The Student Room Group

Southampton BM5 2015 Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Original post by LittleDonkey
On the health questionnaire, so you need to say Yes or No to EEPs??

Posted from TSR Mobile

I wasn't sure so I said no thinking that it meant do you currently perform EEPs?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm not 100% sure but I think you need to have the degree before you're allowed to do EEPs so I put No

Posted from TSR Mobile
[QUOTE="_lilly_;54373629"]

I'm not 100% sure but I think you need to have the degree before you're allowed to do EEPs so I put No

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks! I was thinking to put Yes, then in the comments box, Medical Student, and let them work out the details. Haha.

Posted from TSR Mobile
[QUOTE="LittleDonkey;54373819"]
Original post by _lilly_

Thanks! I was thinking to put Yes, then in the comments box, Medical Student, and let them work out the details. Haha.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Just googled it and got this: http://www.medschools.ac.uk/Students/howtoapply/publications/Pages/BBV.aspx

So maybe we should put yes?

Posted from TSR Mobile
[QUOTE="_lilly_;54374021"]

I'm sure they'll work it out, it says on the app Med Student, and contact us if it's wrong.

Oh and just noticed they're EPPs! Hehe.

Posted from TSR Mobile
The EPP thing doesn't really matter. It comes up every year, no one knows what to put and then it makes no difference.

OH will go through your form anyway when you go to see them in October. :yes:. Don't worry!

And don't go out and pay for vaccinations. They'll test you and top you up on any you're missing and it has always been free :smile:
slightly confused about which accommodation to choose...has anyone completed the application for it? whats the difference between ensuite cat 1 and cat 2?

(edited 9 years ago)
When do you start applying for accommodation?
Original post by medactuary
When do you start applying for accommodation?

Whenever. Before the deadline to make sure you're in with the best chance of getting you first choice but it isnt first come first serve .
I have offers from both King's and Southampton. I am completely torn since these have been my top unis since forever. I live within the tube map but I really want to move out. My parents really want me to go to King's (convenience, over protectiveness, could stay at home later in the course etc.) but when I visited Soton I fell in love.

I did my research on Soton for my interview but I don't know how to pitch it to my parents. Any help? Why choose Southampton over any other uni? I'm tearing my hair out!

Thanks so much in advance!
Original post by naykaykay
I have offers from both King's and Southampton. I am completely torn since these have been my top unis since forever. I live within the tube map but I really want to move out. My parents really want me to go to King's (convenience, over protectiveness, could stay at home later in the course etc.) but when I visited Soton I fell in love.

I did my research on Soton for my interview but I don't know how to pitch it to my parents. Any help? Why choose Southampton over any other uni? I'm tearing my hair out!

If southampton is your top choice and its where you want to go you should definitely go - I'm sure your parents will be happy for you whatever you choose, and you are going to be there for the next five years so you don't want to make the choice for other people!

Maybe have a look at how the courses compare and make some pros and cons about both places, and also if you look on the uni rankings for medicine southampton ranks so much higher than kings - it doesn't actually matter but in terms of persuading your parents then possibly worth mentioning?

Southampton is just a short train ride away from london anyway, it's not like you'd be up in Newcastle. See if you can go and visit the campus again, and maybe bring your parents along?

They're both great unis but as a graduate who started at one uni where I didn't get a good feeling about, I then moved to another and loved it - don't regret it at all but I wasn't making the choice for me in the first place and ended up really unhappy

You still have plenty of time to make your mind up but its an important decision so make sure you're happy with what you choose, I'm sure you'd be happy at either uni though as they're both great. Congratulations on your offers!

OMG!!! I am in the exact same position!!! I'm also stuck between King's and Southampton!!! I used to live outside London and I love it!! So I always thought that if I got a place there then I would go... But then I got an offer from Southampton first, so it got me thinking... I took the pros and cons of both schools and did a comparison (these points are things I personally considered but you may find more...
Pros of King's: In London, 20th for Medicine in the world (QS ranking), well known and has a really good reputation when it comes to research! Loads of job opportunities for students!
Cons of King's: In London-> super expensive and it would mean having to pay back an extra £2000/year in maintenance loans and it would mean the types of flats I would live in would be in not so nice areas nor would they be very nice to live in.
Pros of Soton: 93rd for Medicine in the world (QS), integrated course-> loads of clinical exposure (which personally is more interesting), it's a really nice city (ranked 4th best in the UK.. on an article I read somewhere.. I don't remember which one...), the campus is amazing! and living there will be considerably cheaper and it won't be as difficult to find a nice place to live at a reasonable price, going out with friends will be much cheaper!
Cons of Soton: Its is smaller than London which can mean there may be less things to do on the weekends (but then again its not far from London or other cities like Brighton for a day out).

At the moment I'm much more inclined to go to Southampton... But once again these are all personal choices... For example for you another con/pro for Soton would be living away from parents (so having to pay back a maintenance loan or not..) Good luck in choosing!! I hope this helps! :biggrin: x
is it possible to defer entry after receiving an offer for 2015?
Original post by longname
is it possible to defer entry after receiving an offer for 2015?

You can ask but the university is not obligated to say yes.
Original post by Neostigmine
Whenever. Before the deadline to make sure you're in with the best chance of getting you first choice but it isnt first come first serve .

:redface: when is the deadline?
Original post by ceciafb
If southampton is your top choice and its where you want to go you should definitely go - I'm sure your parents will be happy for you whatever you choose, and you are going to be there for the next five years so you don't want to make the choice for other people!

Maybe have a look at how the courses compare and make some pros and cons about both places, and also if you look on the uni rankings for medicine southampton ranks so much higher than kings - it doesn't actually matter but in terms of persuading your parents then possibly worth mentioning?

Southampton is just a short train ride away from london anyway, it's not like you'd be up in Newcastle. See if you can go and visit the campus again, and maybe bring your parents along?

They're both great unis but as a graduate who started at one uni where I didn't get a good feeling about, I then moved to another and loved it - don't regret it at all but I wasn't making the choice for me in the first place and ended up really unhappy

You still have plenty of time to make your mind up but its an important decision so make sure you're happy with what you choose, I'm sure you'd be happy at either uni though as they're both great. Congratulations on your offers!

Thanks for your response! It's driving me up the wall trying to decide. I was just wondering which rankings you were referring to? My parents seem to be obsessed with getting me to decide asap when i have about a month to confirm. I really don't want to rush this. I feel a little pressured and I don't want to make a choice I'll regret so thank you for giving some clarity!
Original post by dana.low
OMG!!! I am in the exact same position!!! I'm also stuck between King's and Southampton!!! I used to live outside London and I love it!! So I always thought that if I got a place there then I would go... But then I got an offer from Southampton first, so it got me thinking... I took the pros and cons of both schools and did a comparison (these points are things I personally considered but you may find more...
Pros of King's: In London, 20th for Medicine in the world (QS ranking), well known and has a really good reputation when it comes to research! Loads of job opportunities for students!
Cons of King's: In London-> super expensive and it would mean having to pay back an extra £2000/year in maintenance loans and it would mean the types of flats I would live in would be in not so nice areas nor would they be very nice to live in.
Pros of Soton: 93rd for Medicine in the world (QS), integrated course-> loads of clinical exposure (which personally is more interesting), it's a really nice city (ranked 4th best in the UK.. on an article I read somewhere.. I don't remember which one...), the campus is amazing! and living there will be considerably cheaper and it won't be as difficult to find a nice place to live at a reasonable price, going out with friends will be much cheaper!
Cons of Soton: Its is smaller than London which can mean there may be less things to do on the weekends (but then again its not far from London or other cities like Brighton for a day out).

At the moment I'm much more inclined to go to Southampton... But once again these are all personal choices... For example for you another con/pro for Soton would be living away from parents (so having to pay back a maintenance loan or not..) Good luck in choosing!! I hope this helps! :biggrin: x

Hi5 pal! I really hate this situation. My priority at the moment is to move out. As much as I love London it's expensive as hell. And Southampton is a really really great campus albeit a little quieter. It feels the more I think about it, the harder it gets to decide! Thank you for helping me out with the pros and cons! Haven't come to a decision but a step closer nonetheless. Good luck with your choice too!
Hi5 pal! I really hate this situation. My priority at the moment is to move out. As much as I love London it's expensive as hell. And Southampton is a really really great campus albeit a little quieter. It feels the more I think about it, the harder it gets to decide! Thank you for helping me out with the pros and cons! Haven't come to a decision but a step closer nonetheless. Good luck with your choice too!

I know exactly what you mean!!! Let me know what you decide!!! You never know, we might be together next year!! :biggrin: x
Thanks for your response! It's driving me up the wall trying to decide. I was just wondering which rankings you were referring to? My parents seem to be obsessed with getting me to decide asap when i have about a month to confirm. I really don't want to rush this. I feel a little pressured and I don't want to make a choice I'll regret so thank you for giving some clarity!

http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings?s=medicine - these rankings. As I said previously it really doesn't matter about uni rankings for medicine, just if you're trying to be persuasive there are some figures to back it up!

I can completely understand, I felt quite pressured at 18 - big choices to make. Obviously I don't know your parents or circumstances but I'm sure they will understand that its your decision - when I later spoke to my parents they had no idea they'd put so much pressure on me!
Reply 719
I'm a grad applicant and I've just firmed Southampton bm5 :smile: any other grads doing this. I did my undergrad in Southampton so I'm already living here and definitely not going into halls again, but for all those trying to decide I reccomend glen eyre! It's one of the biggest halls so all your friends will pretty much be 1 minute away from you and it's much greener than Wessex lane which is really nice for freshers (there's BBQ areas you can hire out) and for summer

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending