The Student Room Group

Regretting A-level choice

So I really liked geography at GCSE and enjoyed revising it. But the AS is an absolute pain. Dull, not enough time in exams, stupid exam questions where I don't have much to say and a lot of useless information to learn. I can't bring myself to revise it and it's too late to change to say history or French.

How do I approach revising a subject I dislike? Any tips for edexcel geography in general?
Reply 1
Are you doing four AS levels? If so, I'd say just drop it. That's what I did, and ended up doing three A-levels. People might say that's going to cause you issues when applying to uni - it isn't. Doing three A-levels doesn't put you at any disadvantaged than doing four. Plus, you have more time to revise your other subject and will more than likely end up getting better grades in your other subjects than you would doing the four subjects. Also, sitting an exam you are likely to fail won't look good on your exam results. It's going to look better to have three good results than four average ones, or even three average grades and a fail. Really, that's what I'd suggest. Good luck :smile:
Original post by Manexopi
So I really liked geography at GCSE and enjoyed revising it. But the AS is an absolute pain. Dull, not enough time in exams, stupid exam questions where I don't have much to say and a lot of useless information to learn. I can't bring myself to revise it and it's too late to change to say history or French.

How do I approach revising a subject I dislike? Any tips for edexcel geography in general?

I do AS Edexcel Geography at the moment, and yeah it's a lot less interesting than it was a GCSE - we did GCSE with AQA.

The course is easy though, just persevere and you'll be fine
Reply 3
Original post by jake4198
I do AS Edexcel Geography at the moment, and yeah it's a lot less interesting than it was a GCSE - we did GCSE with AQA.

The course is easy though, just persevere and you'll be fine

What topics are you doing? The problem I have is the exam questions they're so weird o_o
Reply 4
Original post by bmjordan
Are you doing four AS levels? If so, I'd say just drop it. That's what I did, and ended up doing three A-levels. People might say that's going to cause you issues when applying to uni - it isn't. Doing three A-levels doesn't put you at any disadvantaged than doing four. Plus, you have more time to revise your other subject and will more than likely end up getting better grades in your other subjects than you would doing the four subjects. Also, sitting an exam you are likely to fail won't look good on your exam results. It's going to look better to have three good results than four average ones, or even three average grades and a fail. Really, that's what I'd suggest. Good luck :smile:

Yeah I'm doing AS and thanks but I doubt my school will let me. They wouldn't even let me drop critical thinking as a fifth despite it not being compulsory. The only person whose allowed to do three subjects has some sort of circumstances :/
Reply 5
Yeah I'm doing AS and thanks but I doubt my school will let me. They wouldn't even let me drop critical thinking as a fifth despite it not being compulsory. The only person whose allowed to do three subjects has some sort of circumstances :/

God, that's harsh. Most of my sixth form only did three A-levels, with the rest doing four, no one did five, but everyone got really good results in what they did do. I guess I have no more advice but to speak to a member of staff about the issues you're having. Hope all goes well for you!
What topics are you doing? The problem I have is the exam questions they're so weird o_o

We do World at Risk for physical;
Then we do Going Global for human;

And we're then doing rebranding

So it's all very boring lmao
Reply 7
Original post by jake4198
We do World at Risk for physical;
Then we do Going Global for human;

And we're then doing rebranding

So it's all very boring lmao

Ugh same as well as crowded coasts which is the worst imo. Just found out its meant to be a physical topic but most of what we covered was more human :L

Quick Reply

Latest