The Student Room Group

Masters degree?

I am in year 13 and have firmed Warwick for next year's History BA course. I have just picked up Spanish to also add an extra dimension to my studies, but I am not sure what the best Masters degree would be to do. Ideally I would like it to be more vocational than my bachelor so it could lead into a job, and possibly include Spanish. What would be some good choices? I have contemplated the masters in broadcast journalism and the GdL
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Magnus Taylor
I am in year 13 and have firmed Warwick for next year's History BA course. I have just picked up Spanish to also add an extra dimension to my studies, but I am not sure what the best Masters degree would be to do. Ideally I would like it to be more vocational than my bachelor so it could lead into a job, and possibly include Spanish. What would be some good choices? I have contemplated the masters in broadcast journalism and the GdL

It's really a little early in the process to start thinking about specifics of a Masters. Your understanding of your subject and your interests can be massively changed by your uni course. It could point you in directions you've never considered before. By the time you graduate, you may not want to do a Masters at all and you may instead spot an ideal job to aim for. Few jobs will specify a Masters and it could be that professional experience would be more valuable to your CV.

I'd say it's good to have the idea of a Masters at the back of your mind, but for now, concentrate on A Levels and getting yourself settled in uni for a year. You might have a better idea sometime in your second year. I found that planning for my third year dissertation really crystallised my Masters subject for me.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Klix88
It's really a little early in the process to start thinking about specifics of a Masters. Your understanding of your subject and your interests can be massively changed by your uni course. It could point you in directions you've never considered before. By the time you graduate, you may not want to do a Masters at all and you may instead spot an ideal job to aim for. Few jobs will specify a Masters and it could be that professional experience would be more valuable to your CV.

I'd say it's good to have the idea of a Masters at the back of your mind, but for now, concentrate on A Levels and getting yourself settled in uni for a year. You might have a better idea sometime in your second year. I found that planning for my third year dissertation really crystallised my Masters subject for me.

Thanks for the advice! May I ask what subject you studied?

In addition to Klix very helpful advice, the best masters would be the one your most interested in, not the one your doing for the sake of a job. You obviously seem unsure of what you want to do in the future so my advice is get some experience in. Also at present there is no student finance for a masters degree and there are many options open to History graduates who have some kind of work experience.
Reply 4
Thanks for the advice! May I ask what subject you studied?

My undergrad was archaeology based and my Masters went into a specific corner of archaeology.
MSc Performance Arts
Original post by Klix88
My undergrad was archaeology based and my Masters went into a specific corner of archaeology.

May I ask which aspect of archaeology you're doing for your masters?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending