The Student Room Group

Runner's knee...what do you do about it?

I started running/jogging, perhaps 2 months ago, for an hour every other day and apparently I've hurt my knee. It burns so much every morning/after a period of inactivity. While I know I should probably rest it, I really don't want to stop running :frown:. Has this happened to anyone here and what have you done about it?
Reply 1
Original post by Decorpi12
I started running/jogging, perhaps 2 months ago, for an hour every other day and apparently I've hurt my knee. It burns so much every morning/after a period of inactivity. While I know I should probably rest it, I really don't want to stop running :frown:. Has this happened to anyone here and what have you done about it?

Been jogging the old knee until it burns have ya? :hubba:

I suggest penicillin.
Reply 2
Original post by M1011
Been jogging the old knee until it burns have ya? :hubba:

I suggest penicillin.

It's brand new actually. :tongue: Plus there's no bacterial infection to prescribe antibiotics!
Reply 3
Original post by Decorpi12

I had this (called itb syndrome) and went down the physio route for a bit. I was advised to get a foam roller and I followed stretches I found on youtube "itb foam roller stretches". If you incorporate that into your post-run stretches it should help hugely. It definitely does for me! (painful though!)
Have you seen a orthopedic doctor I'm sure they will help
+ If you had fluid behind your knee, it could explode. Stop running now!
Reply 6
Original post by 1901
I had this (called itb syndrome) and went down the physio route for a bit. I was advised to get a foam roller and I followed stretches I found on youtube "itb foam roller stretches". If you incorporate that into your post-run stretches it should help hugely. It definitely does for me! (painful though!)

Thank you! I'll try to follow your advice. I really don't want to stop running. Plus it doesn't hurt that much; it just wakes me up in the morning but then it goes away mostly.
Reply 7
Original post by Andrew657Thomas
+ If you had fluid behind your knee, it could explode. Stop running now!

There's no fluid. I'll have it checked, though. :smile: I was just wondering if people had to stop running completely after this sort of thing happened and what they did about it.
I've had two injuries involving knee pain - runners knee and ITB injury

for runners knee (pain in kneecap) you want to strengthen your quads, give your knee a week or two off and then build back up to your old distance gradually, icing + doing quad strengtheners after every run - examples of exercises include squats+lunges (only once you're pain free as they can be tough on your knees) and sit down with your knees at 90' and your feet on the floor and lift the affected leg so it runs parallel to the floor, hold for 10 seconds, lower and repeat

for your ITB (pain likely to be on the outside and sharp) you want to foam roll the crap out of your ITB (along the outside of your thigh) and strengthen your weak muscles, for me this was my hip flexors, so for hip flexors lay in a straight line on your side then lift your leg at the hip as high as you can and lower (keep it straight) and repeat, you can also do small pumps and circles when your leg is raised

generally I would stop running until I was sure I was pain free, then restart taking a few weeks to build back up and stopping if I had any pain at all

Quick Reply

Latest