The Student Room Group

St. George's UoL GEM (A101) Applicants 2015

Scroll to see replies

Same. Had pretty much already decided against George's but helped take any decision-making out of the equation.
Reply 381
For anyone still on the waiting list, I've declined my place and opted for Swansea instead. Good luck :smile:
Hey guys I am international student and I thinking of applyyng to st george next year for graduate entry medical program. But I am really confused if I should or not because I have heard various responses regarding the reputation of this university and the medicine program here. I want an honest decision from you and help out in deciding whether I should apply into this uni? I want to know if St. george is acknowledged as well known university in Uk. Does it have a good reputation and how would people look down to someone who graduated in MD from St. Georege as compared to graduates from other UK medical schools. Is it worth to study here with such a high tution fee? Thanks
Original post by Aqua_2000
Hey guys I am international student and I thinking of applyyng to st george next year for graduate entry medical program. But I am really confused if I should or not because I have heard various responses regarding the reputation of this university and the medicine program here. I want an honest decision from you and help out in deciding whether I should apply into this uni? I want to know if St. george is acknowledged as well known university in Uk. Does it have a good reputation and how would people look down to someone who graduated in MD from St. Georege as compared to graduates from other UK medical schools. Is it worth to study here with such a high tution fee? Thanks

I think what a lot of people forget is that St George's is a small, mostly vocational university. It's set apart, far from the more centrally located London universities and won't have as high an esteem as more 'academically' looked upon universities. The buildings are quite old and that's because it doesn't receive a lot of funding and the location is not as vibrant as other universities. But St George's trust is a wonderful place to learn and one of the hardest deaneries to get into. I've done HCA work in lots of London trusts and St George's and UCLH are the only places I've genuinely enjoyed being at. It's a small year group, both for graduate and undergraduate so you get to know everyone. I've heard great things about the organisation and how friendly teachers and consultants can be. I wouldn't decide which university to go to based on university rankings, make sure you try to visit any uni's you're interested in to be able to make an informed decision.
Yeah I think you are right I should not just rely on university rankings as it is a matter of personal opinion by students. One things that I found out when I did my reserach was that it says it is the second oldest university in Uk and highly specialized in health related program such as medicine. On a postitive note, I believe that alll UK universities are considered as world best universities in terms of academics so it doesnot matter whether one graduated from UCL or St. george. it should give the same impression.

My situation has been intensely bad . as i did my research for graduate entry medical program, I found that this is the only universities that has the program which is especially designed for international students (Canadians, USA). For the rest, I would have to write UKCAT which is another extra piece of work whereas this university will also my except my MCAT. So I see higher chances of getting admitted to St.George as compared to other UK universities.
Original post by Aqua_2000
Yeah I think you are right I should not just rely on university rankings as it is a matter of personal opinion by students. One things that I found out when I did my reserach was that it says it is the second oldest university in Uk and highly specialized in health related program such as medicine. On a postitive note, I believe that alll UK universities are considered as world best universities in terms of academics so it doesnot matter whether one graduated from UCL or St. george. it should give the same impression.

My situation has been intensely bad . as i did my research for graduate entry medical program, I found that this is the only universities that has the program which is especially designed for international students (Canadians, USA). For the rest, I would have to write UKCAT which is another extra piece of work whereas this university will also my except my MCAT. So I see higher chances of getting admitted to St.George as compared to other UK universities.

St George's looks favourably on international students as they bring in more money, but that's a good thing for international students. You'll feel less out of your comfort zone if there are more people there who share the same situation as you, but it also means their student services for international students is top notch.
I am applying for the 2016 class of the international MBBS medical four year course.
I am told letters for interviews are being sent in the next 7 days!
Nervous.
I am coming from the US and I also applied to the four MCAT based Ireland medical school four year medical programs.
Anyone else in my situation?
cwr

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending