The Student Room Group

BTEC courswork and moderation help please!

for BTEC level 3, Do teachers decide which pieces of coursework are sent in order to be moderated or are all the coursework pieces sent for moderation?

Also, if it was found that the teacher's marking wasn't up to scratch, will the students be penalized despite believing that they had a certain grade?

Thanks
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Elnor
for BTEC level 3, Do teachers decide which pieces of coursework are sent in order to be moderated or are all the coursework pieces sent for moderation?

Also, if it was found that the teacher's marking wasn't up to scratch, will the students be penalized despite believing that they had a certain grade?

Thanks

The moderators typically ask for a sample of the work from students that they select from a sample of the units completed. If work fails the moderation then that is the final grade.. A lot of teachers complain to the students about the moderation deadline.. Though usually the work itself gets moderated midyear.. Prevents people from losing grades due to poor marking.

I wouldn't worry about the moderation.. Unless the work you produce is unsatisfactory.. Would you believe it to be unsatisfactory?
Reply 2
Original post by Binary Freak
The moderators typically ask for a sample of the work from students that they select from a sample of the units completed. If work fails the moderation then that is the final grade.. A lot of teachers complain to the students about the moderation deadline.. Though usually the work itself gets moderated midyear.. Prevents people from losing grades due to poor marking.

I wouldn't worry about the moderation.. Unless the work you produce is unsatisfactory.. Would you believe it to be unsatisfactory?

Thank you for the response. My teachers have never mentioned anything about moderation deadlines. I'm still a little confused, are the samples that are given random by candidate? will the students still be downgraded even if it was the fault of the teacher that he/she couldn't do his/hers job properly?

I put a lot of effort into my coursework but i'm a worrier and always consider what could go wrong!
I am a BTEC verifier. The procedure is that the BTEC verifier will contact your college / school and select 4 or 8 learners (depending on programme) for checking.
The verifier will check that the centre has marked and verified correctly and then s/he will check to see if they agree with the marking decisions. If your teacher has marked as Pass, Merit or Distinction and then the internal verifier (normally another teacher or Head of department) has agreed, and the verifier agrees with their decisions then all learners from that course will receive the grades that the teacher has given.
If the BTec verifier does not agree with the centres marks, then all learners will be blocked. The centre will then need to get ALL students to make any changes and then re-mark and send off to BTEC for checking again.

The deadline is end of April, so your work could have been sent off without you knowing.
Original post by Elnor
Thank you for the response. My teachers have never mentioned anything about moderation deadlines. I'm still a little confused, are the samples that are given random by candidate? will the students still be downgraded even if it was the fault of the teacher that he/she couldn't do his/hers job properly?

I put a lot of effort into my coursework but i'm a worrier and always consider what could go wrong!

As said by the above verifier.

If anyone at your college does happen to SOMEHOW fail moderation then that college shouldn't be allowed to offer the course.. Or at minimum the teacher should be replaced.

You'll have nothing to worry about if you produce good work :smile:
bamtutor

Hi I am a mechanical engineering student, I have done level 3 extended diploma BTEC, Now my question is that for one of the unit I had attempted the disti criteria and got half of it correct and did resub for it, at that stage pearson announced to give student predicted grades. As I checked for last time my college predicted to give me DDD but when I got my results I got DDM. Also in the unit in which I had attempted the distinction criteria I assumed that I would get distinction cause I got half of the criteria correct, but in my result I got merit in that unit instead of a distinction. can there be a possibility that the teacher didn't see my resub, and marked me down to a merit in that unit instead of a predicted grade of distinction

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending