The Student Room Group

Cambridge Offer Holders 2015 thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by umutalberts
Don't they have to accept you if your remark makes your grade go up abs you meet your offer by 31st August?

Posted from TSR Mobile

No.

Unfortunately, it is only recommended by UCAS that they accept you if the remark goes up by the 31st August. Technically they can decline you on the day of results.

However, most universities will honour the 31st deadline - but you'd need to discuss it with them on the day of results if you miss your offer.
Original post by Lucilou101
No.

Unfortunately, it is only recommended by UCAS that they accept you if the remark goes up by the 31st August. Technically they can decline you on the day of results.

However, most universities will honour the 31st deadline - but you'd need to discuss it with them on the day of results if you miss your offer.

I'm pretty sure they are obliged to... That'd be ridiculously unfair if they didn't have to, as it was no fault of their own.

Anyway, Cambridge specifically state conditions are to be met by 31st August. At least that was in my offer conditions, so we're fine here!
Did anyone go to the Cambridge Sutton trust summer school? If so, did you like it and do you think it helped you get the offer?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by TVIO
So if you do miss the offer by a fair bit is there any point in contacting them or would rejected on track be final. How do they communicate what they want you to do?

This post from someone in Peterhouse's Admission Office may help you.

Original post by Peterhouse Admissions
Hi it's Martin the Admissions Assistant here. I'm going to use bold in a slightly OTT way so you can all see what to do. Think of this as your reference for what to do when you get your results.Hopefully you will find that despite all the worrying, you have done well and have met your offer. If this is the case there's nothing you need to do - we'll be in touch by post that morning (provided Royal Mail cooperate). It may take some time for your UCAS track to be confirmed - we have to confirm each offer individually and this then has to be communicated to UCAS. Don't panic if it doesn't update - any offer you were made was binding and if you've achieved the conditions, you're in.If you find that you haven't achieved your offer, don't panic. There are some things you can do to be helpful and help us reach a decision. Firstly, don't phone the College on results day if you can help it. The phones ring off the hook and you might find it engaged or not answered. We get a LOT of calls that day from parents, students, teachers concerning missed offers, achieved offers, whether we do clearing or adjustment etc.Instead, it is much better to email the college admissions office with the subject as "Offer missed - name, subject" then in the email state what the offer was, what grades you got and what the UMS scores are and whether you are requesting a remark. We already know who has missed and what grades they got but it's helpful to be reminded and the UMS is new and useful information. Emailing allows us to very easily print/forward it for the relevant people and put a copy in your file.You have until the 31st August to achieve your conditions so if you grades increase to meet your offer following a remark and we get the confirmation before this date then your binding offer stands and your place is guaranteed. If it is after this date then nothing is guaranteed and everything is done on a case-by-case basis.Please also note that we are unable to discuss anything with anyone apart from the candidate themselves. It is important that you send the email and if you do want to get in touch by phone it needs to be you, not your parents or teacher (or at least you need to be available to take the phone when we get to the important bit). It is not worth your parents calling us up independently as there's nothing we can discuss with them.This will help us immensely. Thanks all!

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3397431&p=57765823#post57765823

Good luck with your result! :smile:
No.

Re-copying the relevant part to set the record straight. :wink:

Original post by Peterhouse Admissions
Hi it's Martin the Admissions Assistant here. ............

You have until the 31st August to achieve your conditions so if you grades increase to meet your offer following a remark and we get the confirmation before this date then your binding offer stands and your place is guaranteed. If it is after this date then nothing is guaranteed and everything is done on a case-by-case basis.!

Original post by vincrows
Re-copying the relevant part to set the record straight. :wink:

Possibly Cambridge specific.
Original post by L'Evil Fish
Possibly Cambridge specific.

Possibly. But this is Cambridge specific thread. :biggrin:
No.

To add to what the other posters said: I read somewhere (unfortunately I don't remember the source) that since they are obliged to accept you, they may stick you into another college or give you a deferred entry unconditional offer if there aren't any places left. 31st August is a binding contract after all.

Posted from TSR Mobile
To add to what the other posters said: I read somewhere (unfortunately I don't remember the source) that since they are obliged to accept you, they may stick you into another college or give you a deferred entry unconditional offer if there aren't any places left. 31st August is a binding contract after all.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I attended a UCAS seminar last week where they explicitly stated that there is no obligation to take students after results day and that the 31st August deadline is only suggested.

Saying that, most unis will still honour the offer. Although yes as you've said this may be through a deferred offer etc

As we can see from earlier posts though, Cambridge seems to honour the 31st deadline so it's not an issue here.
Original post by Mystery.
Did anyone go to the Cambridge Sutton trust summer school? If so, did you like it and do you think it helped you get the offer?

I did :h: I went to the 2014 summer school for medicine, and I had the best time! I stayed at St John's and ended up applying there (and getting an offer!). I don't know if it helped, but I wrote about it in my personal statement and at the cambridge interview. The experience it gave may have helped yes, but I don't think it made me more favoured than any other applicant if that's what you mean :smile:
Reply 2970
Original post by vincrows
This post from someone in Peterhouse's Admission Office may help you.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3397431&p=57765823#post57765823

Good luck with your result! :smile:

Email it is then. Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

Your offer is between the College and the offer-holder (not just the University and the offer-holder). The only ways you would end up at another College are via the Summer Pool in the case of a missed offer (if you miss the offer conditions it isn't binding) or through mutual agreement.

If you meet your result following a remark but after 31st August then you might be given a deferred offer. I'm running a results day query thread if anyone has anything else they would like cleared up.
I attended a UCAS seminar last week where they explicitly stated that there is no obligation to take students after results day and that the 31st August deadline is only suggested.

Saying that, most unis will still honour the offer. Although yes as you've said this may be through a deferred offer etc

As we can see from earlier posts though, Cambridge seems to honour the 31st deadline so it's not an issue here.

Completely unrelated to results day...but do Oxford have an extenuating circumatances form like Cambridge do?
Original post by Mystery.

Original post by Elishaclark2
I did :h: I went to the 2014 summer school for medicine, and I had the best time! I stayed at St John's and ended up applying there (and getting an offer!). I don't know if it helped, but I wrote about it in my personal statement and at the cambridge interview. The experience it gave may have helped yes, but I don't think it made me more favoured than any other applicant if that's what you mean :smile:

Just to add to what Elisha said, I attended the 2013 law summer school (I also stayed at St John's) and recently finished my first year studying law at Caius :tongue:

The week was a fantastic introduction into law, with a very busy schedule filled with seminars held by some amazing lecturers. There were some really helpful talks on how to refine our applications and lots of fun social events too. I would definitely recommend anyone considering studying at Oxbridge from a state school (especially one with little history of sending students to Oxbridge) to apply, it dispels a lot of myths about the universities and is thoroughly worthwhile.

Like Elisha, I too mentioned the summer school on my PS and discussed it at my interview. I know a lot of people who were on the 2013 law ST scheme that are now at Cambridge/Oxford. Imo, it was definitely a factor in me getting an offer. But, beyond that, it was worthwhile for helping me decide that I did want to study law at university and that I was good enough to apply to the best universities to do so.
So definitely email with UMS and remark details rather than call in if you miss your offer then? If you are 'Unsuccessful' on Track is that the end despite possible remarks?
Original post by Elcor
So definitely email with UMS and remark details rather than call in if you miss your offer then? If you are 'Unsuccessful' on Track is that the end despite possible remarks?

Email with ums and remark details if conditional.

If you are planning on remarks, and it is a rejection, do the same.

Tbh though, I am 100% sure you're in :tongue: so don't need to worry about those details
Original post by Elcor

No, as per above, if you are successfully remarked before 31st Aug then Cambridge will honour your offer.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jneill
No, as per above, if you are successfully remarked before 31st Aug then Cambridge will honour your offer.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah right, pretty sure the TSR guide says that it's The End by The Doors if it comes up with unsuccessful on Track.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by newblood
Completely unrelated to results day...but do Oxford have an extenuating circumatances form like Cambridge do?

Not really no, instead your referee is supposed to contact the college with the information and circumstances etc
Original post by L'Evil Fish
Tbh though, I am 100% sure you're in :tongue: so don't need to worry about those details

I'm not :eek:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending