The Student Room Group

Creepy sleep paralysis experience?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Danno190
Kinda, I can normally control whether I turn left or right for example, or think about what to say to someone in a dream before actually saying it to them the way you would in real life. And I'm almost always aware I'm dreaming.

And most days when I wake I often think "Am I awake now?" and then either carry on dreaming even though I may be sitting up in bed for example.

There's also been a couple of times during the day when I've been convinced that something which actually happened was a dream and not real... I've been ignoring this as I don't want to be labelled as reverse-hallucinating or something.

Crazy question for you here dude. Which hand do you write with?
Do you remember what he looked like? So you felt safe instead of scared when you saw the figure?

What was going through your mind when you saw the doll from Saw? That sounds really frightening.

Jesus ****. Look at that scary ****er.

Spoiler

You get used to it after a while. I have it like once a week (sometimes more, sometimes less).

The key is just to relax and gently wriggle yourself free. The sensation of a pressure being on your chest and barely being able to breath can be unsettling but once you accept that it's all in your mind it's relatively easy to break out of calmly.
Original post by ExRN
Crazy question for you here dude. Which hand do you write with?

Uhh... My right? Although generally in terms of hand dominance, I guess it's a 40/50 split. Sometimes I find I can do things better with my left, but not totally ambidextrous.
Original post by Novascope
I used to suffer from this a lot in the past, such an awful thing. It started off with me just not being able to move but I could see my surroundings, I always thought it was a dream. Then things got disturbing when I started to feel pressure on different parts of my body and feeling light breathing across my face or down the back of my neck. Then I started seeing dark figures that would just stand in front of me. Only one time did I ever see a face and honestly I cried a little when I got out of it. Usually I coped with it because after a while I learnt how to calm myself down and also get out of it quicker. But the one time I saw that face I was terrified to sleep for weeks. I had a little nap one evening around 6/7, and when I went into it I literally felt as if someone has pushed down the extra pillow behind me, then I felt breathing on my neck. I managed to turn around somehow and I kid you not I saw a man sitting on my desk chair smiling at me. I couldn't scream, I couldn't move or do anything. I was just crying on the inside until eventually it went away. Whenever I got out of the sleep paralysis I would always have this weird feeling as if something has just escaped from my body... Very strange and I am so thankful I don't experience this anymore.

Have you experienced this recently? The man in the chair thing is scary. How long did that one last? It seems from other posts here that seeing figures is common. I have no idea how you felt, this sounds awful.
Reply 26
Original post by thecatwithnohat
Does your dog not react while this is going on if she's close by? And why arent you scared by the figure, could you recognize its voice? Did it speak like a normal person?

Yeah it spoke normally at the time I was pretty scared I tried shouting as I was staying in my parents but I couldn't when I woke up I knew it was just sleep paralysis so I tried to go back to sleep. But I did find the whole experience pretty weird with it just laying next to me just repeating the same thing o.O
Original post by TornadoGR4

Jesus ****. Look at that scary ****er.

Spoiler

You scared the life out of me, I was NOT prepared for that :cry2: I'm sitting in the dark and my heart is racing lol.
Thank you for explaining it to me :hugs: I'm glad you haven't experienced something like that lately.
Original post by iSerendipity
Have you experienced this recently? The man in the chair thing is scary. How long did that one last? It seems from other posts here that seeing figures is common. I have no idea how you felt, this sounds awful.

Thankfully no. I can't remember how long ago my last one was. I really don't want to go through it again lol. Umm from what I can remember probably around 10 seconds. Doesn't seem long but when you're in a situation like that it seems like forever. Thing is with sleep paralysis I can understand the science behind it, like why it happens because what happens to our body, but as for the figures and feelings, I personally believe it's somewhere on the supernatural scale. What science explains (from what I've researched) hasn't mentioned hallucinations or anything- as that would be many people's reasoning for the figures. But that's just my opinion :smile:
There was one time where I remember laying on the bed face-down and I was stuck and couldn't shift my head left or right to breathe. Next thing you know I felt the back of my body begin to levitate, as if something was grabbing me, literally lifting me and what made it even worse was that I was hearing air sucking noises, so I remember struggling to break free because I felt so stiff and found it incredibly difficult to turn my head to breathe. One of the most scariest experiences of my life, not being able to breathe at all for what felt like a minute and a bit. That's long for me :frown:

Ever since then, I only suffer from sleep paralysis once every fortnight and it's become manageable now.
Reply 31
That's so scary! I had no idea this is what it's like. Do you remember what this man looked like? Can you remember the first time you had sleep paralysis, did you know about it? What is the most scariest one you've experienced? This thread is really interesting :smile:

I couldn't make anything out other than a shadow like figure I had it a day or two after one that I found really creepy, I thought I woke up from a dream where a city was being destroyed I didn't know what by so I was running until I fell over which at that point I felt like I was a wake and opened my eyes where I could see a women. From far away she looked like a young women in her 20s just walking over in a long grey coat with curled black hair just walking over with a sinister smile. As she came closer her face changed and she started to turn into a demon looking creature until she got to my head all the while still smiling.
She crouched down next to my head and looked at my her eyes where nothing but white. Her wings spread out around me and she held out her hand to touch my eyes gently and just whispered to me in a calm voice "Try not to wake up".
I couldn't get back to sleep after that. But I couldn't help that and the one with the shadow man was connected in someway which I guess sounds silly.

The first time I saw what looked like a homeless man crawl out from my bed with a look of pure anger.
He bent over me and just strangled me. I tried my hardest to move or scream to do anything to get the man off me but I couldn't do a thing. All I could do was watch as this man tried to kill me. I felt suffocated and like I couldn't last any longer until it was over. I had no idea what had happened.
I stupidly checked to see if all my doors where locked and then I looked it up.

I feel like the scariest one was the first as I had no idea what had happened with the others I knew what was going on so they don't tend to bother me as much.
Another weird question: what sleeping position are you in when this happens? On your back? In a cocoon? On your stomach?
Reply 33
Uhh... My right? Although generally in terms of hand dominance, I guess it's a 40/50 split. Sometimes I find I can do things better with my left, but not totally ambidextrous.

reason I asked that was, being left handed gives an increased risk of psychosis. not wanting to scare you or anything but I often get the struggling to differentiate between a dream and reality. It's one of the first signs of early onset psychosis along with things like closed eye hallucinations, hearing things that are not there etc. I have my name called to me regular when falling to sleep and with a lack of sleep I get musical hallucinations (not ear worms). Like songs are playing on an underwater radio. Can make the lyrics out if I listen hard enough and the majority of the time the songs are from the 1960s and I swear I've never heard them before. I have to put the lyrics into Google to find out what the songs are. When I close my eyes laying down I see clouds that come towards me too and...... ready for the crazy part...... people appear through the clouds in HD detail and smile at me. 100% serious this by the way. do you get any of the added extras?
Original post by ExRN
do you get any of the added extras?

I sometimes hear people call my name when there's no one there, or even when surrounded by people but none of them have said anything. Also before I go to sleep most nights I think I hear snippets of conversation from family members
which I usually try and put down to starting to dream before falling asleep, or a combination of suddenly sensitive hearing and them talking in their sleep from another room.

I also get the odd smell hallucination too, either as a memory type smell (grandpa's tobacco smoke, great nan's perfume) or else just random smells that no one else can smell when I ask them.

Umm... :hide:
Thankfully no. I can't remember how long ago my last one was. I really don't want to go through it again lol. Umm from what I can remember probably around 10 seconds. Doesn't seem long but when you're in a situation like that it seems like forever. Thing is with sleep paralysis I can understand the science behind it, like why it happens because what happens to our body, but as for the figures and feelings, I personally believe it's somewhere on the supernatural scale. What science explains (from what I've researched) hasn't mentioned hallucinations or anything- as that would be many people's reasoning for the figures. But that's just my opinion :smile:

I'm glad you haven't had one recently. 10 seconds is really long, I thought you were going to say half that time. I don't really know anything about this, is the scientific part of it to with how sleep pattern and stress increases chances of this happening? I can understand why you would associate the figures with the supernatural :smile: May I ask what the man on the chair looked like to you?
I'm glad you haven't had one recently. 10 seconds is really long, I thought you were going to say half that time. I don't really know anything about this, is the scientific part of it to with how sleep pattern and stress increases chances of this happening? I can understand why you would associate the figures with the supernatural :smile: May I ask what the man on the chair looked like to you?

Me too haha. Well from what I know the reasons for it happening can be due to lack of sleep, stress or dramatic change in sleeping pattern. I think I once read that environment too might be a factor? But don't quote me on that. So I started working on that and it did stop it eventually. Hmm, he was white and skinny (especially in his face, so he kinda looked wrinkly but not old), dressed in all black and he had the creepiest smile on his face as if he were trying to imitate the Joker or something.
Original post by Joey321
I couldn't make anything out other than a shadow like figure I had it a day or two after one that I found really creepy, I thought I woke up from a dream where a city was being destroyed I didn't know what by so I was running until I fell over which at that point I felt like I was a wake and opened my eyes where I could see a women. From far away she looked like a young women in her 20s just walking over in a long grey coat with curled black hair just walking over with a sinister smile. As she came closer her face changed and she started to turn into a demon looking creature until she got to my head all the while still smiling.
She crouched down next to my head and looked at my her eyes where nothing but white. Her wings spread out around me and she held out her hand to touch my eyes gently and just whispered to me in a calm voice "Try not to wake up".
I couldn't get back to sleep after that. But I couldn't help that and the one with the shadow man was connected in someway which I guess sounds silly.

The first time I saw what looked like a homeless man crawl out from my bed with a look of pure anger.
He bent over me and just strangled me. I tried my hardest to move or scream to do anything to get the man off me but I couldn't do a thing. All I could do was watch as this man tried to kill me. I felt suffocated and like I couldn't last any longer until it was over. I had no idea what had happened.
I stupidly checked to see if all my doors where locked and then I looked it up.

I feel like the scariest one was the first as I had no idea what had happened with the others I knew what was going on so they don't tend to bother me as much.

I can't believe people go through this :frown: The first one must have been awful with the strangling and not knowing what's happening. How old were you when you first had it? How often do you have them now, when was the last one and do you not get frightened by it any more? Also, I don't know anything about this so can you tell me why people have them please? :smile:
Reply 38
I sometimes hear people call my name when there's no one there, or even when surrounded by people but none of them have said anything. Also before I go to sleep most nights I think I hear snippets of conversation from family members
which I usually try and put down to starting to dream before falling asleep, or a combination of suddenly sensitive hearing and them talking in their sleep from another room.

I also get the odd smell hallucination too, either as a memory type smell (grandpa's tobacco smoke, great nan's perfume) or else just random smells that no one else can smell when I ask them.

Umm... :hide:

Another question that may appear strange...... any autistic spectrum stuff in the family? That smell stuff I don't get, but is that triggered by anything? I have something else called color grapheme synaesthesia where my numbers and letters appear in different colours. it's all linked man. one more awkward one....... use any substances? stimulants, eurogics etc?
Me too haha. Well from what I know the reasons for it happening can be due to lack of sleep, stress or dramatic change in sleeping pattern. I think I once read that environment too might be a factor? But don't quote me on that. So I started working on that and it did stop it eventually. Hmm, he was white and skinny (especially in his face, so he kinda looked wrinkly but not old), dressed in all black and he had the creepiest smile on his face as if he were trying to imitate the Joker or something.

Ah thanks for the explanation :smile: Is there a reason why some people experience this and not others? The Joker smile is creepy :eek: How old were you when you saw that particular dream? And would you say that was your scariest experience? Do you remember the first time you went through it, did you know what was happening to you?

Quick Reply

Latest