The Student Room Group

How to build up super-curricular profile for Classics?

Hi,
I would like to study Classics at university (maybe Oxbridge) - what type of things should I be reading/doing? Do you have any book recommendations? Any good documentaries to watch/places to go?
Also, what should I put on the personal statement?
It would be particularly useful if you study/studied classics and could offer some advice! :smile: Thanks in advance

Scroll to see replies

Yo! I'm not a uni classics student, but I suggest volunteering at a museum if they have any classics stuff, seeing if there are any outreach programmes in your local community that you can volunteer with, writing your EPQ on something classical, reading the Iliad/Aeneid/Odyssey if you're not doing so in class (I assume you're taking either Greek or Latin A Level?)... Most of my book recommendations are things like Augustus by Pat Southern or Ancient Rome by Pamela Bradley because I read them through my EPQ research, so sorry I can't really be of help there. And of course, if you can go to Rome or Athens that would be great, but it's in no way necessary!
Original post by Phoebus Apollo
Hi,
I would like to study Classics at university (maybe Oxbridge) - what type of things should I be reading/doing? Do you have any book recommendations? Any good documentaries to watch/places to go?
Also, what should I put on the personal statement?
It would be particularly useful if you study/studied classics and could offer some advice! :smile: Thanks in advance

Hi there! I studied classics at college and have applied for it at uni! I would recommend Mary Beard's 'Caligula' documentary and the like, also books by Susan Woodford. There are loads of other documentaries on YouTube that you can watch, they're really informative! But I am not an Oxbridge candidate unfortunately, however the principles of the application are the same so best of luck!
Just read loads of Classics stuff; don't bother with museums for the application if you don't do it already as a hobby.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by yabbayabba
Just read loads of Classics stuff; don't bother with museums for the application if you don't do it already as a hobby.

Posted from TSR Mobile

There's way more to it than museums.
Original post by Clytaemnestra
There's way more to it than museums.

Alright chill. Lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Alright chill. Lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

I just feel a bit insulted by what you said tbh. Like unless you've studied it, you can't really say "visit museums", there's a lot more to it :smile:
Original post by roarchika
Yo! I'm not a uni classics student, but I suggest volunteering at a museum if they have any classics stuff, seeing if there are any outreach programmes in your local community that you can volunteer with, writing your EPQ on something classical, reading the Iliad/Aeneid/Odyssey if you're not doing so in class (I assume you're taking either Greek or Latin A Level?)... Most of my book recommendations are things like Augustus by Pat Southern or Ancient Rome by Pamela Bradley because I read them through my EPQ research, so sorry I can't really be of help there. And of course, if you can go to Rome or Athens that would be great, but it's in no way necessary!

Hey, thanks so much for your reply and all the useful information! Yep, I'm doing Latin A level and am currently reading the Aeneid. I am actually taking an EPQ, and I'm in a bit of a dilemma about it - to cut a long story short I was originally applying for medicine, but after deciding after work experience that medicine isn't for me I switched to classics (which is what I truly love). However, before this I had chosen an EPQ topic which was related to medicine. My supervisor has allowed me to change my topic and I am having a meeting with her later this week - but I'm really not sure what to do it on! Admittedly I'm not terribly knowledgeable on the classical world (mainly because my school doesn't offer classical civ and I was originally applying for medicine so had done lots of wider reading on medicine rather than classics - but obviously I am currently trying to widen my classical knowledge! :smile: ) so I would be grateful for some advice on some topics I could discuss? I really enjoy greek/roman mythology/philosphy/culture and I wouldn't even mind doing it on a certain greek/roman figure - but I really don't know where to start!
Thanks again in advance
Hi there! I studied classics at college and have applied for it at uni! I would recommend Mary Beard's 'Caligula' documentary and the like, also books by Susan Woodford. There are loads of other documentaries on YouTube that you can watch, they're really informative! But I am not an Oxbridge candidate unfortunately, however the principles of the application are the same so best of luck!

thanks so much! I will check out the books and documentaries :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Okay, thank you! Do you have any particular recommendations? :smile:
Hey, thanks so much for your reply and all the useful information! Yep, I'm doing Latin A level and am currently reading the Aeneid. I am actually taking an EPQ, and I'm in a bit of a dilemma about it - to cut a long story short I was originally applying for medicine, but after deciding after work experience that medicine isn't for me I switched to classics (which is what I truly love). However, before this I had chosen an EPQ topic which was related to medicine. My supervisor has allowed me to change my topic and I am having a meeting with her later this week - but I'm really not sure what to do it on! Admittedly I'm not terribly knowledgeable on the classical world (mainly because my school doesn't offer classical civ and I was originally applying for medicine so had done lots of wider reading on medicine rather than classics - but obviously I am currently trying to widen my classical knowledge! :smile: ) so I would be grateful for some advice on some topics I could discuss? I really enjoy greek/roman mythology/philosphy/culture and I wouldn't even mind doing it on a certain greek/roman figure - but I really don't know where to start!
Thanks again in advance

I enjoy the same! Really into art and architecture, religious culture and mythology. So is it classics you were thinking of or Classical Civilisation? I've applied for Classical Civilisation at uni :smile: I just love classics haha! Latin or Greek wasn't offered to me at A Level, how are you finding it? I've read the Odyssey and really loved it :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
@Lucilou101 This thread might interest you :smile:
I enjoy the same! Really into art and architecture, religious culture and mythology. So is it classics you were thinking of or Classical Civilisation? I've applied for Classical Civilisation :smile: I just love classics haha!

Classics! :smile: So are you in year 13? Did you do an EPQ? I'm panicking a bit about it because I feel so lost... :frown:
I just feel a bit insulted by what you said tbh. Like unless you've studied it, you can't really say "visit museums", there's a lot more to it :smile:

Why? My post didn't state or even imply that visiting museums was the *only* thing you could do, just one of many. Feel insulted all you like, but I didn't say anything rude. I was being helpful. Sheesh :rolleyes:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Okay, thank you! Do you have any particular recommendations? :smile:

I'm not a classicist so I can't direct you specifically bookwise. But for your PS if you can pick some 'obscure' work, that most candidates are unlikely to mention, and say something intelligent about it, then it'll make your PS stand out more :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Classics! :smile: So are you in year 13? Did you do an EPQ? I'm panicking a bit about it because I feel so lost... :frown:

Just finished year 13 :smile: I'm not sure what one of those is but if you're considering Oxbridge then you clearly know what you're doing :smile: I got 5 offers for my application before I had to reject some for my firm so any questions please ask! I've applied to study classics with English lit so I've had to balance it :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Thanks again in advance

It's no problem! I'm also doing Latin A Level \(^O^. If you like the Aeneid you could do a comparison with the Iliad? Or maybe you could look at the heroes of the two and the sort of exemplification of their pietas and why that was relevant to Rome at the time? I'm writing my EPQ on the Augustan Marriage Reforms because when I was choosing my topic I was deciding between history/law/classics, so if you want someone to bounce ideas off of I'm up for it! Relating any sort of classical literature to something else, or drawing comparisons with the modern day, is always fun to research. Ummmm, let's see.... you could look at the classical position on same-sex relations, too? You've got to make sure you're analysing, not giving a narrative, though.
I'm not a classicist so I can't direct you specifically bookwise. But for your PS if you can pick some 'obscure' work, that most candidates are unlikely to mention, and say something intelligent about it, then it'll make your PS stand out more :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you! :biggrin:
Just finished year 13 :smile: I'm not sure what one of those is but if you're considering Oxbridge then you clearly know what you're doing :smile: I got 5 offers for my application before I had to reject some for my firm so any questions please ask! I've applied to study classics with English lit so I've had to balance it :smile:

Cool, I've just finished year 12 and am going into year 13 :smile: EPQ is where you research a topic independently - this might be answering a question - and you log all your sources and track your progress. Wow, well done on 5 offers! :biggrin: What type of stuff did you put on your personal statement (for the classics side)? :smile:
Original post by roarchika
It's no problem! I'm also doing Latin A Level \(^O^. If you like the Aeneid you could do a comparison with the Iliad? Or maybe you could look at the heroes of the two and the sort of exemplification of their pietas and why that was relevant to Rome at the time? I'm writing my EPQ on the Augustan Marriage Reforms because when I was choosing my topic I was deciding between history/law/classics, so if you want someone to bounce ideas off of I'm up for it! Relating any sort of classical literature to something else, or drawing comparisons with the modern day, is always fun to research. Ummmm, let's see.... you could look at the classical position on same-sex relations, too? You've got to make sure you're analysing, not giving a narrative, though.

The Aeneid comparison with the Iliad sounds like a good idea! The only problem is I'm still reading the Aeneid and have not begun the Iliad so I am worried I may not have time :frown: I like the idea of drawing comparisons with the modern day - I was actually thinking of doing, 'How has the quest for immortality driven modern and ancient civilisations?' which was inspired by a book I read about - I thought I would talk about how today we want physical immortality (i.e. there's lots of research for greater human longevity, anti-aging, cryogenics etc) but in the past they tried to achieve *metaphorical* immortality through their philosophy, art, literature and the spread of the Roman empire ...but I'm really not sure about this because I worry it will be a weak topic to discuss with no clear direction/analysis? The same-sex relations sounds good too! Are there any other comparisons with modern day you can think of? :smile: Thank you so much!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending