:
Reply 16
I am going for late auditions in Birmingham and RNCM for piano performance anyone applied there? Anyone for piano and what did you guys play out of interest.
eve
xx
Reply 17
Just had the interview yesterday funnily enough which went well :biggrin: I didn't get sent a sample paper for either Salford or Wolverhampton uni? The theory test ain't bad though there's some scales, chords but in either staff form for popular music or Roman numerals for straight music as well as correcting two bars of rhythm and a transposition! Apart from one of the scales and correcting the rhythm, I found the paper pretty easy!:smile:

I noticed you got an Unconditional for Wolverhampton, well done! which music course is it you applied for? My audition for BMus Popular music is on Tuesday :s-smilie:
Original post by corino
I noticed you got an Unconditional for Wolverhampton, well done! which music course is it you applied for? My audition for BMus Popular music is on Tuesday :s-smilie:

Thank you it's for the bmus music :biggrin: Good luck for your audition on tuesday :smile:
Reply 19
Thank you it's for the bmus music :biggrin: Good luck for your audition on tuesday :smile:

Cool :smile: how would you say Wolverhampton compared with Salford? I didn't get the chance to go to the open day

Quick Reply

Latest