The Student Room Group

Cambridge Offer Holders 2015 thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by EHZ17
Yeah 3A*s, I self taught AS FM and got full marks.. for all the teachers who thought I was arrogant doing my own thing ayee :wink:

M2 was weird, I used like 2 booklets of workings and everything was crossed out, god knows how the marker managed it haha

Haha well done! I just had absolutely no understanding of mechanics so the b I got in it was happy days for me :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by NinjaPandaa
Haha well done! I just had absolutely no understanding of mechanics so the b I got in it was happy days for me :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ahh well done in that case, I needed something stupid like 7 marks so I placed less focus on it this year :P

You looking forward to it?
Original post by EHZ17
Ahh well done in that case, I needed something stupid like 7 marks so I placed less focus on it this year :P

You looking forward to it?

Yeah I completely lost patience with the subject so yeah

Yeah should be good although have to say I'm a bit edgy about the British economic history module - haven't done any sort of history since year 9 lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah should be good although have to say I'm a bit edgy about the British economic history module - haven't done any sort of history since year 9 lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

That sounds like a great module!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm not really fussed about the work as yet, its more the settling in period I'm concerned about hah

History should be quite nice tho, I already have the two text books, flicked through them. Both of them are twice as thick as the A Level economics book :/

How was your epq?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I can't remember the last time I wrote an essay, worried anything I write will just be torn apart haha. But it sounds very interesting nevertheless :smile:
Original post by EHZ17
I'm not really fussed about the work as yet, its more the settling in period I'm concerned about hah

History should be quite nice tho, I already have the two text books, flicked through them. Both of them are twice as thick as the A Level economics book :/

How was your epq?

With the reading list for econ, what textbooks are you getting? I got sent a list with so many books that I'm not really sure which to get and how many to get now or later.
Original post by stardude8
With the reading list for econ, what textbooks are you getting? I got sent a list with so many books that I'm not really sure which to get and how many to get now or later.

I didnt have a reading list sent to me, I just found the books on the website. I would try to read like 2 or 3 of the general books, they cant expect you to read textbooks prior to coming
Original post by EHZ17
I didnt have a reading list sent to me, I just found the books on the website. I would try to read like 2 or 3 of the general books, they cant expect you to read textbooks prior to coming

Ahh ok - I'm not going to try to read the textbooks lol I've got another year for that :wink: - I guess you just get them from the libraries when you get there then (textbooks)?
Original post by Gaiaphage
They did indeed, and the years they don't have a ball they join in with St Johns which apparently is the best so I think it's safe to say I've had my fair share of luck! Ooh I went to the Clare one too and I loved it but again I thought I'd have a better chance at Sidney, maybe we saw eachother haha!

wwhhhaaattttt I didn't know we got to join in with johns :O (sidneyite here too)
1.) Considering getting an RS remark. I feel like a dick but I thought I'd smashed the unit 3 exam and I don't have anything to lose now :tongue:

2.) So psyched for uni aaaaah there are so many books to read and so little time
Original post by ILovePancakes
:frown:

Things happen for a reason and whilst I'm dying inside atm (really really didn't expect Durham to reject me), I need to try and stay positive. I've been given a year to both enrich my application and myself; my head of sixth form said that most people would kill for a year to do whatever they want.

(can you notice this is what I keep telling myself to make it better?)

I'm sure whatever I do will be worthwhile and I'm going to resit the subjects where I missed my predicted grades.

Also, in all of the stress of the past couple of days I didn't say well done to your son and indeed well done to everyone who met their offers!

You did brilliantly in your results, please don't lose sight of that, and I hope you have a fantastic time in your gap year; those IB results will get you into some damn good universities. :smile:

Original post by tomfailinghelp
I didn't even know Christ's was particularly prestigious 😄 no complaints! I just chose the college which had the greatest number of cats - easy choice (and the admissions guy is pretty cool).

Awesome, though. I've only been to the city twice so I did not know that at all :smile:

Christ's is pretty prestigious! Aww I want a college cat :tongue:
Original post by aprocrastinator
First: I'm so chuffed for you! So great they still let you in, it's obvious the marks you received were an anomaly. I'm doing Medicine too, so I may see you at Cam!

But another thing: I got weird marks for my AQA biology exams too. I got an A overall and fortunately an A* in bio was not specified but I was still very disappointed because I felt the exams went really well and I was generally hitting well over full UMS in past papers. So have you considered remarking your exams? It's possible (but slim) they have made mistakes with the papers as I heard other people receiving odd grades from AQA too? But ofc why waste the money since you're already in, just telling you my experience :smile:

Thanks so much, congratulations to you too! Yeah I feel exactly the same, I got 27 marks less than my mock in Biol 5 and I thought the exam went really well. I'm getting it remarked but haven't heard back yet - I'd already asked before I heard about Cambridge. Strangely, my friend who usually got very similar marks to me ended up with full UMS despite bursting into tears after the exam...
I'm also getting the script back to check it scanned properly (just for peace of mind rather than an actual concern) but that's not back yet either.

Can I ask which college you're going to? :smile: Sidney sussex don't usually specify A* in Bio/Chem for medicine but this year they did, I wish I'd applied to one that didn't to save the stress! :wink:
Original post by tara8000
wwhhhaaattttt I didn't know we got to join in with johns :O (sidneyite here too)

I thought I'd seen it somewhere but I just googled it and maybe I'm making it up, I couldn't find it anywhere! :P

We do have a pretty snazzy website for this year though... I've heard Sidney is well known for its great May Balls relative to its size
Reply 3514
I thought I'd seen it somewhere but I just googled it and maybe I'm making it up, I couldn't find it anywhere! :P

We do have a pretty snazzy website for this year though... I've heard Sidney is well known for its great May Balls relative to its size

Hi, I'm on Sidney's may ball committee for this year. I don't think that the thing about John's is true (at least, I haven't heard anything about it!). However, you are correct about our excellent may ball reputation. It's a lot for our team this year to keep up with! The website you linked to is the one from 2014's may ball. There will be a new one later this academic year :smile:
Original post by paradoxicalme
High five! Got your A* in lit then? :biggrin:

Yes, I managed to get full UMS this year! Not sure how
I got the other A* in psychology, and an A in biology (all sorts of complications with those exams at the time so I'll take it)
How did you get on?
Original post by matwx
Hi, I'm on Sidney's may ball committee for this year. I don't think that the thing about John's is true (at least, I haven't heard anything about it!). However, you are correct about our excellent may ball reputation. It's a lot for our team this year to keep up with! The website you linked to is the one from 2014's may ball. There will be a new one later this academic year :smile:

Thanks for correcting me, sorry I got so much wrong!:wink: Maybe it was someone saying since Sidney only have a ball every two years (that bit's right at least isn't it?) they decided to go to the St John's one instead... does that sound more feasible? :tongue:

I'm really looking forward to Sidney's one this year and I think it's great that I'll have one in my 1st year, they're the stuff of legend! :wink:
Thanks for correcting me, sorry I got so much wrong!:wink: Maybe it was someone saying since Sidney only have a ball every two years (that bit's right at least isn't it?) they decided to go to the St John's one instead... does that sound more feasible? :tongue:

I'm really looking forward to Sidney's one this year and I think it's great that I'll have one in my 1st year, they're the stuff of legend! :wink:

Many people go to other colleges' Balls as long as they can afford it and get a ticket. :wink:
My daughter and her friends went to at least 2 balls a year, 3 in the final year.
If you can get a job as their catering/maintenance/ etc staff on the day of their Balls, you can get a discount ticket at half the price in exchange for your labour for 1/2 day; so basically you work 1/2 of Ball and enjoy the other 1/2.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by JamesJL
Yes, I managed to get full UMS this year! Not sure how
I got the other A* in psychology, and an A in biology (all sorts of complications with those exams at the time so I'll take it)
How did you get on?

A*A*A*A for me! Also managed an A* in lit with full UMS this year, which is absolutely unbelievable as in I never believed it would happen :tongue: Got full UMS in maths A2, an A* in psychology and a mid A in RS (which I'm alright with, although it's weird that the 3 of us who were all predicted A*s in RS ended up with mid-low As). I guess I'll be seeing you around in October :biggrin:
Reply 3519

There's no need to be sorry :smile: I went to Jesus and Homerton may balls last year. You're lucky to have a Sidney ball in your first year, it's going to be the only one for me during my degree!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending