The Student Room Group

How I lost 50 Kg in 6 month. (around 110 pounds)

Hi,

This is going to be a really long post about my story with the weight issues I had. Basically I am 18 years old now, I went down from 136.5 Kg down to 86 in 6 month. I am writing this in the hopes that it would ignite the fire of change in someone who has similar circumstances as I did. below is my story.

So, 6 month ago, my scale read the highest it has ever read, a stunning 136.5 Kg... I remember this time like it was yesterday. I had so many health problems that I honestly thought I wouldn't make it to my 18th birthday. My blood pressure was constantly in the 160-180 range (The normal is 120). My glucose level (unsurprisingly) was always over the roof. Also, very simple tasks like tying my shoe laces would leave me panting like crazy and gasping for air. At night, things didn't get any better, I couldn't sleep except in one certain pose because all that fat was pressuring on my heart and lungs and made me feel like I was choking. My knees were constantly doing weird noises and hurt me whenever I sat for prolonged times. Bottom line was that my health was absolutely **** to say the least.

Socially, it was also horrible, most people constantly teased me in an effort to urge me to lose weight (Which surprisingly doesn't work). I also really liked this girl a lot and after an eternity of building up courage to ask her, I was brutally turned down (And Yes she mentioned my weight when turning me down :biggrin:, even though she "likes my personality" ). Although my friends always supported me no matter what, they always tried to urge me to lose weight.

Like any obese/overweight person, I tried a gazillion different diets and "secret detox" methods which failed miserably for only one reason. I did not have the right mind set for loosing weight. Did I want to loose weight? HELL YES. Did I understand what it took to loose and keep off all that weight? NO... That is when I realized that I needed something more than get the right diet. I needed to change my thinking about nutrition, exercise, and my view on my lifestyle overall.

I am not going to lie, when I first started six month ago, my first goal was to lose the weight for that girl. I wanted to lose weight so she would accept me. Now I am not saying that you should lose weight for your crush or your BF/GF but it was definitely what ignited my change. At that time I couldn't exercise at all due to my weight so I just stuck to changing my diet eliminating all sodas and fizzy drinks/junk oily foods. Also, I started eating only green food with some proteins. This was enough for me to lose the first 15 Kg. By that time, I started feeling less pressure when sleeping and my health generally got better. In addition, I was able to start exercising so I started walking on the treadmill every two days for an hour. By the time I hit 20 kg off, I was determined that this weight was going to be off forever.

By this time, I started digging the internet on articles and information about nutrition and health in general, I became obsessed with what I put in my body and would eat according to fixed proportions. I also started hitting the iron-bars gym that has all the iron tools and I started doing low weights high number of reps to build some muscles but not too much. I followed this lifestyle till I hit 40 Kg off. Then I started increasing the weights to start building muscle mass and I started increasing the proteins intake in my diet while maintaining the green food. Of course, I would occasionally crumble and binge eat but I made sure there was healthy good tasting food in the house to binge eat on (Like eat 10 bars of Caramel flavored oatmeal bars), or sometimes enjoy some chocolates and sweets as a change. But overall, I maintained this life style till I reached the 50 Kg off goal in the 6 month.

So to recap quickly (or the too long didn't read version)
1) Gave up on fizzy drinks, chips, oily food, junk food in general and started eating any healthy food.
2) Once I lost enough weight to be able to exercise, I started walking on the treadmill and switched to green food (there is plenty of DELICIOUS green food recipes on the internet, so dig them and get creative)
3) after loosing more weight and my body starting to shape properly, I hit the iron gym and started lifting light weights for many reps. That and maintaining the green food.
4) After my body started to look, normal/a little bit chubby, I started increasing the weight to build a greater muscle mass. while still eating green.

So here I am 6 month later, 50 kg off, blood pressure back to normal, glucose level average, and can sleep however I want. top size dropped from 4 XL to L. As for the girl, well sometime during my journey I decided that someone who doesn't accept me and support me in any state I am in isn't worth asking :smile:

I really hope I ignited the spark in anyone with similar circumstances, If I can, you Can too!!

I would love to answer any questions you have.

Scroll to see replies

That is amazing! Thank you so much for sharing this!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by AspiringCompSci
Hi,

This is going to be a really long post about my story with the weight issues I had. Basically I am 18 years old now, I went down from 136.5 Kg down to 86 in 6 month. I am writing this in the hopes that it would ignite the fire of change in someone who has similar circumstances as I did. below is my story.

So, 6 month ago, my scale read the highest it has ever read, a stunning 136.5 Kg... I remember this time like it was yesterday. I had so many health problems that I honestly thought I wouldn't make it to my 18th birthday. My blood pressure was constantly in the 160-180 range (The normal is 120). My glucose level (unsurprisingly) was always over the roof. Also, very simple tasks like tying my shoe laces would leave me panting like crazy and gasping for air. At night, things didn't get any better, I couldn't sleep except in one certain pose because all that fat was pressuring on my heart and lungs and made me feel like I was choking. My knees were constantly doing weird noises and hurt me whenever I sat for prolonged times. Bottom line was that my health was absolutely **** to say the least.

Socially, it was also horrible, most people constantly teased me in an effort to urge me to lose weight (Which surprisingly doesn't work). I also really liked this girl a lot and after an eternity of building up courage to ask her, I was brutally turned down (And Yes she mentioned my weight when turning me down :biggrin:, even though she "likes my personality" ). Although my friends always supported me no matter what, they always tried to urge me to lose weight.

Like any obese/overweight person, I tried a gazillion different diets and "secret detox" methods which failed miserably for only one reason. I did not have the right mind set for loosing weight. Did I want to loose weight? HELL YES. Did I understand what it took to loose and keep off all that weight? NO... That is when I realized that I needed something more than get the right diet. I needed to change my thinking about nutrition, exercise, and my view on my lifestyle overall.

I am not going to lie, when I first started six month ago, my first goal was to lose the weight for that girl. I wanted to lose weight so she would accept me. Now I am not saying that you should lose weight for your crush or your BF/GF but it was definitely what ignited my change. At that time I couldn't exercise at all due to my weight so I just stuck to changing my diet eliminating all sodas and fizzy drinks/junk oily foods. Also, I started eating only green food with some proteins. This was enough for me to lose the first 15 Kg. By that time, I started feeling less pressure when sleeping and my health generally got better. In addition, I was able to start exercising so I started walking on the treadmill every two days for an hour. By the time I hit 20 kg off, I was determined that this weight was going to be off forever.

By this time, I started digging the internet on articles and information about nutrition and health in general, I became obsessed with what I put in my body and would eat according to fixed proportions. I also started hitting the iron-bars gym that has all the iron tools and I started doing low weights high number of reps to build some muscles but not too much. I followed this lifestyle till I hit 40 Kg off. Then I started increasing the weights to start building muscle mass and I started increasing the proteins intake in my diet while maintaining the green food. Of course, I would occasionally crumble and binge eat but I made sure there was healthy good tasting food in the house to binge eat on (Like eat 10 bars of Caramel flavored oatmeal bars), or sometimes enjoy some chocolates and sweets as a change. But overall, I maintained this life style till I reached the 50 Kg off goal in the 6 month.

1) Gave up on fizzy drinks, chips, oily food, junk food in general and started eating any healthy food.
2) Once I lost enough weight to be able to exercise, I started walking on the treadmill and switched to green food (there is plenty of DELICIOUS green food recipes on the internet, so dig them and get creative)
3) after loosing more weight and my body starting to shape properly, I hit the iron gym and started lifting light weights for many reps. That and maintaining the green food.
4) After my body started to look, normal/a little bit chubby, I started increasing the weight to build a greater muscle mass. while still eating green.

So here I am 6 month later, 50 kg off, blood pressure back to normal, glucose level average, and can sleep however I want. top size dropped from 4 XL to L. As for the girl, well sometime during my journey I decided that someone who doesn't accept me and support me in any state I am in isn't worth asking :smile:

I really hope I ignited the spark in anyone with similar circumstances, If I can, you Can too!!

That's an incredible achievement, well done!! :h: and thats great that you stopped caring about the girl :smile: she seemed like a bitch anyway
What a great story, well done! Wish you all the best in your life, you'll be able to enjoy it a lot more now that you're so much healthier! :h:

I love this. Very true.

The fact that you said it like this, even if might not believe it fully, is good enough.

Never change yourself for someone. Change for yourself.
I will add that losing weight is one thing, maintaining weight loss is equally difficult.

The key thing to remember is that you must have developed some good habits throughout this. Don't forget those.

And keep striving for more. Whether that is personal or professional - if you keep your mind focused on something it is always easier.
Original post by mossysilver
That is amazing! Thank you so much for sharing this!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for reading :smile:

Original post by missaxo
That's an incredible achievement, well done!! :h: and thats great that you stopped caring about the girl :smile: she seemed like a bitch anyway

I wouldn't really call her a bitch. Everyone is entitled to love whoever he pleases and look for certain things in him/her. And although she was brutal in the way she rejected me when she could've easily said anything else (I have a bf, i like someone, etc), I still don't blame her that much. If she can't accept me for my shape, then maybe she was looking for a fit guy which I wasn't and this played an important aspect for her. As for me, I couldn't care less about the shape, after all, everyone grows old and what remains is what's inside right? :smile:

Original post by Heimdallr33
What a great story, well done! Wish you all the best in your life, you'll be able to enjoy it a lot more now that you're so much healthier! :h:

I definitely am! I am enjoying so many activities that I could've never imagined to do back then, its definitely a rewarding change for the best :smile:

Original post by Awesome Genius
I love this. Very true.

The fact that you said it like this, even if might not believe it fully, is good enough.

Never change yourself for someone. Change for yourself.

Couldn't have said it better :smile:

Original post by Awesome Genius
I will add that losing weight is one thing, maintaining weight loss is equally difficult.

The key thing to remember is that you must have developed some good habits throughout this. Don't forget those.

And keep striving for more. Whether that is personal or professional - if you keep your mind focused on something it is always easier.

Can't agree more with this. People often think that once they lose the weight they need, its back to the old lifestyle. This will just lead to gradual gain of the weight you already lost. The key is to keep focused on your target like you say.
I've lost 40lbs and need to lose 10lbs more to be a healthy weight, but you are indeed such amazing motivation! Congratulations and well done to you! How many "Woah jfc how much weight have you lost?" comments have you got? Those are the best motivators going. Did you get stretch marks? I have quite a lot and had loads to begin with, but I find as I lose more weight I begin to feel more accepting of my stretch marks like they're a permanent reminder of how far I've come- wbu?
Original post by ImagineCats
I've lost 40lbs and need to lose 10lbs more to be a healthy weight, but you are indeed such amazing motivation! Congratulations and well done to you! How many "Woah jfc how much weight have you lost?" comments have you got? Those are the best motivators going. Did you get stretch marks? I have quite a lot and had loads to begin with, but I find as I lose more weight I begin to feel more accepting of my stretch marks like they're a permanent reminder of how far I've come- wbu?

There was one of my family members who i havent seen in almost a year we were at a family gathering so I came in and started greeting everyone/hugging my aunts etc. when i came to greet him, he just told me "do i know you?" In a totally serious manner. That was tbh one of the situations that really to this day stand out from all the "woah how much weight have you lost" that i got.

As for stretch marks, i still do have them but they have shrinked so much and became pale white that they are almost unnoticable, plus with the light hair on my stomack they're almost not visible unless you really get close and stare at them, and yes like you said i regard them as a reminder of what i used to be and what i am now.

Oh yea, and congrats on the 40 pounds!! Keep going at it, you are already past the most difficult phase, good luck :smile:
[QUOTE=AspiringCompSci;58138361]There was one of my family members who i havent seen in almost a year we were at a family gathering so I came in and started greeting everyone/hugging my aunts etc. when i came to greet him, he just told me "do i know you?" In a totally serious manner. That was tbh one of the situations that really to this day stand out from all the "woah how much weight have you lost" that i got.

As for stretch marks, i still do have them but they have shrinked so much and became pale white that they are almost unnoticable, plus with the light hair on my stomack they're almost not visible unless you really get close and stare at them, and yes like you said i regard them as a reminder of what i used to be and what i am now.

Oh yea, and congrats on the 40 pounds!! Keep going at it, you are already past the most difficult phase, good luck :smile:

Incredible work mate! :smile:

What is he aim? To get properly ripped and big or to be athletic... Just out of interest.

We all have to deal with the cards we've been dealt ie face, hair colour, height etc etc but we all can have amazing bodies.
You've done a lot of the hard work, just need to keep it going.
Working out or keeping active should just become part of your routine, something that has to happen. You won't relapse if you do that.

A very short time frame to lose that much weight. Shows what you can do.
Well done! :smile: Wow, you have shown so much more willpower and strength than most people - that is so admirable!
Well done. :smile:. When you are determined to do something. It is surprising what you can achieve!
Reply 12
I've done something a bit simliar but lost 10kg and my ideal weight is to lose another 10kg.
The first step is diet, I'm on a primal diet, meat and veg, no processed foods, bread or noodles. Mostly low carbs.
This is not so much a diet as a change in eating habits that I will continue. I can 'cheat' twice a week, have a pasta or pizza.
After going from 104 down to 95 I started running on the tread mill, 40 minutes 4 days a week doing hits- run 60 seconds, walk 30 seconds.
After getting down to 92kg I can run. Now I can run for an hour in the park or do hits run 90second and walk 40seconds, the idea is to get my heart rate up to cardio, before it was to fat burn. While walking my heart rate will stay up maintaining a fat burn. The more weight you lose, even 1-2kg you will feel a significant change in how you can run. Building muscle can be good but is more work and needs to be maintained or it will turn back to fat. Running is the best was to fat burn if you are not too heavy (watch your knees).
Reply 13
Just to remind people, you will likely not lose weight as fast as he did whatever you do because he was most likely way fatter than you are. But his advice is good.
Original post by Silk186
I've done something a bit simliar but lost 10kg and my ideal weight is to lose another 10kg.
The first step is diet, I'm on a primal diet, meat and veg, no processed foods, bread or noodles. Mostly low carbs.
This is not so much a diet as a change in eating habits that I will continue. I can 'cheat' twice a week, have a pasta or pizza.
After going from 104 down to 95 I started running on the tread mill, 40 minutes 4 days a week doing hits- run 60 seconds, walk 30 seconds.
After getting down to 92kg I can run. Now I can run for an hour in the park or do hits run 90second and walk 40seconds, the idea is to get my heart rate up to cardio, before it was to fat burn. While walking my heart rate will stay up maintaining a fat burn. The more weight you lose, even 1-2kg you will feel a significant change in how you can run. Building muscle can be good but is more work and needs to be maintained or it will turn back to fat. Running is the best was to fat burn if you are not too heavy (watch your knees).

Well done buddy.

I'm just quoting this post to point one thing out:
"Muscle needs to be maintained or it will just turn back to fat"

Eh, no mate. That isn't how it works. If you don't work the muscles enough they will shrink but they will not 'turn to fat'. You can gain fat and lose muscle but the two things are different.

Muscle will not stop you losing fat. In fact, it will burn more energy and if you lose the muscle (which isn't advisable) then your weight will drop even more quickly.

So there is zero reason to not use weight training and cardio in conjunction with one another.

More muscle = higher BMR
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 15
I wasn't saying that it is wrong to use muscle gain, and you are correct, more muscle mass increases fat burn. I'm saying if you bulk up and than stop.
Hi,

Congrats :smile:
As for the girl, well sometime during my journey I decided that someone who doesn't accept me and support me in any state I am in isn't worth asking :smile:

lol at the people having a go at the girl

But let me as you this, would you date a girl who is overweight and not very attractive but has a "Great personality" and a few things in common with you?
Great story OP! I find water helps to stop hunger pangs a bit, but I'm more...trying to get lean... 12Kg in 12 weeks is the goal!
Original post by Unistudent77
Incredible work mate! :smile:

What is he aim? To get properly ripped and big or to be athletic... Just out of interest.

We all have to deal with the cards we've been dealt ie face, hair colour, height etc etc but we all can have amazing bodies.
You've done a lot of the hard work, just need to keep it going.
Working out or keeping active should just become part of your routine, something that has to happen. You won't relapse if you do that.

A very short time frame to lose that much weight. Shows what you can do.

So sorry for the really late reply. My aim is to get ripped and big, in a healthy way of course :smile: And definitely good advice

Original post by CharmingCat
Well done! :smile: Wow, you have shown so much more willpower and strength than most people - that is so admirable!

Thank you :smile:

Original post by S-man10
lol at the people having a go at the girl

But let me as you this, would you date a girl who is overweight and not very attractive but has a "Great personality" and a few things in common with you?

Actually, the girl I'm dating now is overweight by 21 kg, but she makes me laugh like crazy and I really enjoy her company. We work out daily in the gym after our summer work and we're progressing together. I am not saying that overweight is attractive nor healthy because it is not, but the way I see it is that I really like her personality so why not find a way to make this work for both of us, isn't this what's important?

Original post by The_Internet
Great story OP! I find water helps to stop hunger pangs a bit, but I'm more...trying to get lean... 12Kg in 12 weeks is the goal!

Water definitely saved me from binge eating several times. I would drink 2 liters of waters and by the time I was done, I would have an inflated balloon in my stomach that won't absorb anything :biggrin:
And good luck with your Goal, definitely achievable if you set your mind to it.

Latest