Reply 120
Firmed for International business :biggrin:
Winter time, University of Kent
University of Kent
Canterbury
Visit website
Received unconditional offer for World Literature. And firmed :colondollar:
Potential classmates, say aye! :tongue:
Just curious as I couldn't find it whilst applying for accommodation, does anyone know if accommodation is mix-gender? Last university I was at I was just living in a flat with 4 other girls and it didn't go too well...
Original post by Simmsy27
Just curious as I couldn't find it whilst applying for accommodation, does anyone know if accommodation is mix-gender? Last university I was at I was just living in a flat with 4 other girls and it didn't go too well...

It is yes, unless you ask otherwise when you apply.
Firm for Business & Management. Yay!
curious to what your expected grades are? what happens if you dont meet them. Could ypu still get in
Reply 126
Firmed for Politics and International Relations with a year in North America with the offer at BBB.
Original post by Spike Keizer
I just firmed for Computer Science too! :colondollar: Fingers crossed we will meet in not so long.

I also firmed CS. See you guys soon!
hi, I've just firmed for Economics at Kent. I was wondering if there was anyone who was looking at Park wood houses as accommodation. is it mixed, because I need all girls room at all costs.
Firmed my offer for Economics!
Reply 130
Original post by EllieC130
Ok I'm going to focus on English in regards to lectures. Your first question is kind of varied; some lecturers are good, some are average, some are just boring as hell. Also, it'll depend on what you see as a good lecturer. For example, there's a guy who puts next to nothing on his powerpoints and expects you to just be able to get write down everything he's saying. He annoys the hell out of me. But then there's this over guy who gives his lectures in quite an informal way which is good because they're at 9am and I feel like I'd fall asleep if his lectures weren't so interesting. They're great content wise too. I hate to be a lazy bitch but I put my thoughts on my course as a whole a couple of posts back so I'd recommend you looked there. I wrote a long paragraph on English.

Life at Kent is very much what you make it; you have so many opportunities. There's a lot of societies; I swear you could find something you're interested in and you should because their socials are awesome (admittedly I've only been to a few but some of the societies are just so damn friendly). Unfortunately I'm a bit of a cautionary tale as I've only wound up really being involved in one society this year and not as much as I would have liked so I say if you can, join a few and really commit to them. The one I do the most in is the RAG (raise and give) society; essentially they organise various charity events for various courses. This ranges from raids which are essentially just collecting money in town, to evening events like the charity Take Me Out in the uni club (The Venue), to trips to China if you can raise a certain amount for charity. From what I've heard, being part of a sport is a lot of fun because you get the opportunity to enter tournaments and their socials are always mad because they go through periods where they can't drink or go out because they're currently in a tournament. But apparently it really pays off; I did happen to go to the Lacrosse one and it was badass. They had a barbeque, a games area, a beer pong room. This is without all the booze available of course XD. It was a whole lot of fun.

On that topic, the nightlife at Kent and in Canterbury is REALLY good. There are a lot of pubs, clubs and bars to go to. Kent's main club is Venue but there's also Mungos, Origins, Kbar (all just more chilled out bars that do various events during the week; I've been told Ruby Tuesday, a night where they play more indie music, at Origins is brilliant) and Woody's (more of a pub; it's awesome but be wary on nights that sport is being played XD). Unfortunately I, again, kind of screwed up so I haven't been to many places in town. I've been to Cuban, which is a club which, shockingly, has a kind of Cuban feel; it's good for a club but I'm personally not a big club person. I've also recently been to The Pound which is more of a bar. It's built off of an old castle ruin and it looks really cool; they have an awesome cocktail menu but I'm yet to try any. I've also heard good things about The Ballroom (bar that sometimes has live music and an open mic night every Wednesday) and Club Chemistry (a club with three floors, each playing a different genre of music; the night it is depends on how many are open however). With that being said, there are still plenty more pub and bars to look into.

There's a lot of support available a Kent; you get an academic advisor who you can talk to if you're having problem on your course. As far as I know, each school (that the subjects are divided into) has a student support place where you can discuss more emotional matters like stress and such. There's also a career office with different advisors for different schools. I've actually gotten help from them before; they're incredibly helpful.

Generally accommodation in Canterbury isn't extortionate but the sooner you can find a place, the less expensive it's likely to be. On average, it's likely to be a few hundred more than wherever you stay in first year but it's worth it because you have a proper house with a garden and living room. I have a friend who got really lucky with her house next year because she was so early but don't threat if you're still looking in January. I was and my house for next year is pretty good. Around February is when you should start panicking a bit.

I would say it depends on the amount of applicants and your personal statement and such but as far as this year is concerned, I got incredibly lucky in how lenient Kent were. My offer was AAB but only the day I only got BCC. Don't get me wrong; try and do the absolute best you can but if you're only a grade or two down I reckon they'd let you in. 5 down (i.e. me) is pushing it a bit. Hope this information hasn't overwhelmed you too much. I realise it's a lot to take in.

Hi,
You said you got BCC and got accepted for and AAB course, just wondering if you were accepted immediately or did you have to wait a while (few hours?) or go through clearing?

Just curious,

Original post by MrMC
Hi,
You said you got BCC and got accepted for and AAB course, just wondering if you were accepted immediately or did you have to wait a while (few hours?) or go through clearing?

Just curious,

Woke up at 7am on results day and I'd been accepted :smile:
Reply 132
Original post by EllieC130
Woke up at 7am on results day and I'd been accepted :smile:

Awesome!

So now you're at kent what's your impression on the amount of people their who met their requirements or were most lucky like you? Or did they go through clearing etc?
Original post by MrMC
Awesome!

So now you're at kent what's your impression on the amount of people their who met their requirements or were most lucky like you? Or did they go through clearing etc?

Honestly it's a really mixed bag. In one of my seminars alone, there's a girl who met her requirements no problem, one who was in the same situation as me and one who went through clearing.
Firmed for Business And Management
Guys, I was wondering how you apply for all girls in accommodation. Do you get a choice at rutherford college and so on...:smile:
I firmed for Marketing with Year in Industry! :smile:
Original post by xhoicakoni
Guys, I was wondering how you apply for all girls in accommodation. Do you get a choice at rutherford college and so on...:smile:

i'm current student and i'm nearly 100% sure that there is no all girl accommodation. I have a friend (who is a girl) that requested it for religious reasons but was put into a mixed accommodation.
Original post by phantomdestiny
i'm current student and i'm nearly 100% sure that there is no all girl accommodation. I have a friend (who is a girl) that requested it for religious reasons but was put into a mixed accommodation.

I think Chaucer is separate? I know it is a bit different from the rest of the accommodation though.
i didn't know Chaucer was available to new students since it's technically not University accomodation. Its another college from the area that happens to have unisex accomodation but it comes with a curfew.

They did give it , to some students this year because Turing college was not entirely built and people applied there so they got some money + Chaucer.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending