The Student Room Group

Ex- IB Student (If you ever need help, just ask)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by honeybadgerkid
Hi, also an ex-IB student here! :smile:

HLs:

English A: Literature - 6
History - 6
Economics - 7

SLs:

French B - 6
Biology - 6
Math Studies - 7

So if anyone wants to ask anything about any of those subjects then I'd be happy to answer!

Hey there! I do Maths Studies and English Lit too, and was wondering if you have any top tips for revision for both of those subjects! Especially English?!
Reply 121
Original post by mnina19
Anyhow, I did my IB exams in May 2014, and I did;

Philosophy HL - 7
History HL - 7
English HL - 6 (but should go up in a remark)
Maths Studies SL - 7
French SL - 5
Physics SL - 5
EE - A
ToK - A

happy to help if anyone needs it!

Were you worried about taking Maths studies instead of SL? Some universities don't like it - even for subjects like teaching.
Reply 122
Original post by mnina19
Anyhow, I did my IB exams in May 2014, and I did;

Philosophy HL - 7
History HL - 7
English HL - 6 (but should go up in a remark)
Maths Studies SL - 7
French SL - 5
Physics SL - 5
EE - A
ToK - A

happy to help if anyone needs it!

Wow could you please give me some tips about how to get a 7 in Philosophy HL? :smile:
Hi, I'm currently doing GCSEs but I'm considering to do IB for sixth form, could you guys please answer some of my questions please?

1. Do most people take 6 subjects and 3 are HL,3 SL?
2. Is the maximum points 45 for most people?
3.How hard is it to get 41 out of 45 for points, is it near impossible or not that hard?
4. How hard is it to get 776 at higher level?
5. Is IB more useful than A levels? Or what are the advantages and disadvantages of IB over A levels?

Any help will be appreciated thank you!!:smile:
Original post by Xiuchen
Hi, I'm currently doing GCSEs but I'm considering to do IB for sixth form, could you guys please answer some of my questions please?

1. Do most people take 6 subjects and 3 are HL,3 SL?
3.How hard is it to get 41 out of 45 for points, is it near impossible or not that hard?
4. How hard is it to get 776 at higher level?
5. Is IB more useful than A levels? Or what are the advantages and disadvantages of IB over A levels?

if you want to get the diploma, EVERYONE gets 6 subjects, 3 HLs, 3 SLs, and the max is always 45 points. Unless you're doing certificates or something. But yes, unless you have special cases/reasons, whether because you're a genius of something, most people is 3 HL, 3 SL.

I don't know anything about A-levels, I didn't really have a choice (my school don't offer A-levels), but from what I heard, both the good and bad side of IB is that it's more rigorous. This means you are more prepared for the amount of workload at university but obviously you'd have to spend more time studying.

Also, in case you don't know, you have to pick subjects from each group. So you have to study 2 languages, maths, 1 science, 1 humanities, and the remaining one either creativity (music/art) or another science/humanity subject :smile:
Original post by Xiuchen

You can receive up to 42 points from your subjects, and an additional 3 from your Extended Essay and Theory of Knowledge (it is a combined grade, where EE is worth two and TOK is worth one, but if you perform poorly on either EE or TOK you will lose points for both).

Getting 41 out of the 45 is very difficult indeed, as it'd require at least two 7s (A*), but most probably three or four 7s (the majority of IB students get 0 points from their Extended Essay, almost none get 2). Then again, nothing is impossible if you can put in the effort.

IB is valued higher than A-Level because it is more work, so if you're confident you should definitely choose it.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by LeviosaNight
if you want to get the diploma, EVERYONE gets 6 subjects, 3 HLs, 3 SLs, and the max is always 45 points. Unless you're doing certificates or something. But yes, unless you have special cases/reasons, whether because you're a genius of something, most people is 3 HL, 3 SL.

I don't know anything about A-levels, I didn't really have a choice (my school don't offer A-levels), but from what I heard, both the good and bad side of IB is that it's more rigorous. This means you are more prepared for the amount of workload at university but obviously you'd have to spend more time studying.

Also, in case you don't know, you have to pick subjects from each group. So you have to study 2 languages, maths, 1 science, 1 humanities, and the remaining one either creativity (music/art) or another science/humanity subject :smile:

Thank you soooo much!!!! That really helped me!! :smile: I really appreciate that you replied I have a much better understanding of IB now :biggrin:
Original post by ALevelBro
You can receive up to 42 points from your subjects, and an additional 3 from your Extended Essay and Theory of Knowledge (it is a combined grade, where EE is worth two and TOK is worth one, but if you perform poorly on either EE or TOK you will lose points for both).

Getting 41 out of the 45 is very difficult indeed, as it'd require at least two 7s (A*), but most probably three or four 7s (the majority of IB students get 0 points from their Extended Essay, almost none get 2). Then again, nothing is impossible if you can put in the effort.

IB is valued higher than A-Level because it is more work, so if you're confident you should definitely choose it.

Thank you so much! It does sound very difficult! I'll try to make up my mind :smile: Thank you for the information it was really helpful!!
Original post by Xiuchen
Thank you soooo much!!!! That really helped me!! :smile: I really appreciate that you replied I have a much better understanding of IB now :biggrin:

You're welcome, it's definitely good to understand IB/A-Levels fully before you make a choice ((:
Original post by LeviosaNight
You're welcome, it's definitely good to understand IB/A-Levels fully before you make a choice ((:

Yupp! Thank you!!:biggrin:

HLs:

History - 6
Economics - 7

SLs:

French B - 6
Biology - 6
Math Studies - 7

So if anyone wants to ask anything about any of those subjects then I'd be happy to answer!

Hi!

Well done on your results! They look amazing!

Could you please give me some tips on how you achieved a 7 in HL Economics?

Thank you!
Reply 131

HLs:

History - 6
Economics - 7

SLs:

French B - 6
Biology - 6
Math Studies - 7

Do you think doing maths studies put you at a lower standard in terms of getting into uni? I really dont know if i should do maths SL or maths studies SL
Original post by sofilxx
Do you think doing maths studies put you at a lower standard in terms of getting into uni? I really dont know if i should do maths SL or maths studies SL

Not at all - Maths Studies is not looked down upon. I did Maths Studies and went to Warwick Uni for a law and business degree.

I run a blog on subject selection. This post here deals with Maths specifically - http://bit.ly/IBMaths

There will be more posts on all popular IB subjects in the coming weeks here - http://bit.ly/CallidoFB

Show us some love and like the page!
Reply 133
Original post by sofilxx

Depends what you want to do. Teaching degrees require Maths SL, for law Maths studies is fine
Reply 134
Thank you so much
Reply 135
Original post by Madhu1610
Not at all - Maths Studies is not looked down upon. I did Maths Studies and went to Warwick Uni for a law and business degree.

I run a blog on subject selection. This post here deals with Maths specifically - http://bit.ly/IBMaths

There will be more posts on all popular IB subjects in the coming weeks here - http://bit.ly/CallidoFB

Show us some love and like the page!

Thanks so much! may I ask what you got for each of your subjects?
Hi, please how did you get As in your EE and tok?
Original post by happy me
Hi, please how did you get As in your EE and tok?

I got a predicted A in my EE and TOK, so I'll try to help.

For your EE, it's important to choose it in a subject you're interested in, preferably one of your HL's. Your choice of question should also be interesting for you, so do some research beforehand. As with anything IB, the syllabus is your best friend. Make sure you know the guidelines and what you're expected to do. Remember that your supervisor is there to help as well, but it's your responsibility to go see him / her. They shouldn't hunt you down. I don't know when your school does the EE, we started ours in Spring / started writing in the summer between IB1 and IB2. Use this time, because once IB2 starts, you'll have exams and other things to worry about.
I did my EE in maths. I did A LOT of reading before I started, including multiple and articles, uni lectures, and youtube videos... I basically wrote the first draft in 2 days, just sat down after breakfast and wrote until dinner, but I know not everybody can do that, so it's up to you.
Also, it is an essay, so things like good grammar / sentence structure / vocab are as always, helpful.

For TOK, the main thing is the questions. Make sure you have good, thoughtful, and not just yes/no questions related to the AOK's and WOK's. The presentation is your opportunity to really explore different viewpoints. Push your thoughts into any and every direction, and it will show that you really put a lot of effort, thought, and work into it. The essay as well, the questions are what you should build it on. Don't be afraid to ask your TOK teacher for help, they're there to guide you. Also don't forget the resources you were given, there are some good TOK guides out there.

Another tip: always go right up to the word / time limit. Make your presentation 10 min. Your EE 4000 words. It shows that you had a lot of ideas and really pushed yourself to make the most of it.
Finished IB in May, these were my subjects:

HL: Math, Physics, Geo
SL: English, Spanish (Ab initio), Art

I'm going to be studying Maths in the fall :smile:
Reply 139
Hi! I'm gonna do my extended essay in biology. I was thinking about doing that on nutrition. What do you think about measuring and comparing the amount of calories in different foods before and after cooking? For not being too simple, if possible to measure the amount of protein and etc...
I would appreciate any ideas and thoughts
Thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending