The Student Room Group

I want to build an athletic body like this

Im 5ft 8 and weigh about 73-74 Kg
I've lost about 22.5 Kg since September without going to the gym but just by walking.
My body now looks like this

I've just joined the gym.
I need advice cause I don't know how to build that type of body,diet food,how often to do cardio ,and do weights or weight machines etc.

Any advice will be gratefully appreciated

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
That type of body is easy to attain.

Read the sticky first and foremost to find out the basics.

With good nutrition and a mix of cardio and weight training, that type of body is fairly easy to obtain. It's pretty much just low fat.
Reply 2
Wow man, 22.5 kg since September is some really awesome work. As long as you maintain caloric deficit you will be heading towards that body you want.

The specifics of how much cardio to do and what sets of weights to do are small optimisations compared to maintaining a caloric deficit. My advice would be to figure out the amount of calories you burn in a day (there are many calculators online to estimate this).

Once you know this value, invest in some precision food weighing scales and just count calories each day, making sure you end up below the value calculated earlier, which will equate to weight loss. It will be tedious weighing out food at first but it was the same for me and it changed my life.

Good luck and keep it up!
Reply 3
Start by reading the FAQ. You're going to want to loose more weight whilst lifting. Once you can kind of tell where your abs are you can think about if you want to gain more muscle or keep loosing fat
The weightlifting part of this website is frankly dire

Once you get past the initial circlejerk of fat power lifters telling to never do cardio, that visible abs are for “prettyboy fags” and that you should be chugging a gallon of Mark Rippetoe’s semen milk every day

You’ll get hit with the smug condescension of “read the sticky n00b”

Nobody told these aspies the galdem care more about aesthetics than they care about how much you can squat for one pathetic rep :facepalm2:

And that’s where the radical one comes in :cool: :cool: :cool:

4 day cycle 10 reps for each set No. Rest. Days.

1. Push day

Bench press, skull crushers, flies, military press etc

2. Pull day

Curls, pull ups, rows etc

3. Leg day

Squats, deadlifts, calf raises etc

4. Cardio + abs day

Go for a run/bike ride/swimming, crunches and buy an ab wheel yaddayaddayadda

Nutrition:

You don’t need to run a calorie surplus, eat a clean high protein diet, buy some tuna, cottage cheese, eggs, oats etc

Give up alcohol completely not just for giving up calories, if it wasn’t entrenched as a part of Western culture, it would almost certainly be a banned drug

Final points:

Restrict your rest periods to no more than 2 minutes between sets, do the full range of motion for each rep, strict form, find a gym buddy (if you really want to... :curious:) and don’t grow a neckbeard - stubble or clean shaven, those are your facial hair choices.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by yo radical one

Once you get past the initial circlejerk of fat power lifters telling to never do cardio, that visible abs are for “prettyboy fags” and that you should be chugging a gallon of Mark Rippetoe’s semen milk every day

lmao love this
Nobody told these aspies the galdem care more about aesthetics than they care about how much you can squat for one pathetic rep :facepalm2:

Lol, girls always ask me how much I 1RM squat. :frown:
Reply 7
i just began light body building for the first time and am a complete novice. can someone please suggest a type of protein shake that should fit my needs- in terms of protein %, whey, flavour etc? i really have no idea thanks
Reply 8
Original post by chumshot
i just began light body building for the first time and am a complete novice. can someone please suggest a type of protein shake that should fit my needs- in terms of protein %, whey, flavour etc? i really have no idea thanks

If you can get enough protein from food then don't get a protein shake! If however you struggle to get a somewhat decent protein intake then just get basic whey protein from myprotein (it's usually a good reasonable price)!

Remember supplements are ONLY to SUPPLEMENT your diet.
Original post by 061194

Im 5ft 8 and weigh about 73-74 Kg
I've lost about 22.5 Kg since September without going to the gym but just by walking.
My body now looks like this

I've just joined the gym.
I need advice cause I don't know how to build that type of body,diet food,how often to do cardio ,and do weights or weight machines etc.

Any advice will be gratefully appreciated

DUDE. Mad respect for losing 22.5kg! That is mighty impressive.

Since you haven't lifted before, you will be able to gain muscle while losing weight and look more athletic.

I would just lift twice a week.

