The Student Room Group

Roommate uses loads of electricity?! Please help

My boyfriend and I live in a flat with two roommates, a guy (friend of mine) and a girl. Because we're all students, and only one of us, the girl, has a job, we obviously want to have as little expenditure regarding bills as possible. My boyfriend and roommates get a college grant (we're living in Ireland), but my boyfriend gets very little compared to them, what he gets monthly covers only his rent. I'm on a different grant where I do get more, so I cover my rent and all our bills, food etc. My friend gets a very large grant, and also money from his mother regularly, and our other roommate has a part time job and a grant, although i'm unsure how much she gets. We've been living in the apartment since early September, and before we moved in we had agreed to certain things like making out a chores list, and my roommate (lets call her Ann) said she would shower at the college gym to avoid using a lot of electricity. At this stage, I didn't know she showered every day, which she does. My boyfriend asked her to shower here less, and she said she would but never actually did. Our electricity bill comes in every two months, and we've only received two bills so far. The first bill was completely reasonable, but the second was quite a lot more. All the utilities are taken out of my account, so when I get the bill I text the others. I text them saying that it was so much more, and that they needed to cut down on usage in the future. My boyfriend and I are very good with using appliances etc, we shower every second day, or every third, and we only use the washing machine after 6pm, when cost is way cheaper. We've told the others this many times, but Ann still showers first thing in the morning and uses the washing machine when she wants, like right now. The only thing my boyfriend and I use in excess would be the machine, but that's because there's two of us and we never use it before 6pm. Ann also recently had a friend of hers live with us for over two weeks, who showered daily too and used the machine regularly.
Our other roommate who is my friend showers rarely almost, and also rarely uses the washer, and he's good at unplugging things when he's not using them. I think it's unfair that we should be paying as much as her when we're conscious of cost and she's not. We can't discuss it with my friend, however, because whenever we've brought up a problem regarding Ann in the past he just instantly defends her. I'm not saying he should hate her or anything, but she has done some stupid stuff and he just makes excuses for her all the time. He can afford to pay the extra costs, but my boyfriend and I are saving up for the summer for rent, when he won't be getting a grant and I'll be getting way less, and the internet bill will be twice as much then it is now.

She was also staying at the apartment over Christmas holidays. She 's from the city where we live, and only went home for Christmas eve and day. My boyfriend and I came back on the 28th before going to his family's home for a few days, and there was a de-humidifier on in the kitchen, the washing machine on, and loads of appliances turned on while she was at work - and bills were costing twice as much as usual over the Christmas period. (Ireland sucks sometimes) This, and her friend staying with us for such a long period of time, really is going to make the bill be so much more than it should be. I told her to be more careful when the last bill came in, and she said she would be, but clearly hasn't.

I don't really know how to explain to her that she should pay more? It's not like she doesn't know she's being unfair, we've said it to her so many times. Is maybe lying about how much the bill is the only way?

Sorry for the excess information, but it's a problem that's been around since September, and there's so many problems we've had with her! She's the reason my boyfriend and I don't want to live with roommates after our lease is up
Reply 1
I personally don't understand how one can NOT shower every day, that's called basic hygiene. The other things though...

Just tell her everything you've written here. That you're trying to save money, but she's using a lot of electricity so it's only fair that she pays more etc.
the shower thing is ridiculous... showering everyday is perfectly normal and I'd be furious if my roommate told me I wasn't allowed to shower

I think you need to sit down with her and have a calm discussion and find some COMPROMISES... if I was her I'd be ignoring everything you say about the electricity because you're being so over the top about some things so try and be more friendly and accept that sometimes she is going to do X because it's more convenient (e.g. she needs some laundry and will be out in the evening) but try and get an agreement that she will pay more to compensate for spending more time in the flat and having someone to stay
Original post by 1993_
My boyfriend and I live in a flat with two roommates, a guy (friend of mine) and a girl. Because we're all students, and only one of us, the girl, has a job, we obviously want to have as little expenditure regarding bills as possible. My boyfriend and roommates get a college grant (we're living in Ireland), but my boyfriend gets very little compared to them, what he gets monthly covers only his rent. I'm on a different grant where I do get more, so I cover my rent and all our bills, food etc. My friend gets a very large grant, and also money from his mother regularly, and our other roommate has a part time job and a grant, although i'm unsure how much she gets. We've been living in the apartment since early September, and before we moved in we had agreed to certain things like making out a chores list, and my roommate (lets call her Ann) said she would shower at the college gym to avoid using a lot of electricity. At this stage, I didn't know she showered every day, which she does. My boyfriend asked her to shower here less, and she said she would but never actually did. Our electricity bill comes in every two months, and we've only received two bills so far. The first bill was completely reasonable, but the second was quite a lot more. All the utilities are taken out of my account, so when I get the bill I text the others. I text them saying that it was so much more, and that they needed to cut down on usage in the future. My boyfriend and I are very good with using appliances etc, we shower every second day, or every third, and we only use the washing machine after 6pm, when cost is way cheaper. We've told the others this many times, but Ann still showers first thing in the morning and uses the washing machine when she wants, like right now. The only thing my boyfriend and I use in excess would be the machine, but that's because there's two of us and we never use it before 6pm. Ann also recently had a friend of hers live with us for over two weeks, who showered daily too and used the machine regularly.
Our other roommate who is my friend showers rarely almost, and also rarely uses the washer, and he's good at unplugging things when he's not using them. I think it's unfair that we should be paying as much as her when we're conscious of cost and she's not. We can't discuss it with my friend, however, because whenever we've brought up a problem regarding Ann in the past he just instantly defends her. I'm not saying he should hate her or anything, but she has done some stupid stuff and he just makes excuses for her all the time. He can afford to pay the extra costs, but my boyfriend and I are saving up for the summer for rent, when he won't be getting a grant and I'll be getting way less, and the internet bill will be twice as much then it is now.

She was also staying at the apartment over Christmas holidays. She 's from the city where we live, and only went home for Christmas eve and day. My boyfriend and I came back on the 28th before going to his family's home for a few days, and there was a de-humidifier on in the kitchen, the washing machine on, and loads of appliances turned on while she was at work - and bills were costing twice as much as usual over the Christmas period. (Ireland sucks sometimes) This, and her friend staying with us for such a long period of time, really is going to make the bill be so much more than it should be. I told her to be more careful when the last bill came in, and she said she would be, but clearly hasn't.

I don't really know how to explain to her that she should pay more? It's not like she doesn't know she's being unfair, we've said it to her so many times. Is maybe lying about how much the bill is the only way?

Sorry for the excess information, but it's a problem that's been around since September, and there's so many problems we've had with her! She's the reason my boyfriend and I don't want to live with roommates after our lease is up

You can't expect someone to not shower every day or not use the washing machine at certain times. That is far to over the top. Leaving the lights on constantly or showering for an hour maybe yes.
Reply 4
If you actually look at the power ratings of the appliances you will find that most electricity will be used on heating ( a 3kw fire uses 3kw per hour at say 11p each kwh) Other things that use power are lower rated but on all the time (Freezer/Fridge) Whilst an electric shower may draw a high current and may be be say 7.5kw( on its own circuit), it will not run that long, a 10 minute shower rated 7.5kw uses circa 1.25 kwh which is maybe 14p.

Electric ovens can also use a fair bit, washing machines not so great and tumble dryers are like burning cash.

If you spend the time looking up the power ratings you can work out where the kwh are being used.
I have similar issues and it's so annoying! My housemate has the hearing on for hours every single day. Even when it's not that cold. He has the washing machine on twice a day and he washes like few clothes at a time. He cooks two meals a day and leaves the lights on. It's driving me mad. I've told him not to have the heating on all the time and all but he is not listening. We have to pay twice as much now than we did in autumn. Don't know what to do. And he keeps complaining about is to the landlord and we've done nothing. He always leaves dirty dishes everywhere. Arrgghhhhh he's doing my head in!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
A lot of what you said was to do with the showering aspect. How can one of your room mates rarely shower? They must smell like **** after 3 days of not showering. Everyone should shower daily and I really can't see why you guys shower every other day and in my view that's a bit unfair on Ann whom you claim should pay a higher percentage of the bills. Ann said she would shower at the gym, but come on be realistic, she won't shower there everyday. If she's having more than one shower a day at your place then fair enough tell her to have one and keep it less than 10 minutes.

I'm leaning towards your side for the washing machine bit, but the shower bit is blown way out of proportion and she's done nothing wrong.
It was a bit foolish of her to leave all the appliances running while at work and I agree she shouldn't have done that. How would you even split the bill when it comes through. You don't exactly know how much she's consumed in electricity, water etc.
Original post by maisievaan
I have similar issues and it's so annoying! My housemate has the hearing on for hours every single day. Even when it's not that cold. He has the washing machine on twice a day and he washes like few clothes at a time. He cooks two meals a day and leaves the lights on. It's driving me mad. I've told him not to have the heating on all the time and all but he is not listening. We have to pay twice as much now than we did in autumn. Don't know what to do. And he keeps complaining about is to the landlord and we've done nothing. He always leaves dirty dishes everywhere. Arrgghhhhh he's doing my head in!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

what have his complaints been about?

how have you approached the heating/washing etc issues? politely? I'd suggest a house meeting and you all try and agree on some groundrules which are COMPROMISES, e.g. having a full load of laundry and turning the lights off and you let go about the heating/cooking
Reply 8
oh my god, same issue! it is basically as if you're describing my roommate! but a PLUS she sings at weird times! now the issue here is that communication has been made, meeting has been made, but the behavior doesn't change, that's what make me furious
Original post by maisievaan

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending