The Student Room Group

PSYA3: How can this be used as AO1?

These notes have been supplied by my teacher, I don't see how they can be used as AO1? Since they're in the form of P.E.E statements.
img025.jpg
Reply 1
Original post by dominicwild
These notes have been supplied by my teacher, I don't see how they can be used as AO1? Since they're in the form of P.E.E statements.

AO1 is about getting the facts and theories in; AO2/3 involves analysis, evaluation, and discussion. Those notes wouldn't count as AO2 as there is no discussion, I.e. - the studies haven't be evaluated and there is no mention of why the supporting studies are effective or not in backing up the theory/idea.

For studies to be counted as AO2 you need to say what they contribute to the discussion (e.g. 'this study supports...by showing....'). If this isn't done the material would count as AO1, like in the notes.

This website summarises it well, if you haven't seen it already:
http://www.loopa.co.uk/understanding-ao1-ao2-ao3-for-aqa-psychology/
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Davalla
AO1 is about getting the facts and theories in; AO2/3 involves analysis, evaluation, and discussion. Those notes wouldn't count as AO2 as there is no discussion, I.e. - the studies haven't be evaluated and there is no mention of why the supporting studies are effective or not in backing up the theory/idea.

For studies to be counted as AO2 you need to say what they contribute to the discussion (e.g. 'this study supports...by showing....':wink:. If this isn't done the material would count as AO1, like in the notes.

You do not understand how much youve save me from panicking I was thinking and worrying about similar thing except I'm doing aggression and was worried because I was using research studies for ao1
Reply 3
Original post by em211997
You do not understand how much youve save me from panicking I was thinking and worrying about similar thing except I'm doing aggression and was worried because I was using research studies for ao1

:wink:
Sorry its sideways and highlighted but how would I ensure that this is clearly ao1 as its studies.
Original post by Davalla
:wink:

Sorry that was meant for you.
Reply 6
Original post by em211997
Sorry its sideways and highlighted but how would I ensure that this is clearly ao1 as its studies.

Seeing as AO2 requires evaluation and implications, just outline what they did and found. Example: Mullen analysed newspaper cuttings to find a positive correlation between the number of participants involved in lynching and the brutality of the act. I've shortened that down a bit, but seeing as you would be using research to describe the explanation and not using research to directly support the explanation (if you added something like 'Mullen supported the concept of de-individualisation by___ ', this would become an AO2 piece because there is quite literally a thin line), it would have to count as AO1.

Following this then you could have an AO2 paragraph to evaluate the AO1 study: 'An advantage of Mullen's research is ___', and so on.

Always aim to have at least one point of AO2 for every study that you mention, regardless of whether it's used for outlining or supporting/conflicting.
Original post by Davalla
Seeing as AO2 requires evaluation and implications, just outline what they did and found. Example: Mullen analysed newspaper cuttings to find a positive correlation between the number of participants involved in lynching and the brutality of the act. I've shortened that down a bit, but seeing as you would be using research to describe the explanation and not using research to directly support the explanation (if you added something like 'Mullen supported the concept of de-individualisation by___ ', this would become an AO2 piece because there is quite literally a thin line), it would have to count as AO1.

Following this then you could have an AO2 paragraph to evaluate the AO1 study: 'An advantage of Mullen's research is ___', and so on.

Always aim to have at least one point of AO2 for every study that you mention, regardless of whether it's used for outlining or supporting/conflicting.

Again thank you so so so much you don't know how much you helped me:yes:ive screenshotted this and will use it for my revision 👍👍

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by Davalla

For studies to be counted as AO2 you need to say what they contribute to the discussion (e.g. 'this study supports...by showing....':wink:. If this isn't done the material would count as AO1, like in the notes.

I've seen a variant of the P.E.E structure, adding an extra E to the end. Standing for extension, which meant some suggestion to the way the research could be improved.

So for instance, [study] has low ecological validity. Therefore damaging the support it has for [theory]. A study similar to this could be conducted as a field experiment, which would then provide support for [theory].

Would that be valid AO2?
Reply 9
Original post by dominicwild
I've seen a variant of the P.E.E structure, adding an extra E to the end. Standing for extension, which meant some suggestion to the way the research could be improved.

So for instance, [study] has low ecological validity. Therefore damaging the support it has for [theory]. A study similar to this could be conducted as a field experiment, which would then provide support for [theory].

Would that be valid AO2?

Absolutely. Any sort of indication of a strength or weakness and/or suggestions of how the validity & reliability of a study can be improved would be valid AO2.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending