The Student Room Group

Doctor wrote miscarriage/ectopic but didn't even tell us?

I found out Saturday 17th Jan 2015 i was pregnant after taking 3 tests all to be positive.

I was on the pill that you take everyday with no break so it has been quite a shock to me and my boyfriend.

We went to the doctors on Friday 23rd Jan and said i was having stomach pains like period pains, she did a pregnancy test and it came back positive. She said i need to go to hospital asap to get an early scan done to see how far i am (as i dont have periods at all from the pill)

She gave us a referral letter and it had a paragraph at the bottom saying 'my impression is suspected miscarriage/ectopic pregnancy.

She never once mentioned this the whole time we were there.

Went to the hospital and had a scan done, nothing showed. Internal scan and still nothing, got sent down to blood tests to do an urgent blood sample and was told to wait an hour or so for results.

We got a phone call about 2 hours later saying i was definitely pregnant and they believe i am about 4 weeks.

My HCG level was 291.

I have to go back Tuesday for more blood tests to see if baby is growing ok etc.

My problem is why did the doctor write that? But didn't mention it once, the doctor at the hospital never said anything, the lady who was scanning never said anything and neither did the people who took my bloods?

I have been so distressed and upset i can't stop thinking about it, now my boyfriend is also distressed alongside all the people who knew..

This is my first pregnancy and i have just turned 20. I dont smoke, rarely drink.

Can someone just give me some insite as to why she may have written it but nobody ever mentioned it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

They should have spoken to you about their thoughts, if they thought it was a miscarriage/ectopic, they should tell you. I, unfortunately, have been with a girl who had the same thing happen but the doctors spoke to us about what they thought.

I'd complain to the professional conduct board if I were you.
Reply 2
How do i go about that?

We feel like we are so confused if baby is ok and we have absolutely no idea what is going on

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by emjaylu
How do i go about that?

We feel like we are so confused if baby is ok and we have absolutely no idea what is going on.

I just re-read your OP, don't complain just yet. Wait until Tuesday and find out what they say, I now have the feeling that the first nurse/doctor was wrong which is why no one spoke about it but they should have done nonetheless as it was written down.

My suggestion is on Tuesday, talk to them about it as you need to know sooner rather later if it's ectopic.

For now, try and relax as it won't do you any good long term but most definitely take it up with the hospital that they're not being professional in letting you know the full details that you're entitled to, if you get nowhere on Tuesday.

Could you see a doctor sooner to talk about it?
Reply 4
Well, i work 48 hours a week over 4 days and will be doing 12 hours overtime so wont be off until next Monday.

I am only allowed an hour off on tuesday morning to go to the hospital then go into work.

I' ve only been at my job under 2 weeks so I'm in a bit of a sticky situation....

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by emjaylu

She gave us a referral letter and it had a paragraph at the bottom saying 'my impression is suspected miscarriage/ectopic pregnancy.

What do you mean by referral letter? Was it a letter in an envelope that you were asked to hand in to the A&E department/walk-in clinic?

Ectopic pregnancy is a diagnosis that can take time to confirm and can be in part based on the trend of your blood tests. Because of this, it's only a provisional possibility until the doctors have all the information. Perhaps they didn't want to directly mention this until they have your next blood results.
Reply 6
No, it wasnt in any envelope.

It had the date, all my information and said early pregnancy unit on the top.

It had an explanation from the doctor saying i had taken a test at the appointment and it was positive.

It also said we needed to find out how far i was as i dont have periods and i was being sick after a bad migraine

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by emjaylu
No, it wasnt in any envelope.

It had the date, all my information and said early pregnancy unit on the top.

It had an explanation from the doctor saying i had taken a test at the appointment and it was positive.

It also said we needed to find out how far i was as i dont have periods and i was being sick after a bad migraine

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ok, well, as I said - I would wait until tuesday. I understand that you want to make a good impression at work as you've only been there a little while, but it's important to get the blood tests done.

Realistically, you could be there longer than an hour. I would just make sure that your work knows this in advance.
You could be there much longer than an hour.They will want you to drink bucket loads of water so you have a full bladder as this means they they can get a good view when they ultrasound you. As others have said yours is a very early pregnancy which is why they need to check your hormone levels in a few more days time and re-scan you.Hopefully you will be fine and its just too early to see anything - but your doctor should have explained to you that she was just taking precautions - if your pains get worse,or you get pains in your arms go back to hospital and explain you are in the very early stages of pregnancy and tell them about your doctors referral. Ectopics are still very rare and in the majority of cases they still don't know why they happen. I had an ectopic pregnancy and in my case my tube was so badly damaged it had to be removed - but I still went on to have 2 children the normal way without needing IVF or anything .
Reply 9
They haven't said i need a rescan?

Just bloods, and yes work said come in whenever we are finished.

We will be on urgent bloods again will be seen before everybody else.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Also, on my first scan they said i had to have an empty bladder?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Then I would say that's all looking good for you - ( my ectopic was over 20 yrs ago - modern scans / ultrasounds have obviously improved over the last couple of decades ). I only popped on here as I was after some help on the Waitrose thread and just happened to see your post before I logged off (plus it's pretty good for gaining info ). It is pretty normal to have some twinges when you are pregnant,and also some spotting - sometimes all the way through the pregnancy.
Reply 12
I haven't read any of the other comments but I have an answer for your problem huni.

First of all, please chill out, all will be fine. I know it's easier said than done but it's not good for the baby.

I fell pregnant in Feb 13. I am high risk for ectopic pregnancy due to previous scarring from surgery so as soon as I fell pregnant I went to the doctors and got referred to the early pregnancy unit. They found nothing with an abdominal or vaginal scan. They did the blood tests too, looking for the HCG levels to double in 24 hours, they increased but didn't double. They scanned me again the next few days and still saw nothing. They booked me in for an operation to have anything they find removed, as they believed it may be ectopic. As ectopic pregnancies don't show up until a few weeks along or if the tubes burst - which they don't wait for as it could be fatal.

The following week I went for my operation but they gave me a scan first and they saw something, The gestational sac, showing it was in my uterus, they make me go back 2 weeks later for another scan to get it was all developing normally which showed my beautiful baby growing in the sack.

It sounds to me that your doctor is an idiot, it is perfectly normal to have achey period type pains - these are stretchy growing pains. I had these up to 16 weeks in pregnancy. As long as you're not bleeding red blood it's not a miscarriage. Unless you are having severe sharp pains near one of your hips, one side only I would think possibly ectopic. But it's still normal to get the odd stab pain there, I did. Do look out for shoulder tip pain, as this is referred pain from a burst fallopian tube. But I honestly don't think this is the case here.

I had a high risk for ectopic and I have a beautiful little girl called Isabelle who is now 14 months old. She is the best thing ever. You will be fine hun, it's more likely things will be ok than not.

Please keep me updated!

Good luck xx
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by emjaylu
Also, on my first scan they said i had to have an empty bladder?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Full bladder for abdominal scan
Empty bladder for vaginal scan

At your stage in pregnancy they will do vaginal - they do abdominal form about 9 weeks
Reply 14
Thank you so much everyone i will definitely keep you all updated after Tuesday's blood tests.

I had a ultrasound on my stomach and then she did an internal. She did say i got pregnant from my right ovary (dont know how they could tell?!)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
Original post by Kj2013
Full bladder for abdominal scan
Empty bladder for vaginal scan

At your stage in pregnancy they will do vaginal - they do abdominal form about 9 weeks

Yeah before i went in she said to have an empty bladder and the lady put gel on my stomach and used the machine thing to look and when she didn't see anything she tried internal.

Could this be why nothing showed? I am confused now haha

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
Original post by emjaylu
Yeah before i went in she said to have an empty bladder and the lady put gel on my stomach and used the machine thing to look and when she didn't see anything she tried internal.

Could this be why nothing showed? I am confused now haha

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's just because you're very early like me. You can't see anything before 6 weeks on a vaginal scan, and abdominal is pointless too. Don't panic if you don't see anything Tuesday. It's a horrible time waiting I know, but just think, your case is probably just like mine. It might take another week after Tuesday before they see anything but you will get there, I'm sure everything will be fine x
Reply 17
Yeah it is torture! Thankyou for all of your advice i will let you know how it goes x

Posted from TSR Mobile
So the doctor wrote it before you went for the scan?
It would have been for the information of those at the hospital, as it was only suspected at this time, she wouldn't have mentioned it to you as really, there was little point getting you in a panic until it was confirmed either way... they were waiting to see if it was before telling you... Its very normal for a scan to struggle to pick anything up at such an early stage.

The people at the hospital however, might have thought you had been told... it does sound like a bit of miscommunication... but you could have asked while you were there as you'd seen what was written.

They might have hoped you hadn't read it... if you are pregnant and there are no problems, its best for you not to be stressed.

If you're unhappy with your treatment, you can make a complaint through PALS
I suspect she wrote that because you were in pain; cramping pains like that are often indicative of early miscarriage, and might indicate an ectopic. Miscarriage in the first 12 weeks are surprisingly common (I think estimates are up to about 25% of preganancies) - some people miscarry before they know they are pregnant allegedly. Not sure why the doctor didn't mention it to you - could have said 'I think everything is fine, but there is a chance...blah blah...so want you to have a scan as soon as possible...'

If they did an ultrasound scan at the hospital and found nothing wrong, you should be fine, especially if you are not in any pain. If you develop any worrying symptoms, see your doctor or go to A&E if out of hours, otherwise, try to relax. You could ask about it all when you go back. Hope all goes well.

Quick Reply

Latest