Just squat/deadlift, bench press/military press, do rows/pull downs all for 3-4 sets of 6-8 reps (maybe only 3 sets of 5 for deadlift and learn technique for it first) progressing the weight as you get stronger, then follow with an ab exercise like reverse crunches for 3 set of 10 reps and bicep curls/tricep pushdowns for 3 sets of 10 once or twice a week, and get out of there. An hour twice a week along with your walking would be perfect. Keep your diet the same as it is working, just make sure you're getting at least 100g of protein, ideally a little more, but no need for 200g like others may suggest. 150g is probably the sweetspot where 99.9% gains will be made without being too much of a burden.

Original post by oneocean
That type of body is easy to attain.

Read the sticky first and foremost to find out the basics.

With good nutrition and a mix of cardio and weight training, that type of body is fairly easy to obtain. It's pretty much just low fat.

I wouldn't say 'easily' attainable otherwise 90% would look like that, but only 5% do. Low fat is not only not necessary, but not ideal. Just lower carbs AND fat, but you have already lost weight so your diet should be OK. Fats too low (<50g) will mess you up.
Reply 10
Lots of cardio combined with some resistance training.

Simple
that's not too difficult. You'l look like that after half a year to a year of srs lifting (depending on your starting point). His body fat isn't very low he's got perfect lighting for that pic. You won't need to do a massive amount of cardio tbh.
Lift weight, do some cardio

Read the FAQ

That's a good a starting point as any

@150g of protein

You don't need that to make gainz, I make as good gainz as any on 80-120g per day
Original post by Angry cucumber
Lift weight, do some cardio

Read the FAQ

That's a good a starting point as any

@150g of protein

You don't need that to make gainz, I make as good gainz as any on 80-120g per day

Lol I can't believe I was labouring to get 200g protein 3 years ago when even 150g would be more than enough.

OCD prevents me from being content with 120g even though it's probably enough. These days at uni when canteen food choices aren't macro friendly still freak me out as i don't do protein shakes. Means I have to go back and get some extra chicken in a pan haha.
Original post by a10
If you can get enough protein from food then don't get a protein shake! If however you struggle to get a somewhat decent protein intake then just get basic whey protein from myprotein (it's usually a good reasonable price)!

Remember supplements are ONLY to SUPPLEMENT your diet.

thanks a lot. i appreciate that it is only a supplement. is it hard to drink at first? I just feel like I won't like the taste and texture of it- never tried it before and am a bit nervous to order 1kg of it straight off. does anyone know where I could try some first?

You’ll get hit with the smug condescension of “read the sticky n00b”

And that’s where the radical one comes in :cool: :cool: :cool:

4 day cycle 10 reps for each set No. Rest. Days.

1. Push day

Bench press, skull crushers, flies, military press etc

2. Pull day

Curls, pull ups, rows etc

3. Leg day

Squats, deadlifts, calf raises etc

4. Cardio + abs day

Go for a run/bike ride/swimming, crunches and buy an ab wheel yaddayaddayadda

Nutrition:

You don’t need to run a calorie surplus, eat a clean high protein diet, buy some tuna, cottage cheese, eggs, oats etc

Give up alcohol completely not just for giving up calories, if it wasn’t entrenched as a part of Western culture, it would almost certainly be a banned drug

Final points:

Restrict your rest periods to no more than 2 minutes between sets, do the full range of motion for each rep, strict form, find a gym buddy (if you really want to... :curious:) and don’t grow a neckbeard - stubble or clean shaven, those are your facial hair choices.

P.S. Don’t get pulled into any of that nofap nonsense it has literally no benefits and anyone who takes part in it is a probable homosexual

LMFAO where have you been :rofl:

Funniest and truest thing I've read in the fitness forum in ages.

Angry cucumber take note
Original post by Schrödingers Cat

Angry cucumber take note

My genius is wasted on them, I am the heretic, the Galileo of weight lifting to Pope Cucumber :cool:
My genius is wasted on them, I am the heretic, the Galileo of weight lifting to Pope Cucumber :cool:

We know how it's done :cool:
Original post by Schrödingers Cat

Angry cucumber take note

Of?

Soz I'm King Kong, to your koala
Original post by Angry cucumber

Soz I'm King Kong, to your koala

King Kong fell from the top and you will too.

Quick Reply

Latest