The Student Room Group

St George's Medicine Applicants 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by hobib
I'm thinking of applying to st georges for med this year, I was wondering if you could advise me on entry requirements, i think ill get abbb/aabb this year for AS (not great i know ill probably end up taking a gap year I'm well aware), which is why i was considering retaking. I now they consider modular resists, but would those grades put me at a big disadvantage even though i have good gcses/ if i was predicted AAA? My schools not eligible to any schemes. Also, would dropping chemistry at A level be a bad idea?

No disadvantage at all if you apply here with those AS grades.

Probably a disadvantage at a lot of other med schools though, similarly dropping chem will put you at a big disadvantage when applying.
Anybody got the Medical forms we have to fill in? I emailed the admissions office but they said I should have them by now, although I can't find them in the link attached
Is anyone able to access the next steps page yet? It's supposed to be live today but it is brining up a log in screen.
Reply 2463
Original post by Psyromayniak
Is anyone able to access the next steps page yet? It's supposed to be live today but it is brining up a log in screen.

i was confused about that as well. the newsletter they sent us said this though
"Information booklets and forms will be available for download on the Admissions microsite by the end of this week i.e. Friday 12 June. Admissions will be e-mailing all applicants a covering letter which will include a link to the microsite. Applicants will be required to return all documentation requested by no later than Friday 10 July, so keep an eye on your inbox and junk mail folder."
Original post by Psyromayniak

the link is working now :smile:
I don't even want to apply for accommodation or do any of the next step things because after that ocr chemistry exam its nearby impossible for me to get an A now and this will just make me depressed even more
Does anyone know how long St George's waiting list is? Are there many people on it?

Because they'll only let me in if they have spaces, and they never do..
Original post by Nucleotide
I don't even want to apply for accommodation or do any of the next step things because after that ocr chemistry exam its nearby impossible for me to get an A now and this will just make me depressed even more

dont be depressed , I did my exams in may (ib child) and I feel the exact way , in facr after finishing my first eaxm , I was like , what the point of life any more , and my chemisrry exam , lol! , It was written in some other language the examiners probablt thought I was crazy because I was smiling hysterically after opening the paper because I knew I was screwed, i literally guessed every single question anyway , not going to preach don't let that get you down , everyone else is feeling the same way , chin up and look at the point when you finish all your exams and you can push this under the table until you get your results

it sounds so generic but I hope this helps
(chemistry destroyed me as well :smile: no joke )
[QUOTE=Mallory;56883985]dont be depressed , I did my exams in may (ib child) and I feel the exact way , in facr after finishing my first eaxm , I was like , what the point of life any more , and my chemisrry exam , lol! , It was written in some other language the examiners probablt thought I was crazy because I was smiling hysterically after opening the paper because I knew I was screwed, i literally guessed every single question anyway , not going to preach don't let that get you down , everyone else is feeling the same way , chin up and look at the point when you finish all your exams and you can push this under the table until you get your results

it sounds so generic but I hope this helps
(chemistry destroyed me as well :smile: no joke )

I know what you're saying aha

But arghh I really just want to go and grovel to Micki Regan (admissions lady) and tell her that this one disproportionately tough paper literally ruined my entire A level. Thank god it's not just me who feels this paper was really disgusting - did you see the Twitter reactions? They made me feel better because they were funny aha
Original post by H0psin
I got AABB last year, I currently have an offer from St Georges from the waiting list and had an Interview at Newcastle (very similar to Durham in terms of standards) so my advice is go for it! :smile:

Hi, I just wanted to ask, did your teachers predict you all A grades? And what kind of other things did you do e.g. voluntary service, work experience etc?
Guys am I missing something here?

I've applied for accommodation but I haven't had confirmation that I've got a room - is that the case with everyone?

Also I've registered but not submitted the DBS thing like Micki told us

Got the health questionnaire and vaccinations from gp too

Is that all that's required?
Guys am I missing something here?

I've applied for accommodation but I haven't had confirmation that I've got a room - is that the case with everyone?

Also I've registered but not submitted the DBS thing like Micki told us

Got the health questionnaire and vaccinations from gp too

Is that all that's required?

Yup sounds right!
I know what you're saying aha

But arghh I really just want to go and grovel to Micki Regan (admissions lady) and tell her that this one disproportionately tough paper literally ruined my entire A level. Thank god it's not just me who feels this paper was really disgusting - did you see the Twitter reactions? They made me feel better because they were funny aha

athul?
Original post by hukdealz
athul?

whats Athul?
Can anyone please answer these questions :smile:

What unusual questions do they ask you at interview?

What AS Grades are good to get an interview at least?
I'm hoping for AAAb but I don't know if I'll get that. Would they accept something like ABBb

thanks!! :biggrin:
Original post by Bloom77
Can anyone please answer these questions :smile:

What unusual questions do they ask you at interview?

What AS Grades are good to get an interview at least?
I'm hoping for AAAb but I don't know if I'll get that. Would they accept something like ABBb

thanks!! :biggrin:

You're guaranteed a interview if you meet their requirements on their website. For unusual questions then didn't really ask one this year.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2476
Original post by CherryTea
Hi, I just wanted to ask, did your teachers predict you all A grades? And what kind of other things did you do e.g. voluntary service, work experience etc?

Sorry just read this as I was on holiday.
Yeah they predicted all A's for me, even if you are originally predicted a B as I was in my third subject you should go and tell the subject teacher that for a medical course you need AAA and they should be happy to predict you an A, also my school is very strict with predictions anyway so it really shouldn't be a problem to make it up to AAA if you get a little lower.

I did two weeks work experience, a week in a GPs practice and a week in a local hospital in the emergency department. I did my volunteering work in a few youth groups as well, only one of which was medical related. As long as you have enough to write a good personal statement you should be fine!

Hope this is useful and good luck in the future!
Reply 2477
whats Athul?

The dealer at Georges, stay away from him he's bad news. Just mentioning his name can get you banned from SGUL for life.
Original post by H0psin
The dealer at Georges, stay away from him he's bad news. Just mentioning his name can get you banned from SGUL for life.

Lol that can't be right?
Original post by H0psin
Sorry just read this as I was on holiday.
Yeah they predicted all A's for me, even if you are originally predicted a B as I was in my third subject you should go and tell the subject teacher that for a medical course you need AAA and they should be happy to predict you an A, also my school is very strict with predictions anyway so it really shouldn't be a problem to make it up to AAA if you get a little lower.

I did two weeks work experience, a week in a GPs practice and a week in a local hospital in the emergency department. I did my volunteering work in a few youth groups as well, only one of which was medical related. As long as you have enough to write a good personal statement you should be fine!

Hope this is useful and good luck in the future!

Plurals don't have apostrophes

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending