The Student Room Group

why do A-Level Students Look Down on BTEC's?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by scorpius14
I think you need to stop comparing A level maths, chemistry and physics with sports science BTEC level 3, sure it has the word 'science' in it but it doesn't mean it has the same discipline, concepts and such. Just like computer science, as most of that has nothing to do with science but has more to do with networks, hardware, software and electronics.

A-levels are appreciated more by traditional russell group universities, so you A-level students out there should open up your mind a little, don't judge BTEC's unless you've done them yourself, I mean the higher level ones like Extended Diploma's and Higher National Diplomas.Whereas if all universities were so stringent as the russell group "red-brick" universities, the government (or education secretary) would commit to a complete overhaul of the BTEC, City&Guilds and the equivalent framework. There are many universities that outnumber the so-called elite that take in BTEC students openly, just that this forum consists mostly of high achievers who strive for nothing but success.

No.

Computer Science is an applied mathematical discipline, I don't know how you've managed to link hardware and electronics with Comp Sci. It's more to do with the mathematics of computational complexity than how to design circuit ABC - that's electronic engineering.

If Maths is a science, so is Computer Science.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Princepieman
No.

Computer Science is an applied mathematical discipline, I don't know how you've managed to link hardware and electronics with Comp Sci. It's more to do with the mathematics of computational complexity than how to design circuit ABC - that's electronic engineering.

If Maths is a science, so is Computer Science.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes and most CS modules to do with Logic will cover content on Logical expressions and how to represent them through circuits.

I agree with you that naturally CS is a branch of mathematics but modern CS courses at ANY university will cover modules on Hardware, Networks and Programming as well as Maths.

Some people would argue that CS is a combination of both Maths and Electronic Engineering, applying mathematical functions and reasoning to produce efficient solutions and this is where the link to Hardware and Software comes from.
I don't really know, admittedly I used to do this, it didn't even make sense to me, it was just a trend I was following... and then my cousin did a BTEC Health & Social care course and I realised how much work BTEC's really did take and that the stuff they r taught is actually interesting. I also realised that students with god BTEC grades can sometimes get into a better university than a level students for the same course!
I learn't t that it was all arrogance, I think people who are make fun of BTEC students are just unhappy about themselves or insecure, or being made insecure by someone else (maybe their parents)
There was also a horrible taboo towards retake students, which I realised was a load of **** when I foynd myself in a position where I had to retake the year. I knew it wasn't lack of intellect, I had a horrible year that year. And even if people do **** up due to laziness or whatever I do respect those retake bcos it takes a lot of courage and determination to opot in to stay at school for one extra year. As long as u learn from your mistakes, I think it's ok to meet them. Everyone has their own story. My cousin got good grades at school until depression hit her. Same with myself. People shouldn't judge. Someone who is doing BTEC may or not be the most bright of ppl, they may have dyslexia or another health condition hindering their academic progress, but regardless they r still trying!
Who said BTEC Sports is 'better' than Maths? You can't say one is better than the other. It depends what u want to get into in he future, if u aspire to go into banking and finance then Maths is the better more appropriate subject. If u aspire to be a sports coach then BTEC sport will be better. Job prospects wise though Maths A level is probably better
Original post by TheCrazyCatfish
The only thing that annoys me is how someone going to college 3 days a week insists their level 3 BTEC is worth 4 A-levels that people go to sixth form 5 days a week for. I just can't take them seriously when they insist their level 3 sports science is worth 4 A-levels and therefore "better" than Maths, Physics and Chemistry A2 would be, even though it's easy to see these are much harder and more highly regarded.
Original post by Ryanx623
Just wondering why people seem to think A-Levels are superior?

I'm on a Level 3 Extended for EEE Engineering, backed up with a A-level in Maths, planning on going to University of Southampton for EEE...

Just to be clear, I have nothing against A-Levels.. What's your opinion on the whole A-Level > BTEC thing?

A-level is kind of superior if you think about it, I am taking BTEC but that's because it was really my last resort. A-levels allow you to get into the top of the top universities, most of the good unis won't accept BTEC because, well as far as I'm concerned with my science course, it really don't test your knowledge at all. You can be stupid as and still pass because it's mostly based on coursework. That being said all you have to do is google for the answer and change the words around a bit lol. A-levels really give you an indepth learning, a change to test you knowledge with exams, however I believe that for people doing more practical work like engineering like yourself, or forensic science, it's a lot better to do BTEC because it's more hands-on experience if you get what I mean :smile:
Original post by Rosehc
Disagree. I'm in my second year of a BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma in Applied Science and I would not say that it has been an easy subject. Everything we learn is A level standard, we get one chance to submit work and if you don't get it right you don't get the grades, the amount of coursework is mentally very draining and full on and they have even introduced exams as well. So I totally disagree that BTECs are the easy route you'd be very surprised at the level of work which is done in my class

I agree with you actually, when I told people people that I was doing BTEC they all claimed to be jealous because no exams and all that but I miss exams believe it or not. I'm up to my neck with coursework staying long up long hours it is very draining. I'm so close to the end of my deadline and I still have a lot to give in, RIP me.
Coming to the end of my first year on Level 3 Media Journalism. Hate it. I am constantly bored. Our classes consist of getting told an essay topic and then a hand in date and we are left to it. I'm hoping to return to A Levels in September since I really ain't going to get anywhere with this course.
I think it's still wrong that A Level students look down those who do do BTEC's some are really complex and involve a lot of in class work as well as work placements. I am still reluctant to tell people I am doing a BTEC. All of those in my class are defiantly A Level worthy, some have even done A Levels before and others are off to university at the end of the year anyway since my course is a 1/2 option one.
Original post by holly1798
Coming to the end of my first year on Level 3 Media Journalism. Hate it. I am constantly bored. Our classes consist of getting told an essay topic and then a hand in date and we are left to it. I'm hoping to return to A Levels in September since I really ain't going to get anywhere with this course.
I think it's still wrong that A Level students look down those who do do BTEC's some are really complex and involve a lot of in class work as well as work placements. I am still reluctant to tell people I am doing a BTEC. All of those in my class are defiantly A Level worthy, some have even done A Levels before and others are off to university at the end of the year anyway since my course is a 1/2 option one.

Do an Access to HE Diploma. It's a one-year course designed to get you into university by the end of it. If you are looking to switch from BTEC, it really makes no sense to do a further two years of A-Level. If you are looking to get into uni, the course is for you.
Original post by callum_law
Do an Access to HE Diploma. It's a one-year course designed to get you into university by the end of it. If you are looking to switch from BTEC, it really makes no sense to do a further two years of A-Level. If you are looking to get into uni, the course is for you.

I did look at that briefly. There just wasn't anywhere local on the website that offers that diploma. I think I would rather go back to A levels anyway :smile:
Original post by MarikaGogo
A-level is kind of superior if you think about it, I am taking BTEC but that's because it was really my last resort. A-levels allow you to get into the top of the top universities, most of the good unis won't accept BTEC because, well as far as I'm concerned with my science course, it really don't test your knowledge at all. You can be stupid as and still pass because it's mostly based on coursework. That being said all you have to do is google for the answer and change the words around a bit lol. A-levels really give you an indepth learning, a change to test you knowledge with exams, however I believe that for people doing more practical work like engineering like yourself, or forensic science, it's a lot better to do BTEC because it's more hands-on experience if you get what I mean :smile:

95% of universities in the UK accept BTEC
I do three A2s - English Lit, Politics, History - all of them are tough, and ive had 9 exams during May and June (includes 3 modules from AS; resits)

I personally don't think that Id be in a position to comment on the difficulty of a BTEC as I haven't sat one (just like the majority of those saying alevels are harder), and in the end: why the hell does it matter if one is harder than the other?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by yt7777
95% of universities in the UK accept BTEC

Yeah but they're not the best are they? If they are they require proper top grades in BTEC like D*D*D which is impossible if you're the type of slack off.
Yeah but they're not the best are they? If they are they require proper top grades in BTEC like D*D*D which is impossible if you're the type of slack off.

It depends on the course really, for example Oxford list their conditional offer for Computer Science as DDD in BTEC Information Technology + A* in Maths A level, Cambridge accept BTEC Engineering also with Maths for their General Engineering degree, however you will struggle to get into ANY uni for something like History or English with a BTEC as they are not subjects that suggest a vocational nature, whereas things like Computing, Engineering, Business etc are.

I dont know, i got D*D*D* but i worked really hard, and im now at a good uni studying Computer Science, IMO if you're gonna slack off you dont really deserve to get a good uni place.

Not really, some colleges don't even have plagiarism procedures in place. You can easily plagiarize work if you attend somewhere crap. Someone on my course achieved D*D*D, plagiarized his entire first year, and majority of second year. Some places take more regard into the students they produce, so in some circumstances a MP/MM grade student can easily be on par with a D*D*D* student. Unlike A-level, you can't really accurately predict a students performance by the grades attained. Personally I think universities should ask for a copy of their module from either the student or the institution they attended.
Original post by Rosehc
Disagree. I'm in my second year of a BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma in Applied Science and I would not say that it has been an easy subject. Everything we learn is A level standard, we get one chance to submit work and if you don't get it right you don't get the grades, the amount of coursework is mentally very draining and full on and they have even introduced exams as well. So I totally disagree that BTECs are the easy route you'd be very surprised at the level of work which is done in my class

What sorts of things do you cover out of curiosity?
Original post by yt7777
It depends on the course really, for example Oxford list their conditional offer for Computer Science as DDD in BTEC Information Technology + A* in Maths A level, Cambridge accept BTEC Engineering also with Maths for their General Engineering degree, however you will struggle to get into ANY uni for something like History or English with a BTEC as they are not subjects that suggest a vocational nature, whereas things like Computing, Engineering, Business etc are.

I dont know, i got D*D*D* but i worked really hard, and im now at a good uni studying Computer Science, IMO if you're gonna slack off you dont really deserve to get a good uni place.

Yeah you can get into good Unis no doubt with BTEC but what I mean is like if you're not aiming high, then you won't get very far. Same with science, I was planning to do Medical science at uni with BTEC but to be honest, the offers were at DDD and I know myself I'd probably get a DMM or DDM at the most. However science is one of the most competitive courses out there so anyone with an A-level at A*A*A* can easily ruin your chances :frown: Oh well ey
Original post by Binary Freak
Not really, some colleges don't even have plagiarism procedures in place. You can easily plagiarize work if you attend somewhere crap. Someone on my course achieved D*D*D, plagiarized his entire first year, and majority of second year. Some places take more regard into the students they produce, so in some circumstances a MP/MM grade student can easily be on par with a D*D*D* student. Unlike A-level, you can't really accurately predict a students performance by the grades attained. Personally I think universities should ask for a copy of their module from either the student or the institution they attended.

Well clearly your tutors on your course handled the situation stupidly. A tutor/teacher w.e should be able to recognize plagiarism straight away. In my college, believe it or not isn't even in the top range they always put our work through plagiarism checker, that is the procedure all colleges with BTEC courses should do... I agree BTEC doesn't allow you you to see to what extent a student can perform because it is mostly based on coursework, not testing their knowledge. But it also depends on the uni course too.
Well clearly your tutors on your course handled the situation stupidly. A tutor/teacher w.e should be able to recognize plagiarism straight away. In my college, believe it or not isn't even in the top range they always put our work through plagiarism checker, that is the procedure all colleges with BTEC courses should do... I agree BTEC doesn't allow you you to see to what extent a student can perform because it is mostly based on coursework, not testing their knowledge. But it also depends on the uni course too.

I think you misinterpreted, we have plagiarism procedures in place, first is turnitin, work doesn't get touched unless he sees the similarity check, and they're more than competent recognizing plagiarism. I'm talking about on my uni course, not college course. I overheard him mention he plagiarized the majority of his college work.
just banter tbh
Yeah you can get into good Unis no doubt with BTEC but what I mean is like if you're not aiming high, then you won't get very far. Same with science, I was planning to do Medical science at uni with BTEC but to be honest, the offers were at DDD and I know myself I'd probably get a DMM or DDM at the most. However science is one of the most competitive courses out there so anyone with an A-level at A*A*A* can easily ruin your chances :frown: Oh well ey

You can get into Cambridge with a BTEC and A level.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending