The Student Room Group

Cambridge Offer Holders 2015 thread

Scroll to see replies

Pure on that paper is rather easy, but the applied questions are just scary
Original post by L'Evil Fish
We can all worry! Only yesterday I thought ****, I'm not even in Cambridge... Still actually need to get the grades

Has anyone got a step paper I can have a look at?

Look at the OP of my difficult problems thread to get all those resources

Original post by physicsmaths
Whats your offer? A*A*AA? Pembroke engineering right?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah well remembered, and A*A*A*A, but already have one A*.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Elcor
Look at the OP of my difficult problems thread to get all those resources

Yeah well remembered, and A*A*A*A, but already have one A*.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yh i know a good friend of mine doing pembroke engineering currently first year. He went to my school.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by newblood
Pure on that paper is rather easy, but the applied questions are just scary

Yh one of the pure questions had very poor marks like an very low avaerage yet i did it in 10 minutes was shocking. It just looked scary.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Says I can't open file...

On my new phone though, maybe I need something
Christ's AT probably doesnt know, as it is rare for people to apply having done STEP, but it is not an official qualification so you don't need to declare STEP results if you don't want to. Pretty sure its mentioned somewhere on the STEP website, but ive heard it from countless people nonetheless.

I think I'd rather a student follows what an AT says, after all they are the people who ultimately adjudicate your application at Cambridge.

Also note here http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2128149&p=39636312#post39636312

Goodbloke (a 9 gem PS helper) says "You have to declare it, and to make a declaration that you have declared everything."
Original post by jneill
I think I'd rather a student follows what an AT says, after all they are the people who ultimately adjudicate your application at Cambridge.

Also note here http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2128149&p=39636312#post39636312

Goodbloke (a 9 gem PS helper) says "You have to declare it, and to make a declaration that you have declared everything."

While these people are normally very reputable, unless theyre a maths expert it is reasonable for them not to wholly know about the workings of STEP. Have a look at the second page of that thread, there is a quote from the Cambridge Mathematics Department.

FarhanHanif is a 3rd year cambridge student:

"had similar questions to what you have right now back when I started sixth form. I decided to take STEP I and I achieved a grade 1 in the lower sixth. I was told directly that you do not have to declare any STEP results by the head admissions tutor for mathematics at Cambridge so don't worry too much about that."

He refers to Stephen Siklos, who until recently had everything to do with STEP

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1523197
Original post by physicsmaths
Yh i know a good friend of mine doing pembroke engineering currently first year. He went to my school.

Posted from TSR Mobile

How's he finding it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
...FarhanHanif is a 3rd year cambridge student...

DFranklin is also a highly respected ex-Cambridge mathmo and he says:
I'm fairly sure I've seen admissions tutors (probably from Cambridge) saying along the lines of "don't take exams early if you're not going to do well in them".

Again, I'd recommend applicants should simply follow current Admissions Tutor's advice. i.e. declare all exam results.
Original post by jneill
I'm fairly sure I've seen admissions tutors (probably from Cambridge) saying along the lines of "don't take exams early if you're not going to do well in them".

Again, I'd recommend applicants should simply follow current Admissions Tutor's advice. i.e. declare all exam results.

That is perfectly good advice, and has nothing to do with declaring STEP results on UCAS?
Original post by Elcor
How's he finding it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I will ask him and get back to you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jneill

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2123614

Dirac Spinor another cambridge maths gapyear applicant, who didnt put his previous step grades down.

And UCAS is rthe most official source, so here is a Q&A:

Q)So if we don't do so well on the STEP paper, for example, then we can request that the results be removed from our UCAS form? And Cambridge (the writers of the exam) cannot access the mark at all?

A) That's right (UCAS official fb page)

https://www.facebook.com/ucasonline/posts/584937884872662
That is perfectly good advice, and has nothing to do with declaring STEP results on UCAS?

It's clear to me the AT's response to being asked about STEP is saying yes applicants need to declare all STEP results.

And that's what Goodbloke and DFranklin are saying too.

But sure, if you're the expert why not pop over to the Christ's thread and debate it with him.
We have found conflicting information from the Cambridge Faculty of Mathematics Information Guide (which says we don't have to declare it), and a Churchill College admissions tutor (who says that Cambridge/Warwick will not look kindly on people who took the exams early and failed).

As you can see there is much misinformation, as not many people outside of Maths understand STEP. But considering the Cambridge maths faculty write STEP, I would go with them. It is an entrance exam, not a qualification...just like you wouldnt be expected to input your MAT grade for Oxford if you had done that beforehand.
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2123614

Dirac Spinor another cambridge maths gapyear applicant, who didnt put his previous step grades down.

And UCAS is rthe most official source, so here is a Q&A:

Q)So if we don't do so well on the STEP paper, for example, then we can request that the results be removed from our UCAS form? And Cambridge (the writers of the exam) cannot access the mark at all?

A) That's right (UCAS official fb page)

https://www.facebook.com/ucasonline/posts/584937884872662

That FB thread also says:
"UCAS Hi Tom. We would recommend that all qualifications are declared. If the applicant doesn't end up taking the qualification then they just need to e-mail [email protected] and let them know to remove it from the application form.

Sean"
Original post by Vesniep
STEP1,2 are much easier than STEP3(I wanted to sit STEP3 as well, but maybe I will get 1 or 2...these are my grades most of the time).But if shamika is right, I should definetely sit STEP3 too!(right?)So about STEP1 it is not required so you only sit this for practicing, and an S/1 in STEP2 will guarantee you a place even in Trinity???That would awesome!
I have seen Trinity tests and they are quiet easier and smaller than STEP's questions.So why Trinity is considered so difficult for Maths? What qualification should you have for Trinity that other colleges don't require?As far as I am concerned, all colleges have the same difficulty,am I wrong?

Mate, unfortunately as you can see there is much misinformation about declaring STEP results. I assure you you do not need to, i have shown some examples of successful cambridge applicants in the past who have not done so...just email the Cambridge Maths department and it will all be cleared up for you :smile:
Original post by jneill
That FB thread also says:
"UCAS Hi Tom. We would recommend that all qualifications are declared. If the applicant doesn't end up taking the qualification then they just need to e-mail [email protected] and let them know to remove it from the application form.

Sean"

The point is, STEP is not a qualification, it is an entrance exam. That is precisely why you dont need to declare it and why in the followup question...specifically mentioning STEP, UCAS confirmed you dont need to.
The point is, STEP is not a qualification, it is an entrance exam. That is precisely why you dont need to declare it and why in the followup question...specifically mentioning STEP, UCAS confirmed you dont need to.

So admissions tutors at Christ's and Churchill are wrong... :rolleyes:
Original post by jneill
So admissions tutors at Christ's and Churchill are wrong... :rolleyes:

In this case yes I believe they are incorrect. STEP is very unique and not everyone knows an awful lot about it so it is not surprising that the rules are clear to everyone.

Define Qualification: as far as Cambridge and UCAS is concerned, STEP is a qualification.

http://www.kings.cam.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/offer-holders/checklist.html
Contains this: A list of qualifications processed by UCAS
https://www.ucas.com/ucas/undergraduate/apply-and-track/results/sending-exam-results
OCR

iMedia Certificate and Diploma

iPRO Certificate and Diploma

Mathematics STEP Papers I, II and III

National Certificates, Diplomas and Extended Diplomas (all at National Qualifications Framework Level 3 only)

Principal Learning

Certificate in Quantitiative Methods

Certificate in Mathematics for Engineers

Certificate for Young Enterprise

Also "UK qualifications 2015 (pdf) - UCAS"
https://www.ucas.com/sites/default/files/2015-uk-qualifications.pdf
Page 171
Sixth Term Examination Papers
QUALIFICATION ABBREVIATION: STEP

BACKGROUND:
STEP was formerly administered by the Oxford and Cambridge Schools Examination Board on behalf of Cambridge Colleges. When it was first examined in the mid-1980s, there were 22 STEP papers available. Over the years, the number of papers has been gradually reduced. Most of them, with the exception of mathematics, were examined for the last time in 2002 when Advanced Extension Awards were introduced...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending