The Student Room Group

Cambridge Offer Holders 2015 thread

Scroll to see replies

Hi offer holders!

Firstly, congrats to you all! Secondly, I wonder if I could ask for some feedback? We are always keen to hear how we can do things better and we are currently looking at the support we give to offer-holders. What could we do better? Do you think offer-holder open days are a good idea? What would help you? Also very keen to hear from any parents lurking in the wings.

Thanks all!
Original post by Peterhouse Admissions
Hi offer holders!

Firstly, congrats to you all! Secondly, I wonder if I could ask for some feedback? We are always keen to hear how we can do things better and we are currently looking at the support we give to offer-holders. What could we do better? Do you think offer-holder open days are a good idea? What would help you? Also very keen to hear from any parents lurking in the wings.

Thanks all!

I always find myself looking at college/Cambridge pages in the hopes of seeing something new (can't contain my excitement). So maybe more frequent updates, even if it doesn't contain any actual real information?

Also maybe provide information as to how we can prepare for Cambridge, a more detailed account of what to expect, and so on.

You may have noticed that I'm really satisfied with everything, so these are just teeny tiny pointers that bear no significance whatsoever but will make our lives more enjoyable and more prepared :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi offer holders!

Thanks all!

I really liked that we knew straight away if we were pooled whether we were successful or unsuccessful but I think if there was a way to tell the applicant which college at the same time that would be good. Other than that I thought the process was great!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi offer holders!

Thanks all!

Hello,

I'm a parent of an offer holder (not Peterhouse, though). My son's offer didn't arrive in the post until the Tuesday afternoon and, although he was calm, MY nerves were in shreds! I think it would be a good idea if all colleges sent their decisions by email.
Original post by MaisieMay
Hello,

I'm a parent of an offer holder (not Peterhouse, though). My son's offer didn't arrive in the post until the Tuesday afternoon and, although he was calm, MY nerves were in shreds! I think it would be a good idea if all colleges sent their decisions by email.

I second this - I tried to remain calm while waiting for the reply but I just couldn't focus on anything at all. Otherwise everything is awesome :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi offer holders!

Thanks all!

I think that post-offer days would be fantastic; I had a really good time at the ones for other universities and it helped me decide what to choose for my insurance. Something like this would be brill for Cambridge too. It also give us the opportunity to meet others that we might be going to uni with next year.

I found everything quite stressful, but I'm a stress pot. I don't think there's really anything you could do to make the process less stressful really. All of the interview advice in particular was so useful and helped a lot. I had a tiny booklet that I picked up on the open day and the advice was on point.

For me, the process was seamless. Even though it was stressful, I did enjoy every part of it.
After watching the ruckus in the 2016 thread, I'm starting to doubt my chances of surviving Cambridge without hearing the words 'check your privilege'. Might start compiling of a list of avoidance strategies loool

Hi offer holders!

Thanks all!

I'll say (along with everyone else) that the whole system is great. Personally I would have loved to have been invited to a post-offer open day. Not sure how reasonable that desire is? Would be fun, but probably not useful for much outside of that (at least for my subject). If it's an easy thing to do, though, I think most people would be interested.

One thing I would say, not sure if this is true for Peterhouse, but Christ's did not have a designated area for applicants to meet one another. Maybe it would be a bad idea - patronising, awkward. - I don't know, but at the time of my interview I was a little disappointed that I'd not run into that many other applicants.

Just a thought, though. Otherwise my experience was absolute awesome!
Can I still be part of this if I declined an unconditional offer from Cambridge? 😂

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by amyelizabeth19
Can I still be part of this if I declined an unconditional offer from Cambridge? 😂

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you want...?

Do you want bragging rights or something lol
Original post by amyelizabeth19
Can I still be part of this if I declined an unconditional offer from Cambridge?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well yeah anyone can. Why would you want to, though?
Go on her profile. Studying btec level 3 stuff.
Doubt that results in an unconditional.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by L'Evil Fish
If you want...?

Do you want bragging rights or something lol

Original post by cerlohee
Well yeah anyone can. Why would you want to, though?

I suspect it's a troll...

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/search.php?do=finduser&u=1766523
Original post by tomfailinghelp
After watching the ruckus in the 2016 thread, I'm starting to doubt my chances of surviving Cambridge without hearing the words 'check your privilege'. Might start compiling of a list of avoidance strategies loool

The whole thing is so sad and it's terrible that it creates a negative view of the university. My college, Magdalene, has the highest percentage of privately educated students; something that if I had known beforehand would have entirely put me off applying there. This would have been an obviously stupid decision. I don't see why class should separate people. We've all worked exceptionally hard to get offers (and hopefully meet them).

Also, why is our thread so dead compared to theirs? :sigh:
Original post by ILovePancakes
The whole thing is so sad and it's terrible that it creates a negative view of the university. My college, Magdalene, has the highest percentage of privately educated students; something that if I had known beforehand would have entirely put me off applying there. This would have been an obviously stupid decision. I don't see why class should separate people. We've all worked exceptionally hard to get offers (and hopefully meet them).

Also, why is our thread so dead compared to theirs? :sigh:

I had suspected that it was because people were off revising. Although that isn't why I haven't posted this year, so maybe not :tongue:

Are you feeling excited? I don't know any other offer holders to talk to about it :frown:

Could you paraphrase what happened?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Elcor
Could you paraphrase what happened?

Posted from TSR Mobile

A crazed anarcha--syndicalist-marxist revolutionary tried to wrest from his burdened soul the stifling leashes and chains of the jeering, tyrannical bourgeoisie, and to carve a new dawn for those who reject the irrational soulless abstractions of the Cambridge Admissions tutors.
I had suspected that it was because people were off revising. Although that isn't why I haven't posted this year, so maybe not :tongue:

Are you feeling excited? I don't know any other offer holders to talk to about it :frown:

I wish I could say that I wasn't posting because I was Just Revising So Hard but that's not the case haha. Do wonder why this thread's so inactive now though.

In the same position! Only offer holder I know has declined for Imperial, so can't talk to anyone either :frown: Are you excited?????!! :smile:
Original post by cerlohee
I wish I could say that I wasn't posting because I was Just Revising So Hard but that's not the case haha. Do wonder why this thread's so inactive now though.

In the same position! Only offer holder I know has declined for Imperial, so can't talk to anyone either :frown: Are you excited?????!! :smile:

(They declined Cambridge for Imperial? No punting for that person...)

I am so excited! I don't want to let myself get too bad, because I could always be rejected, but my God I just want to go now! I want to meet people and to go out and have lunched and then be at Cambridge and do some essays and go to lectures and watch poetry readings and have lots of fun. I can't wait six months.

Are you? Which college are you off to?
A crazed anarcha--syndicalist-marxist revolutionary tried to wrest from his burdened soul the stifling leashes and chains of the jeering, tyrannical bourgeoisie, and to carve a new dawn for those who reject the irrational soulless abstractions of the Cambridge Admissions tutors.

Ah.
Does Daniel Lafferty annoy anyone else, or is it just me?

Edit: Okay, now that it's not midnight I realise how childish it looks putting this on TSR :lol:. I've got nothing wrong with the guy personally, I suppose, I just can't get past his whole 'holier-than-thou' vibe. Not to mention the denial of classism, looking down on people for not having a STEP offer to meet and calling people who aren't as far-right as him 'inadequate'.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending