The Student Room Group

TSR Christian Society (X-SOC) Episode IV: A New Hope

Scroll to see replies

Original post by greeneyedgirl
I don't fast, already got a complicated enough relationship with food without limiting it further. I think personally things like fasting from using your laptop or your phone would probably help relationship with God better.

Yes, fasting traditionally means putting aside food but more recently fasting can mean giving something else up as you have said, like something you depend on too much rather than spending time with God, meditating on God, seeking God for a time of refreshment and deeper relationship :smile:

Its like lent, you can give something up or take something new on, it works either way.
I believe in one God, the Father Almighty, Maker of heaven and earth, and of all things visible and invisible;

And in one Lord, Jesus Christ, the Son of God, the Only-begotten, begotten of the Father before all ages; Light of Light, true God of true God; begotten, not made; being of one essence with the Father; by Whom all things were made;

Who for us men, and for our salvation, came down from the Heavens, and was incarnate of the Holy Spirit and the Virgin Mary, and became man;

And was crucified for us under Pontius Pilate, suffered and was buried;

And arose again on the third day according to the Scriptures;

And ascended into the Heavens, and sitteth at the right hand of the Father;

And shall come again, with glory, to judge both the living and the dead; Whose Kingdom shall have no end;

And in the Holy Spirit, the Lord, the Giver of life; Who proceedeth from the Father; Who with the Father and the Son together is worshipped and glorified; Who spake by the Prophets;

In One, Holy, Catholic, and Apostolic Church.

I confess one baptism for the remission of sins.

I look for the resurrection fo the dead,

And the life of the age to come. Amen.

When this creed was developed, they didn't leave much out did they?!

Posted from TSR Mobile
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5bKa92eLkQM

This is an incredible video by some of the most influential Christians today on the questions of Genesis.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Supermonkey92
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5bKa92eLkQM

This is an incredible video by some of the most influential Christians today on the questions of Genesis.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Interesting - thanks.

:smile:
So what's the denomination ratio of Christians here?

Many Catholics or Anglicans?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Racoon
Interesting - thanks.

No problem.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
:hi: Welcome! I'm Shan, resident badly-behaved Catholic :jebus: Do make yourself at home, and thanks for reminding me of that prayer :h:

Hi Shan hope you are well.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Racoon
A jihadist was left for dead near the Eastern border of Syria where he was rescued by Christian missionaries from the region...

http://beforeitsnews.com/christian-news/2015/02/isis-fighter-converts-to-christianity-after-god-sent-him-straight-to-hell-2509708.html

Praise God and bless those Christians who are, as it says in Mathew, being the salt of the earth.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi Shan hope you are well.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm good thanks! How are you? To answer your other question, it's mainly Anglicans in here (there's a separate Cath Soc for all the Catholic banter) but it's very much ecumenical, so no hating on any denominations allowed, etc :h:
I'm good thanks! How are you? To answer your other question, it's mainly Anglicans in here (there's a separate Cath Soc for all the Catholic banter) but it's very much ecumenical, so no hating on any denominations allowed, etc :h:

Im good thanks. Well i do love the Anglican and Catholic faiths! and it's important and great to hear that denominations get on so well.

I see you are Catholic? Did you see the Pope when he came over a few years ago?
Last exam tomorrow guys. Gods,, I am so worried, because my performance in tomorrow's exam will either make or break my Cambridge offer.

Wish us luck boys - we'll need it.
Original post by Ser Alex Toyne
Last exam tomorrow guys. Gods,, I am so worried, because my performance in tomorrow's exam will either make or break my Cambridge offer.

Don't be worried, praying that God will see you through and give you peace - Phillipians 4:6-7.
Good luck! :smile:
Original post by Ser Alex Toyne

Good luck.
Reply 5013
When this creed was developed, they didn't leave much out did they?!

They left our the actual receiving of the New Life as experienced and preached by all the original church as receiving salvation!

"they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues*, as the Spirit gave them utterance ... Therefore being by the right hand of God exalted, and having received of the Father the promise of the Holy Ghost, he hath shed forth this, which ye now see and hear ... the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the Lord our God shall call." (Acts 2:34, 33, 39; 10:44-48)

"he saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost;
Which he shed on us abundantly through Jesus Christ our Saviour"
(Titus 3:5-6)

* unlearned prayer language - 1 Corinthians 14:2, 4, 14-21, Isaiah 28:11-12
(edited 8 years ago)
Im good thanks. Well i do love the Anglican and Catholic faiths! and it's important and great to hear that denominations get on so well.

I see you are Catholic? Did you see the Pope when he came over a few years ago?

Yes, I was in Hyde Park when the Pope came! A friend got me a ticket :biggrin: It was a bit of a surreal experience :eek:
Original post by NJA
They left our the actual receiving of the New Life as experienced and preached by all the original church as receiving salvation!

"they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues*, as the Spirit gave them utterance ... Therefore being by the right hand of God exalted, and having received of the Father the promise of the Holy Ghost, he hath shed forth this, which ye now see and hear ... the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the Lord our God shall call." (Acts 2:34, 33, 39; 10:44-48)

"he saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost;
Which he shed on us abundantly through Jesus Christ our Saviour"
(Titus 3:5-6)

* unlearned prayer language - 1 Corinthians 14:2, 4, 14-21, Isaiah 28:11-12

Appreciate the information brother.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yes, I was in Hyde Park when the Pope came! A friend got me a ticket :biggrin: It was a bit of a surreal experience :eek:

It must have been very joyful for you, but I must say I feel that the new pope has been a breath of fresh air. Although I was too young to really appreciate John Paul, it seems he was just amazing.

Posted from TSR Mobile
It must have been very joyful for you, but I must say I feel that the new pope has been a breath of fresh air. Although I was too young to really appreciate John Paul, it seems he was just amazing.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Haha, I was not a Benedict fan at all, much as I respect him and his opinions :colondollar: HUGE Papa Frankie fan though! :awesome: Also of John Paul II :five:
Some great sermons for anyone wanting something to listen to today for encouragement :smile:

https://www.htb.org/media/expect-expected-staying-alive-ken-costa
Jesus walked in his ministry with the Holy Spirit - Luke 4:14

And Jesus returned to Galilee in the power of the Spirit, and news about Him spread through all the surrounding district

Jesus was raised back to life by the Holy Spirit - Romans 8:11

But if the Spirit of Him who raised Jesus from the dead dwells in you, He who raised Christ Jesus from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies through His Spirit who dwells in you

We are God's adopted children through the gift of the Holy Spirit in our lives - Romans 8:15

For you have not received a spirit of slavery leading to fear again, but you have received a spirit of adoption as sons by which we cry out, "Abba! Father!

(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending