The Student Room Group

is media a level hard !!!

please help me I want to know whos done media a level and is it really hard because im scared know please do tell me thankyou :frown::frown::frown:
Reply 1
Moved to Media :smile:
Which exam board?
Not sure if the exams are hard but I do know that for one exam board (not sure which one) you have to make a film which I imagine is quite a lot of work if you want to do well in it :smile:
Its just rubbish
It depends on which exam board, my exam board (OCR) is pretty simplistic
All depends on the exam board (mine was AQA), and the coursework is a lot of work- unfortunately, its not just as simple as making a film you have to do all the evaluations and intentions alongside. The exam is pretty straightforward if you are good at revising terms and there's a lot of theories etc etc.
Reply 7

Original post by emily32311
All depends on the exam board (mine was AQA), and the coursework is a lot of work- unfortunately, its not just as simple as making a film you have to do all the evaluations and intentions alongside. The exam is pretty straightforward if you are good at revising terms and there's a lot of theories etc etc.

How do you create your evaluation for media?
To be honest I think that Media is one of the easiest A-Levels, most of the course is common knowledge for the first AS year and the A2 Year is also mainly common knowledge for the most part and then theories. I think that Media is only difficult if you aren't willing to put the effort in. :smile:
Original post by SophiePotter
To be honest I think that Media is one of the easiest A-Levels, most of the course is common knowledge for the first AS year and the A2 Year is also mainly common knowledge for the most part and then theories. I think that Media is only difficult if you aren't willing to put the effort in. :smile:

*giant arrow pointing to me as an example*

I keep messing my film upp! Just had a haircut forgetting that I haven't fully finished it! Oh the horror, such an idiotic move. :P

Posted from TSR Mobile
It all depends on your exam board like everyone has said, my exam board is AQA and I’m about to finish my AS level, I disagree that it’s easy, you have to be able to balance the coursework on top of your other subjects for the first half of the year, and it’s not all about the production work, for me I found that for most of it I was mainly working on my pre-production work which ended up being about 25 pages.
The first half of the exam is all about being able to analyse certain media products e.g. a trailer magazine cover, webpage and say how something represented, how it effects the audience, and why would the institution do this?
For the second half of the exam you have to make a case study on your chosen media related topic and then answer a question about it, the problem I had found with this was trying to find a topic which would fit around any possible question. I went with “how female pop artists promote their music” by doing this I’m able to write about how they represent themselves in things such as their music video’s, how an audience would react to certain forms of promotion e.g. The Wrecking Ball music video, and why their institution would choose this form of promotion for each particular artist.
I did the AQA, its very DEMANDING and fun. If your late handing in your work well-your done for! Although if you do well in your film c and above, your going to pass it. The exam I ran out of time twice. I managed to get a C twice.
Media studies at Alevel definitely wasn't what i was expecting! If you dont like english i wouldnt advise taking it - in the exam you are likely to write over 15 pages (if you want a good grade). The production part of making a film wasnt only time consuming but also quite hard! ((Sorry if i've completely discouraged u)) - However grade boundaries are usually very low & exam is 50% on basic knowledge to be honest :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
In order to rate these subjects on whether they are soft or hardyou have to have studied them yourself! You can't make a true judgement on how hard something is by basing it purely of what you have herd. I've taken Sociology, Psychology and Media, so I can make a reliable judgement. Psychology is a subject where it is virtually impossible to do minimal revision and pass. There are many statistics and case studies to remember that you have to know inside and out. Generally speaking the content is not too difficult too get your head around, sometimes anaylsis is tricky and A Level content gets a lot harder to make sense off. I'd say It's a mix of Philopshy and Biology. I'd say it's middle/hard 100%, depends on the person. Sociology, there is a hell of a lot of essay writing, you will have burns on your hands by the end of the paper. There is quite a few statisics, names and dates to remeber like in history, geography and Psychology; however, you won't get penalised as much for not including a date if you cannot remember or striaght fact as long as you demonstrate a well articulated undertsanding. In Sociology, the way you structure essays has to be very specific to get decent marks, and linking subjects together for a strange question can be difficult. There are people in my class who take English Lit, the pure sciences, maths, they do better in those subjects than they do in the Sociology exams. The content is okay to understand, however there is hell of a lot of concepts to remember. For this reason I'd rate it medium/hard. Media, is weird the essays are very subjective and for that reason it's hard to get your head around whats wrong and what's right. You have to be anaylitical to formulate a 30 mark essay on one poster. The coursework stressed me quite a bit, took a lot of time. But in terms of undertsanding I feel like it's fine, some theories are difficult to apply though sometimes and it's hard having to formulate an 30 mark essay on a music video, or poster you have never seen before as it's not immediatley obvious what to write about. Hence, I'd say soft/medium, although i have found it stressful at points.
We do WJEC, the coursework is A LOT of work.. especially compared to Year 11. There are 2 exams as well. There is a lot of content that needs to be covered. ie, there are two different components and each component covers at least 6/7 different aspects to media as well as different theories and terms to remember . It can be difficult , but if you work hard, you will be fine :smile: PMS are always open if you need any help :smile:.x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending