The Student Room Group

Anyone else hating higher maths????

I am so fed up with higher maths, but I thinks that's because I have such a useless and boring teacher! I got an A at nat 5 but at higher I've already failed a NAB and got a C in the prelim. I know I've got to just keep at it but it's so boring! Anyone else feel the same?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
Sorry can't relate with you on this one- I love higher maths, I'm not quite hitting the A target in my A/B tests but not far to go. Certainly forging ahead is all you can do at this point but if you're really struggling and feel you need more help have you attended extra study sessions? Or maybe even considered a tutor just to boost you to the grades you're hoping for :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 2
I hate maths because of higher so much and just struggling in general. I got a B in Nat 5 and now I just dread my prelim in two weeks and the real exam too..

I need a B. I have no idea how I'm gonna get that. :/
Its easy at Higher to think that everything you are learning is pointless garbage and hence boring (especially if you have a bad teacher). I encourage you to do some background reading into why you are learning certain techniques, or to learn how the techniques actually work - This is where maths deep intrinsic beauty lies.
Essentially, this.

If all else fails, see Higher Maths for what it is - a glorified memory test. Study pastpapers and treat questions in a 'paint by numbers' fashion.
Original post by C16
I hate maths because of higher so much and just struggling in general. I got a B in Nat 5 and now I just dread my prelim in two weeks and the real exam too..

I need a B. I have no idea how I'm gonna get that. :/

Thursday by any chance?
Reply 5
Original post by Higherdude
Thursday by any chance?

Nope. Monday the 2nd. (Underestmated a bit. I guess that's a bit worrying for a maths exam :s-smilie:)
Reply 6
I felt like that at first, I did Int 2 Maths last year and got an A and got above 90% in all of my tests, but as soon as I started higher I noticed a big jump and i did struggle with a lot of the unit 1 at first. So I decided to get a math tutor and it has helped me so much! Maybe you should try that? Because sometimes just your class teacher isn't enough and one to one help really makes you understand things a lot more!! All the best of luck and try not to be too negative as it never makes anything better!
Reply 7
Original post by Dionnem
I felt like that at first, I did Int 2 Maths last year and got an A and got above 90% in all of my tests, but as soon as I started higher I noticed a big jump and i did struggle with a lot of the unit 1 at first. So I decided to get a math tutor and it has helped me so much! Maybe you should try that? Because sometimes just your class teacher isn't enough and one to one help really makes you understand things a lot more!! All the best of luck and try not to be too negative as it never makes anything better!

It's a good idea to get a tutor yeah. I have one now and just had my first session today and I feel like it will certainly help in the future too. It's a good way to get a different perspective on topics that you struggle with even if it's only been one session I feel I will do a lot better with this now.
Original post by Dionnem

Original post by C16
It's a good idea to get a tutor yeah. I have one now and just had my first session today and I feel like it will certainly help in the future too. It's a good way to get a different perspective on topics that you struggle with even if it's only been one session I feel I will do a lot better with this now.

Or suck it up, dont seek the "easy" option and learn it yourself..
Reply 9
I wouldn't say that it is the 'easy' option at all. If you are struggling to understand something on your own why would you not seek extra help? Even now that I don't need a tutor as much I still get lessons from him as it gives you a different perspective of understanding things and different techniques compared to your class teacher! Everyone has a different teaching style so it is highly beneficial to get a good math tutor. I say, if it is going to help you, why would you not go for it?
Original post by Dionnem
I wouldn't say that it is the 'easy' option at all. If you are struggling to understand something on your own why would you not seek extra help? Even now that I don't need a tutor as much I still get lessons from him as it gives you a different perspective of understanding things and different techniques compared to your class teacher! Everyone has a different teaching style so it is highly beneficial to get a good math tutor. I say, if it is going to help you, why would you not go for it?

Getting the experience of learning stuff by yourself will be beneficial in your future studies. As they say, "there is no growth in the path of least resistance."
Reply 11
I agree with you to an extent. Last year I didn't have a tutor and I just learnt things myself. Although, this year I think as higher is much more complex, once you really do not understand a topic it is rather hard to pick it up by teaching yourself. Extra guidance is good for helping you learn why you are doing these things and good ways to remember how to solve the problems. Most people who have tutors grades go up significantly, so it is clearly helpful.
I've decided to get a tutor like you all said :smile: I was a bit resistant at first to the idea but I don't think I have much choice now. He's coming over next week so fingers crossed. I'm determined to prove my math teacher wrong now, after he said he didn't know if I was capable of a pass! I'm sorry but how is that in the least bit helpful!? I got a C in the December class test, which last time I checked was a pass so surely only onwards and upwards? He's so negative!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending