The Student Room Group

Other routes into physiotherapy?

Hi everyone, I'm trying to get to uni to study physiotherapy but unfortunately am not having much luck at the moment as keep getting rejections! Does anyone know if there are other routes available? I know with midwifery it's possible to do adult nursing for the first year and then branch off into midwifery, is this the same for physio? If not, does anyone know if clearing usually has places for occupational therapy?
Why do they keep rejecting you? Lack of work experience or not good enough grades? How about doing an access course? That's what I'm doing at the moment. I think some unis do foundation years of physio, try that. I don't think any health care courses go into clearing

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Thank you for your message. I don't actually know why I'm getting rejected, I'm doing the access course and am predicted distinctions for all my subjects and have secured 2 work experiences in hospitals. So with foundation I'd do that and then the three years on top? Sorry I don't know anything about foundation degrees, but that sounds like a plan!
- Work experience is fundamental.
- Your grades might be the problem.
- Retake some exams, if necessary, or do another course as the above user suggested.
- Try getting a job as a physiotherapy assistant.
- What universities did you apply to, and with what grades?
- Places are limited in clearing, but it all depends on whether other students met their offers or not, so you could get lucky.
- It could be your personal statement.
- Ask universities for feedback on your application to why they rejected you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oh I see. You should ask the universities why they rejected you. Where did you apply?
I'm predicted distinctions for all my courses as well. I sent my ucas just before Xmas and have not heard back from any of the unis. I apply to Hallam, mmu, Cardiff, York and leeds. I didn't have any work experience in hospital settings but I'm PE instructor and personal trainer so I have worked with physios. Good thing is I havent been rejected yet.. I'm so nervous. wish I heard back from them soon

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
My grades should be ok as have been predicted distinctions and have so far obtained these. I will try and get a job as an assistant that sounds like a good idea. I've applied to UWE, Bournemouth, Cardiff, Plymouth. So far UWE and Bournemouth have rejected me. My personal statement was checked by my college quite a few times so I'll be gutted if it's that. I'll ask for feedback from the uni's. I can't seem to find any foundation degrees just for physio but I'll keep looking. Thank you :-)
Reply 6
Good luck maisievaan, hope you hear from the uni's you've applied to soon, exciting :-)
You've got two more unis to hear back from. I hope things go well for you. I know Hallam used to do foundation years but not anymore. I've not really looked into that so sorry can't help anymore

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Aw thank you :-) that's ok you've been really helpful thank you
Let me know what happens with the other two unis :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
How is it going? Heard back from other unis? I've only heard back from Cardiff, got an interview next week. Wish they would get back to me soon! With positive news of course 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by greenhilz19
Hi everyone, I'm trying to get to uni to study physiotherapy but unfortunately am not having much luck at the moment as keep getting rejections! Does anyone know if there are other routes available? I know with midwifery it's possible to do adult nursing for the first year and then branch off into midwifery, is this the same for physio? If not, does anyone know if clearing usually has places for occupational therapy?

The bold part isn't correct. You have to complete your adult nursing course then you can study the 18 month shortened midwifery course if you're lucky enough to get a place on it, again there is a lot of competition. Slightly off topic, but I wanted to clear this up :smile:

OP, like midwifery, physiotherapy is a very popular course with a fair bit of competition to get places on. As others have suggested, ask for feedback as to why you've been rejected by the places that have, get as much experiences as you can, the more there is on your application the more seriously they will take you as it shows you're keen. Going to open days and speaking to university staff may also help as you can find out what they're looking for in applicants. Good luck :smile:
hi, could you please tell me where and what access course you are doing for physio? :smile:
Thankyou!
Original post by Zoe Carroll
hi, could you please tell me where and what access course you are doing for physio? :smile:
Thankyou!

I'm doing a science access course at Sheffield college. I think unis only accept either science or health science access diploma and not sport etc. Are you thinking of doing an access course? Did you apply for physio this year?

Posted from TSR Mobile
The other way in would be to do a relevant degree such as sports science or biology and then apply for the 18 month Physio Msc course, though be warned that competition for places on that is even more fierce than the Bsc from what I have been told.

Ask for feedback as to why you are getting rejected and then work on those things. Your experience sounds fine, so must be something you are doing at interview or in personal statements.
They are very precise with how they want to personal statement written. You have to explain all the knowledge you have about the profession and what you gained from your work experience. I know this because last year I got 5 rejections and this year I've got no rejections!
How did you go about setting out your personal statement?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending