The Student Room Group

Southampton BM5 2015 Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Neostigmine
They're still doing the BM5 Grad interview day as we've had an email recruiting students to help during the day :yes:. I am not sure why some have been invited to the earlier date. it may be that there is space on that day or that there isn't space on the right interview date and so they've had to move people around.

I can try to find out but I am not sure how easy this info will be to get!

Hi, just wondering if you'd had any luck! Have all grad interviews gone out?
Original post by Grad1202

Hope not :frown: what was your UKCAT?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by you-only-live-once
Thank you for your help :smile: Any advice how I should prepare for both the panel and group interview? :smile:

The group interview you can't prepare for until the day and they give to time to do so.

The panel interview - write a list of what you want them to know about you before you leave and use standard medicine questions to practice answering.
Read your PS.
Read up on the university
Know why you applied to medicine and this course at this uni

Original post by Grad1202

The grad interview day is still going ahead as far as I know. Still haven't heard back on why there are a few on a different date but don't read into too much :nah:.
The group interview you can't prepare for until the day and they give to time to do so.

The panel interview - write a list of what you want them to know about you before you leave and use standard medicine questions to practice answering.
Read your PS.
Read up on the university
Know why you applied to medicine and this course at this uni

Thanks for your advice! On the web it says candidates should 'respect NHS values', what does that mean? Would they focus a lot on NHS structure/changes etc?
Anyone know when they start giving out offers?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi, my interview is coming up and i am trying to decide what to wear? (I am a girl) Are people wearing suit jacket, shirt, skirt etc, or is a smart dress on its own okay? The email says 'formal' but I am not sure what they mean by that!

Thanks!
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Tilds1997
Anyone know when they start giving out offers?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Probably not until interviews are over. March/April last year.

Original post by rachel479
Hi, my interview is coming up and i am trying to decide what to wear? (I am a girl) Are people wearing suit jacket, shirt, skirt etc, or is a smart dress on its own okay? The email says 'formal' but I am not sure what they mean by that!

Thanks!

Smart dress is fine :smile: Suit jacket is okay but not required by a long shot. :nah:
Probably not until interviews are over. March/April last year.

Smart dress is fine :smile: Suit jacket is okay but not required by a long shot. :nah:

Thanks so much. Also, would you advise against dangly earrings?

Not directed to me but I would. I don't think you'd wear that to a hospital and it distracts them from your face. You want them to be interested in what you say rather than how you looked.
Original post by QuidditchFan
Not directed to me but I would. I don't think you'd wear that to a hospital and it distracts them from your face. You want them to be interested in what you say rather than how you looked.

That's true, thank you :smile:

It's up to you. You want to be confident but if they're over the top they could be distracting. One way to think about it is to dress as if you're on a ward. It helps if they can picture you as a doctor! That said, dangly earrings are not likely to change on offer to a rejection.
It's up to you. You want to be confident but if they're over the top they could be distracting. One way to think about it is to dress as if you're on a ward. It helps if they can picture you as a doctor! That said, dangly earrings are not likely to change on offer to a rejection.

Hi, sorry irrelevant question, but would you be able to tell me more about the electives? Do you get to do it abroad or is there a specific hospital that you go to?
Hi, sorry irrelevant question, but would you be able to tell me more about the electives? Do you get to do it abroad or is there a specific hospital that you go to?

You can do it anywhere in the world (as long as it isn't dangerous) and as long as a doctor will supervise you in some way.

You have to pass all your placements though as if you don't your elective will become "directed" and you'll have to do placements in the areas you failed. This is rare.
You can do it anywhere in the world (as long as it isn't dangerous) and as long as a doctor will supervise you in some way.

You have to pass all your placements though as if you don't your elective will become "directed" and you'll have to do placements in the areas you failed. This is rare.

Hey.
Where did you do your elective if you don't mind me asking.
Thanks
Anybody else have their group task at 12:20 tomorrow?
Am attending the selection day tomorrow!!! :smile: am a bit nervous as southampton is my first choice! good luck to everyone :biggrin: x
Can anyone give me the pros and cons of studying medicine in Southampton? :smile: also what options are there for the SSC?

what is the SSC?! :smile:
Original post by lilyrose11712
Am attending the selection day tomorrow!!! :smile: am a bit nervous as southampton is my first choice! good luck to everyone :biggrin: x

Same here, good luck tomorrow. What time is your group task?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Type(n)
Hey.
Where did you do your elective if you don't mind me asking.
Thanks

Mine is this year though I'm the last year to do it then. It's moved to final year.

Mine is in Audiovestibular Medicine across the south coast with some time in Great Ormond Street with the cochlear implant team.
I have friends off to Australia and Tanzania! Some choose to stay purely local.

Original post by Joshi213
Can someone just confirm this about the course please:

Years 1 & 2 are standard, really early patient contact and SSCs (Are the SSCs as varied as they are at other unis, so for example could I carry on a language? It doesn't really specify anything other than medical related SSCs on the prospectus...)

Year 3 you do a bachelor's which is equivalent to the intercalated degree you'd do at another uni right? But at Southampton you can also increase this to a master's if your grades have been good enough so far which would add another year on too, yeah? When you're doing the bachelor's, do you also have lectures etc?

Years 4 & 5 (or 5 & 6 if you did the master's) are purely placements

Thanks!

I've posted a huge post about SSUs above somewhere (we call them student selected units).You can do a language in 3rd year, but in year 1 and 2 the SSUs each semester are on certain themes so you can't do one unit over 2 years.

Year 3 you do a BMedSci for 4-5 months and then start clinical placement. You can either take this onto a masters or go elsewhere and get a BSc. Both require a year out. You will have lectures during your placements but these are different to years one and two. They're called "Evidence Based Medicine" lectures and bring together all aspects of a condition in one big lecture, compared to year 1 and 2 where each leccture focuses on one aspect.

Yep year 4 and 5 is placements. A few lectures will probably form part of those plaecments but it is primarily clinical.

(This is the new structure. I am on the old one but I have kept up to date on the changes)

Original post by lilyrose11712
what is the SSC?! :smile:

We call them SSUs actually at Southampton. They're student selected units. You choose a topic within a framework (I've listed them somewhere) and then one afternoon a week for a few weeks a semester you do that activity instead of purely medicine
Can I just confirm that Southampton is a non-PBL uni? They don't mention it on their website so I assume they don't do it...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending