The Student Room Group
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

Chinese/Korean/Japanese Studies at University of Sheffield 2015 entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by KimchiTokki
Ahh I see. I'm currently undergoing an access course and I'll be 21 once the course starts. Nice to meet another person in the same boat as myself.

Original post by Danderlilly
That's Kinda of what i'm doing here although my access course is like first year of Uni here, and no doubt i'll be the oldest because i'll be 24 by the time the course starts.

I'm enrolling in my access course this year and applying to sheffield for 2016. What access courses are you doing?
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
Original post by SEASambassadors
Hi guys!

Congratulations on your offers! I'm a second year Japanese student about to go on my year abroad next year, so feel free to ask any questions. Hope to see you at the open days :smile:

Hanis

How many months exactly do you spend abroad?
Hi guys!

Congratulations on your offers! I'm a second year Japanese student about to go on my year abroad next year, so feel free to ask any questions. Hope to see you at the open days :smile:

Hanis

How does the year abroad process work? How much help does Sheffield give you in preparation for it?

Also, this is just me being nosy but which uni are you going to (or wanting to go to) and why? :P
Original post by Livvyxo
I'm enrolling in my access course this year and applying to sheffield for 2016. What access courses are you doing?

My course is in Scotland so it's a HNC here (Higher National Certificate), equal to first year of university here in Scotland so about similar to a-levels i think (Since most university courses in England are 3 years and all courses in Scotland are 4 years)
Original post by JamesJones777
Anyone applied for Chinese?

Hey, I'm a 3rd year Chinese with Japanese student, so if you have any questions, just let me know :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Livvyxo

I'm doing an access to humanities course, however they combined it with the access to teaching course this year. Within my course we cover English, History, Sociology, Developmental Psychology. We also do personal project and various study skills modules.
So today I finally heard back from UCLAN for Asia Pacific Studies (Korean). Therefor I've officially firmed Korean at Sheffield with UCLAN as insurance.

I have been asked to get 30 Distinctions + 15 merits for Sheffield and 30 Distinctions (and whatever else) for UCLAN.
Original post by KimchiTokki
So today I finally heard back from UCLAN for Asia Pacific Studies (Korean). Therefor I've officially firmed Korean at Sheffield with UCLAN as insurance.

I have been asked to get 30 Distinctions + 15 merits for Sheffield and 30 Distinctions (and whatever else) for UCLAN.

Wow that's great. I'm still waiting to hear from UCLAN. But thats what i'll be doing as well Sheffield Firm and UCLAN Insurance, just an A i need for Sheffield, maybe will need the same for UCLAN :biggrin:.

화이팅 :wink:
Reply 68
Does anyone who's applying for Japanese Studies know what study modules they want to do (or anyone who already takes the course) alongside the language modules? I'm really bad when it comes to decision making so I don't want to be put under pressure when I go to University to pick which ones I want to do. :s-smilie:
Reply 69
Original post by ChloeJM
Does anyone who's applying for Japanese Studies know what study modules they want to do (or anyone who already takes the course) alongside the language modules? I'm really bad when it comes to decision making so I don't want to be put under pressure when I go to University to pick which ones I want to do. :s-smilie:

If it helps, here is the list of all the modules and you can click on them for more detail ^^ http://www-online.shef.ac.uk:3001/pls/live/web_cal.cal3_unit_form?dept_code=EAS&dept_name=East+Asian+Studies&disp_year=14

I'm definitely thinking of taking Japanese History, Japanese Literature, Japanese Popular Culture, Global Governance and Japan. Hopefully Law and Business in China too!

Hi guys!

Hanis

I want to know, when it comes to your study modules, do you have to take them in relation to your specified language or can you take any from SEAS? For example, for now I've only taken an interest in the Japanese related modules since I'm going to be doing Japanese. I would really like to take Law and Business in China though. Would all the Asian modules be available? c:
Reply 70
Original post by xAllyM
If it helps, here is the list of all the modules and you can click on them for more detail ^^ http://www-online.shef.ac.uk:3001/pls/live/web_cal.cal3_unit_form?dept_code=EAS&dept_name=East+Asian+Studies&disp_year=14

I'm definitely thinking of taking Japanese History, Japanese Literature, Japanese Popular Culture, Global Governance and Japan. Hopefully Law and Business in China too!

Thank you, that helps a lot! They all look really interesting! I like the ones you've picked out. :biggrin:
Reply 71
Original post by ChloeJM
Thank you, that helps a lot! They all look really interesting! I like the ones you've picked out. :biggrin:

You're welcome! Have any particular ones caught your eye yet? c:
Original post by super_kawaii
Hey, I'm a 3rd year Chinese with Japanese student, so if you have any questions, just let me know :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm already panicking about it :L Are tones really hard to learn?
Original post by JamesJones777
I'm already panicking about it :L Are tones really hard to learn?

They're not that bad. They can be quite counter intuitive at the start but once you get the hang of it, they're fine :biggrin:
Reply 74
Original post by xAllyM
You're welcome! Have any particular ones caught your eye yet? c:

I really like the look of pop culture and literature, and gender in east Asia :smile: but I still need a good think about it...
Reply 75
Anyone firmed Sheffield yet? I've firmed Sheffield for Japanese Studies and I'm already so nervous 😩

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Haley-
Anyone firmed Sheffield yet? I've firmed Sheffield for Japanese Studies and I'm already so nervous ������

Posted from TSR Mobile

I will be just waiting to hear back form 1 more University before i can. Have you joined the SEAS FB page yet??

Heres the Link:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1529385583987565/
Reply 77
Anyone going to one of the Sheffield open days?
Hi guys! Sorry for the late response but exam period just ended so... (phew)

Original post by Livvyxo
How many months exactly do you spend abroad?

We spend a full academic year there (9 months) :smile:

Original post by Ice Dragon
How does the year abroad process work? How much help does Sheffield give you in preparation for it?

Also, this is just me being nosy but which uni are you going to (or wanting to go to) and why? :P

Where you go basically depends on your first year results (not just your language modules, but all modules you take), and you get to choose whether you want to be in Tokyo or outside of Tokyo. Based on those two factors and your financial needs, the two year abroad coordinators will sort you out into unis and you'll get an email with your allocation. So the higher the result, the better uni you'll go to, etc. You get to tell them where you'd prefer to go and why, but ultimately it's up to them to place you there! You do get assistance from student finance and when it comes to applying to the uni you're allocated to, the department makes it really easy because they email you all the documents you need to fill in weeks before your application is due, and you get an appointment with a lecturer where they'll make sure you're on track and check all your documents before you send them to the uni.

I'm going to Kyoto University because I thought Tokyo would be too expensive and I wanted a mix of city life and the country side. I've also never been to Kyoto and it's a city so rich in culture and history so how could I not? :biggrin: It's also really easy to travel to other parts of Japan from there.

Original post by xAllyM

I want to know, when it comes to your study modules, do you have to take them in relation to your specified language or can you take any from SEAS? For example, for now I've only taken an interest in the Japanese related modules since I'm going to be doing Japanese. I would really like to take Law and Business in China though. Would all the Asian modules be available? c:

There's a requirement for each year that you have to fulfil. In my first year, we had to take at least two modules from: 1. Japanese History 2. Japanese Politics 3. Japanese Literature 4. Japan's Economy and Management, and the other two can be unrestricted modules (my friend took philosophy). Law and Business in China is a level 3 module and will be available after your year abroad, when you're in your third year. Or you can opt to take it in your second year before you leave for Japan. In my second year, we have requirements again and I wanted to take all Japan-related modules, but we have to take at least one non-Japan module, so I took an East Asian module instead.

As long as you have 120 credits per year and it's balanced in both Spring and Autumn (60:60 or 50:70 or 70:50), and fulfil the module requirements, you should be able to take whatever you want! :smile:

Hanis
Reply 79
Thank you for the response, Hanis! It's very clear now :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending