The Student Room Group
Winter time, University of Kent
University of Kent
Canterbury
Visit website

University of Kent Firmers 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by pvcnt
It's just Bsc Psychology. How about you?

I haven't firmed any uni yet but I got my offer for Bsc Psychology with studies in Europe. I'm stuck between Glasgow and Kent :/
Winter time, University of Kent
University of Kent
Canterbury
Visit website
Original post by pvcnt
Well then i hope to see you at Kent in September but both are good unis :smile: What do you think are the pros/cons for each?

Haha I hope to sew you too! We'll have the same Psychology classes I think?
Honestly for Glasgow there's just so many rumours about it not being safe and everything but the West end seems pretty safe considering safety is an issue in any big city and as for the course there I love the modules but for Kent the psychology modules seem a little too general but with Kent I'll be learning a language. Canterbury is a small place and Glasgow is huge, I like me some peace and countryside sometimes but I have always lived in a city. I'm just super confused. What was your insurance?
Original post by ixTec
Firmed for Computer Science, anyone else taking it?

I just firmed for Computer Science too! :colondollar: Fingers crossed we will meet in not so long.
Reply 103
Original post by Spike Keizer
I just firmed for Computer Science too! :colondollar: Fingers crossed we will meet in not so long.

Finally! Was hoping another person would be taking it. What accommodation have you applied for / will you be applying for?
Received an unconditional offer for Economics a while back but have not yet firmed it since I am waiting for two unis to give their answer. Relatively sure that I will firm Kent tho.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by ixTec
Finally! Was hoping another person would be taking it. What accommodation have you applied for / will you be applying for?

I just applied a few hourse ago.

1) Turing college - standard room
2) Turing college - large ensuite room
3) Keynes college - ensuite room
4) Parkwood houses - 6 bedroom house

What about you?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 106
I just applied a few hourse ago.

1) Turing college - standard room
2) Turing college - large ensuite room
3) Keynes college - ensuite room
4) Parkwood houses - 6 bedroom house

I applied for Turing college (house) as my first and parkwood as my second. Did you get a chance to look round the Turing college ones? I don't really know what to expect
Original post by ixTec
I applied for Turing college (house) as my first and parkwood as my second. Did you get a chance to look round the Turing college ones? I don't really know what to expect

No I only got a chance to look at elliot and Rushford or whatever its called. Although there are some good pics of the Turing building posted around the student room. It looks by FAR the nicest. At least for a relatively low price, there is of course the flats that were 220/week :tongue:
Reply 108
No I only got a chance to look at elliot and Rushford or whatever its called. Although there are some good pics of the Turing building posted around the student room. It looks by FAR the nicest. At least for a relatively low price, there is of course the flats that were 220/week :tongue:

Yeah I've seen them but none from an actual students perspective (from what I'm aware though, the pictures are just of the flats?).

They're shared bathrooms with another person right? (two to each bathroom)
Original post by ixTec
Yeah I've seen them but none from an actual students perspective (from what I'm aware though, the pictures are just of the flats?).

They're shared bathrooms with another person right? (two to each bathroom)

From what I have heard the turning buildings are either just done or still under construction, therefore no one has stayed in them yet. So the only pictures we will be able to see (as the first year group getting access to them) will be the ones on the site.

And yes for the standard rooms (non ensuite) in the Turing college there is a bathroom between every two rooms, so you share a bathroom with 1 other person. The other two options are both ensuite, one being large and the other extra large. Not quite sure what the difference is between large and extra large, seeing as large already has a double bed and from the pictures looks more than big enough. I guess if you REALLY want that extra floor space then it might be worth the extra £10/week.
Reply 110
From what I have heard the turning buildings are either just done or still under construction, therefore no one has stayed in them yet. So the only pictures we will be able to see (as the first year group getting access to them) will be the ones on the site.

And yes for the standard rooms (non ensuite) in the Turing college there is a bathroom between every two rooms, so you share a bathroom with 1 other person. The other two options are both ensuite, one being large and the other extra large. Not quite sure what the difference is between large and extra large, seeing as large already has a double bed and from the pictures looks more than big enough. I guess if you REALLY want that extra floor space then it might be worth the extra £10/week.

Hmm alright, well thanks anyway man(I'm guessing?). Hope to see you there in September!
Reply 111
I'm a 3rd Year Medical Student starting Kent next year for primary care management!
Anyone else??
Reply 112
Original post by SK82
Firmed Kent for Management in Primary Care (social sciences). I'm a bit of an anomaly, I'm a 3rd year medical student coming to do one year in Kent, so still an undergrad. Now to figure out accommodation..!

Same ! You're the first one I have found coming from a med school lol. I feel like a fresher again ha
Hi firmers I'm a first year drama and English Literature student; if anyone has any questions about uni life at kent or either one of the subjects I do feel free to ask.
Original post by EllieC130
Hi firmers I'm a first year drama and English Literature student; if anyone has any questions about uni life at kent or either one of the subjects I do feel free to ask.

I want to know all the things about the course. Since I firmed for the same one.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by EllieC130

Are the lecturers good?
Is the course interesting?
What is life like at kent generally?
Is it really expensive to live in Canterbury?
Are Kent lenient on results day?

I'm thinking of firming English Lit and creative writing :smile:

Thanks
Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey there ! im a deferred entry student (confirmed) for forensic science i was wondering about living on campus, since i am an international (EU actually student) if one of my friends comes to visit me can he/she stay at my place (for a couple of nights) ? or like it is considered as overcrowding for safety reasons etc..?
Original post by yourgirlbribri
I want to know all the things about the course. Since I firmed for the same one.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ok, first off, with drama you don't get to pick your modules; you get assigned two. The Empty Space is the practical module. Basically, you go focus on one aspect of performance every two weeks, one to do some exercises revolving around the aspect, one to present a group performance based on whatever you did the previous week. The aspects ranged from stuff like characterisation which was kind of Stanislavski based exercises to Music which looked at music as both a background thing and a central thing, like the use of voice, singing and such. You have one two hour seminar a week in this module. It's assessed with a 10 minute performance at the end of Autumn term, a theatrical manifesto and a 20 minute public performance. Modern Theatre is theory based module; Autumn term is looking at the basic practitioners e.g. Stanislavski, Brecht, Grotowski cumulating with a 1500 word exam (mine was due in November; yours probably will be too). Then in Spring term you look more at performance styles like performance art and site specific performance. This leads up to a 2500 word essay. Then you do a group presentation on any topic you've done during the year in summer term. You have one lecture every two weeks and one seminar. Honestly, make the most of The Empty Space because you'll probably find there are a lot of big characters in there; I'm not saying you HAVE to stick out but don't be daunted by them because I did that and now I'm pretty sure I'm class weirdo. As for Modern Theatre, concentrate in the lectures because that's where you'll get the bulk of your information from. Seminars are more just a way of getting different perspective on how to approach the topics. Personally, I wasn't fond of this module aside from a few of the lecture topics BUT I have been told it's literally the most boring module you'll have to do and it's really just laying the foundations out for the rest of the course. You need to know it.

I can only really talk about two of the English modules but you actually have four on offer. Romanticism is the only one you have to do and honestly, for me it's hit or miss. Subject matter is kind of self explanatory so I'll just go over some tips. LEARN TO READ THE CRITICAL READING; I know that sounds obvious but you will have days when it makes you cry and want to hurl the book across the room. I'm serious. I find I have to reread things about three times. However, keep at it because I didn't and now I still don't get it and don't do the reading. You really want to make sure you do the reading, especially in this module because otherwise you will be so lost in the seminars. I managed to bull**** my way through a few times but it's better if you just doing. Besides the critical reading, you'll usually be given a few poems or a book to read though the latter is less common for obvious reasons. You have one two hour seminar a week in this and get assessed by four essays (500 words, 750 words, 1000 words, 2000 words) and a two hour exam but it's not as bad as you might think. The seminars are more use than the lectures; again, lectures are hit or miss. Some are crap and offer very little and some are extremely useful. I will recommend using a laptop in these because a lot of lecturers put next to nothing on their powerpoints so you have to be listening closely and writing quickly to get anything of value. The other module I took was Early Drama and I can't recommend it any less. I really hate it. Most of the content is plays with religious content so if that's your cup of tea, fair enough. But I really couldn't stand it. You'll get one lecture and one seminar each week in this one and it's assessed by two 1000 word essays (a slightly more creative one and close reading), a 2500 word research essay and a project comprising of a 500 word proposal, a 2000 word essay and a 10-20 minute presentation depending on how big your group is. The latter, which I'm doing now, is probably the best bit of the module because you have so much freedom on what you present. For example, I'm doing a character study and how Eve (Adam and Eve) and Mary are represented within the texts and then creating two monologues looking at their characters from a more modern standpoint. I can talk a little bit about 20th century; the content is extremely varied and a lot of it is American literature. I have a friend who does it and adores it. It's assessed via three 500 word essays and one 2500 word one. I seriously regret not taking it. I'm afraid I don't know anything about Writing America except that their essay due dates seem to be SLIGHTLY later than the other modules.

Hope this helped; sorry if all the info is a bit overwhelming and if you have anymore questions don't hesitate to ask.
Original post by kostasxantho
Hey there ! im a deferred entry student (confirmed) for forensic science i was wondering about living on campus, since i am an international (EU actually student) if one of my friends comes to visit me can he/she stay at my place (for a couple of nights) ? or like it is considered as overcrowding for safety reasons etc..?

It's not really a problem. Coincidently I've just had two friends to stay for a few days. The only thing you should be aware of is that if you wanted to take them in to the uni club you'd have to get there before 11 (I think) to sign them in.
Original post by Hollywooddreamer
Are the lecturers good?
Is the course interesting?
What is life like at kent generally?
Is it really expensive to live in Canterbury?
Are Kent lenient on results day?

I'm thinking of firming English Lit and creative writing :smile:

Thanks
Posted from TSR Mobile

Ok I'm going to focus on English in regards to lectures. Your first question is kind of varied; some lecturers are good, some are average, some are just boring as hell. Also, it'll depend on what you see as a good lecturer. For example, there's a guy who puts next to nothing on his powerpoints and expects you to just be able to get write down everything he's saying. He annoys the hell out of me. But then there's this over guy who gives his lectures in quite an informal way which is good because they're at 9am and I feel like I'd fall asleep if his lectures weren't so interesting. They're great content wise too. I hate to be a lazy bitch but I put my thoughts on my course as a whole a couple of posts back so I'd recommend you looked there. I wrote a long paragraph on English.

Life at Kent is very much what you make it; you have so many opportunities. There's a lot of societies; I swear you could find something you're interested in and you should because their socials are awesome (admittedly I've only been to a few but some of the societies are just so damn friendly). Unfortunately I'm a bit of a cautionary tale as I've only wound up really being involved in one society this year and not as much as I would have liked so I say if you can, join a few and really commit to them. The one I do the most in is the RAG (raise and give) society; essentially they organise various charity events for various courses. This ranges from raids which are essentially just collecting money in town, to evening events like the charity Take Me Out in the uni club (The Venue), to trips to China if you can raise a certain amount for charity. From what I've heard, being part of a sport is a lot of fun because you get the opportunity to enter tournaments and their socials are always mad because they go through periods where they can't drink or go out because they're currently in a tournament. But apparently it really pays off; I did happen to go to the Lacrosse one and it was badass. They had a barbeque, a games area, a beer pong room. This is without all the booze available of course XD. It was a whole lot of fun.

On that topic, the nightlife at Kent and in Canterbury is REALLY good. There are a lot of pubs, clubs and bars to go to. Kent's main club is Venue but there's also Mungos, Origins, Kbar (all just more chilled out bars that do various events during the week; I've been told Ruby Tuesday, a night where they play more indie music, at Origins is brilliant) and Woody's (more of a pub; it's awesome but be wary on nights that sport is being played XD). Unfortunately I, again, kind of screwed up so I haven't been to many places in town. I've been to Cuban, which is a club which, shockingly, has a kind of Cuban feel; it's good for a club but I'm personally not a big club person. I've also recently been to The Pound which is more of a bar. It's built off of an old castle ruin and it looks really cool; they have an awesome cocktail menu but I'm yet to try any. I've also heard good things about The Ballroom (bar that sometimes has live music and an open mic night every Wednesday) and Club Chemistry (a club with three floors, each playing a different genre of music; the night it is depends on how many are open however). With that being said, there are still plenty more pub and bars to look into.

There's a lot of support available a Kent; you get an academic advisor who you can talk to if you're having problem on your course. As far as I know, each school (that the subjects are divided into) has a student support place where you can discuss more emotional matters like stress and such. There's also a career office with different advisors for different schools. I've actually gotten help from them before; they're incredibly helpful.

Generally accommodation in Canterbury isn't extortionate but the sooner you can find a place, the less expensive it's likely to be. On average, it's likely to be a few hundred more than wherever you stay in first year but it's worth it because you have a proper house with a garden and living room. I have a friend who got really lucky with her house next year because she was so early but don't threat if you're still looking in January. I was and my house for next year is pretty good. Around February is when you should start panicking a bit.

I would say it depends on the amount of applicants and your personal statement and such but as far as this year is concerned, I got incredibly lucky in how lenient Kent were. My offer was AAB but only the day I only got BCC. Don't get me wrong; try and do the absolute best you can but if you're only a grade or two down I reckon they'd let you in. 5 down (i.e. me) is pushing it a bit. Hope this information hasn't overwhelmed you too much. I realise it's a lot to take in.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending