The Student Room Group

Cholinergic Urticaria (itch when sweating)

Hi all,

I don't know if you've heard of Cholinergic Urticaria, its basically a prickly unbearable itch when sweating and in heat. I've had it for about 3/4 months now and its stopping me from going to the gym and is generally a pain to deal with.

Can anyone else relate?
Original post by Tempzzz
Hi all,

I don't know if you've heard of Cholinergic Urticaria, its basically a prickly unbearable itch when sweating and in heat. I've had it for about 3/4 months now and its stopping me from going to the gym and is generally a pain to deal with.

Can anyone else relate?

That's a rather specific diagnosis, was this made by a doctor or yourself? That being said, CU is essentially a reaction to sweat and can be related to a sweat allergy. As with any kind of hypersensitivity reaction, the treatment is normally antihistamines (i.e. cetirizine) or immunosuppressives. Further to this, dietary changes can help alleviate symptoms and this includes avoiding highly-spiced foods and alcohol.

On a side note; beta-blockers, such as propranalol, have also been reported to be useful in treating CU.

Hope this information helps.
Reply 2
Original post by loukas2993
That's a rather specific diagnosis, was this made by a doctor or yourself? That being said, CU is essentially a reaction to sweat and can be related to a sweat allergy. As with any kind of hypersensitivity reaction, the treatment is normally antihistamines (i.e. cetirizine) or immunosuppressives. Further to this, dietary changes can help alleviate symptoms and this includes avoiding highly-spiced foods and alcohol.

On a side note; beta-blockers, such as propranalol, have also been reported to be useful in treating CU.

Hope this information helps.

Thanks for the reply, its a self diagnosis the symptoms seem to match what i'm experiencing. Doctor has put me on Cetirizine 10mg three days ago but so far it doesn't seem to be working. Doctor said it's maybe acute urticaria. Such an annoying condition to deal with !

Quick Reply

Latest