The Student Room Group
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter

English with Study in North America at Exeter

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by anoushkaar
yep I know someone who did it a few years ago. I think basically because there are 8 unis in NA for the second year, and only a few of them have more than one student going from Exeter.. I didn't realise this either when I'd applied!

I went to the open day last summer and the lady at the English booth in the subjects hall said it varies from year to year but the maximum they can take is around 15-20 but it varies year to year depending on how many students want to go to exeter because it's an exchange.
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter
Reply 41
Original post by Elelea
I still haven't heard anything (applied in October). I'm assuming that means they've offered all their places and are waiting for people to firm/reject before they decide whether to give the rest of us places or reject us. That or they're being really cruel in taking this long to reject people.

So I called today because I'm in the same boat as you but they said they hadn't offered all their places yet. And I asked for a date in which they are most likely to have made a decision by and he said maybe as late as late April. :-/
Reply 42
Original post by niveous
So I called today because I'm in the same boat as you but they said they hadn't offered all their places yet. And I asked for a date in which they are most likely to have made a decision by and he said maybe as late as late April. :-/

That's good news as you still have a chance. I got rejected yesterday so you're still in consideration which is good!
Reply 43
Original post by Elelea
That's good news as you still have a chance. I got rejected yesterday so you're still in consideration which is good!

Ah, I'm really sorry to hear that. That's most probably my fate too. Have you considered asking to switch to the normal English course at Exeter? I'm sure they'd let you- if you are really keen on going to Exeter, that is.
Reply 44
Original post by niveous
Ah, I'm really sorry to hear that. That's most probably my fate too. Have you considered asking to switch to the normal English course at Exeter? I'm sure they'd let you- if you are really keen on going to Exeter, that is.

Thank you! I'm predicted A*AA I just don't think I showed enough passion for American lit in my personal statement/other studies (like an EPQ or something). At the open day, the professor said you need to show a real passion for American lit and I limited it to a small section of my personal statement so I think that was my downfall.

I applied for straight English actually as well as English with NA because I knew there were so few places and I loved exeter/the course so much. So I've firmed Exeter just not for straight a English.
Reply 45
Original post by Elelea
Thank you! I'm predicted A*AA I just don't think I showed enough passion for American lit in my personal statement/other studies (like an EPQ or something). At the open day, the professor said you need to show a real passion for American lit and I limited it to a small section of my personal statement so I think that was my downfall.

I applied for straight English actually as well as English with NA because I knew there were so few places and I loved exeter/the course so much. So I've firmed Exeter just not for straight a English.

Oh, that's awesome! Congrats on your predicted grades and all- pretty much any course apart from this one would be an easy acceptance for you. Oh man I don't even remember my personal statement- it was so long ago. Oh well, better to have tried than not, right! I'm really obsessed with Exeter too, but if I don't get in I'll just sulk and move on aha.

I'm sure you'll have fun at Exeter regardless.
Original post by Elelea

I'm going to firm Exeter - very happy with this English course with study in North America. As for American Literature... The university knows that every personal statement cannot be tailored to shoehorn in about American Literature. I did my personal statement just for straight English but applied for this course as a long shot. Including American Literature in your personal statement may help, but I don't think it's necessary - as I didn't, and got an offer for A*BB ... :smile:
I still haven't got my reply for this course yet, so it isn't looking likely! I just think it is terrible that they have left people this long and think they are a complete shambles for doing so. I and others have gave them one of their choices and they didn't even give us time to go to an applicant day, it infuriates me. It is nice to see some people have got offers and hope you do well on the course!
Original post by certifiedpoo
I still haven't got my reply for this course yet, so it isn't looking likely! I just think it is terrible that they have left people this long and think they are a complete shambles for doing so. I and others have gave them one of their choices and they didn't even give us time to go to an applicant day, it infuriates me. It is nice to see some people have got offers and hope you do well on the course!

I completely agree, I'm really not happy with them right now. Hopefully you'll get a response soon. Have you considered calling them? I had a friend who was also waiting for ages for a response (different course/uni though) and called and found out they had lost her application...
Hi - me again :smile: although I do have an offer, I was a bit gutted about not going on the applicant visit day as when I got my offer - IT WAS THE LAST DAY! Nevertheless I called them up and have arranged a private tour and emailed the head of humanities and head of English. In response, it will be like an applicant visit day but just for me. They said accommodation , sit in on a lecture , it's all good. So the Easter holiday is pretty much the whole of April, so best to arrange in May. The lady I spoke to said she was deeply sorry about the mess, but Exeter have seen a lot of applicants this year - especially for English...
Reply 50
I agree they way they handled it was awful. They obviously want the best applicants so I understand the emails I received saying they'd wait until after the deadline to start making decisions but that was nearly 3 months ago and some of you still haven't got replies which just isn't cool. I'd understand if they had a special offer holder day just for this course later on but they don't.
Original post by Elelea
I agree they way they handled it was awful. They obviously want the best applicants so I understand the emails I received saying they'd wait until after the deadline to start making decisions but that was nearly 3 months ago and some of you still haven't got replies which just isn't cool. I'd understand if they had a special offer holder day just for this course later on but they don't.

I agree Elelea, I think it would be the least they could do to have a special offer holder day, as it's completely wrong to leave us without an opportunity to visit. I just want them to reply now, so I can make my decisions as to what to do about university!
Original post by HuggleyDuck
I completely agree, I'm really not happy with them right now. Hopefully you'll get a response soon. Have you considered calling them? I had a friend who was also waiting for ages for a response (different course/uni though) and called and found out they had lost her application...

Oh god that is terrifying! Well I have emailed them about a month ago and said what I already knew, and on the 1st of April I emailed them again, however, they haven't replied to that yet. I'll give it another week and if they haven't replied to my email I'll ring them.
Reply 53
I agree Elelea, I think it would be the least they could do to have a special offer holder day, as it's completely wrong to leave us without an opportunity to visit. I just want them to reply now, so I can make my decisions as to what to do about university!

Also the longer they leave it, the deeper they're getting into the exam period and I'm sure that kind of added stress is not what anybody needs.
Reply 54
I'm really annoyed right now. Exeter won't reply and because of that I can't firm or insure a place at any other Uni until I know. Honestly, I'm going to have the ****tiest accommodation wherever I go now because Exeter will reply probably on the 7th of May 11:59pm and reject me and everywhere will we be like "sorry first come first serve" :s-smilie:
Original post by niveous
I'm really annoyed right now. Exeter won't reply and because of that I can't firm or insure a place at any other Uni until I know. Honestly, I'm going to have the ****tiest accommodation wherever I go now because Exeter will reply probably on the 7th of May 11:59pm and reject me and everywhere will we be like "sorry first come first serve" :s-smilie:

Honestly I am in the exact same boat and it is so upsetting as we have no power. And this journey is going to be pointless if we get rejected. I just think this course is so great, unfortunately the university can't back this up. What other universities are you going to go for if you don't get in? For example, the University of East Anglia doesn't do it first come first serve, they get all applicants for accommodation and then make their decision at the end of May.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 56
Honestly I am in the exact same boat and it is so upsetting as we have no power. And this journey is going to be pointless if we get rejected. I just think this course is so great, unfortunately the university can't back this up. What other universities are you going to go for if you don't get in? For example, the University of East Anglia doesn't do it first come first serve, they get all applicants for accommodation and then make their decision at the end of May.

Nottingham's probably going to be my firm if Exeter's not, which unfortunately has a first come first serve system. I applied and got into East Anglia as well- I'm glad to hear it doesn't function in the same way. How about you?

By the way, if they rejected you for Study in North America but they offered you a place on the straight English BA course instead, would you consider firming it? And do you think they would do this?
Reply 57
Okay aha, so I got an email from Exeter today basically rejecting me for the North America course but offering me a place on the single honours. Maybe I'll see you guys and Elelea there... :-)
Original post by JordanT9000
Hi - me again :smile: although I do have an offer, I was a bit gutted about not going on the applicant visit day as when I got my offer - IT WAS THE LAST DAY! Nevertheless I called them up and have arranged a private tour and emailed the head of humanities and head of English. In response, it will be like an applicant visit day but just for me. They said accommodation , sit in on a lecture , it's all good. So the Easter holiday is pretty much the whole of April, so best to arrange in May. The lady I spoke to said she was deeply sorry about the mess, but Exeter have seen a lot of applicants this year - especially for English...

Hey - which day are you going... maybe I'll join in on you?
Friday 15th May :smile: have to drive down there with my Mum as the train is like £140 from where I live in East Sussex, so car weirdly works out cheaper. Also going to get a premier inn / hotel or something to explore the area as it really does sound nice. I have a friend from my sixth form starting the same time 2 , which kind of sweetens the deal (she took a year out to travel )

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending